Forums are back in action! ×

Hello!

I just joined NerdFitness on Monday, and figured I should come over to the forums to introduce myself. I’ve heard nothing but great things about this community, and I’m hoping that by finding some people to help hold me accountable, I’ll have a harder time falling off the bandwagon.

Where to begin? Well, my name is Chris. I’m a (nearly) 32 year old male living in Norfolk, VA. I’m currently active duty military in the Navy. I’m a MMN1 (Nuclear Machinist’s Mate). If there are any other Navy people on here, especially Nukes, I’m qualified as an Engineering Laboratory Technician (ELT). I’ve currently been in the Navy for just over 6.5 years. I previously served on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) and am transferring commands to the USS La Jolla (SSN-701). I originally hail from Cincinnati, OH. I’ve been married to my unbelievably awesome wife, Lindsay, for just over 4 years. I’m a big nerd (obviously). I love video games, movies, TV, etc.

I joined this site for a few reasons:

First, being in the Navy means I have to meet minimum fitness standards every six months, including meeting weight requirements for my height and performing ‘X’ amount of pushups, sit-ups, and making time on a 1.5 mile run. When I joined, I’d say I was in average shape and about 155 lbs. But since I’ve been in, I am now currently at 191 lbs, and struggle to meet my requirements. I’m actually above weight for my height at the moment, with the limit being 186 lbs. So, if I don’t drop weight before my next weigh-in, it can seriously affect my ability to advance.

Second, long ago in high school (which was over 13 years ago), I used to be in fantastic shape. I never worked out, but I was fairly active playing soccer and being in marching band (I was a drummer, if you’re curious). I was kind of skinny, about 135 lbs, but I could run for miles without a problem. After I went to college, I gained a little weight, but not too much. But I’ve been on a slippery slope ever since, and I’m embarrassed by my weight gain. I’ve gotten a total “dad bod” and I’m not even a dad, yet. The worst part is, it looks like I have a beer gut, but I hardly drink (and by hardly, I might have maybe 10 drinks a year). It’s all junk food and a sedentary lifestyle, and I’d probably be in even worse shape if I didn’t do what physical activity I do for the Navy.

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, I’ve fallen off the bandwagon so many times the past several years. I’ve intermittently began running, watching what I’ve eaten, etc. I’ve bought 2 different types of Fitbits. I’ve done all kinds of research. But I always fall into old habits. It’s just so much easier to do nothing than it is to do something. And what I’ve seen so far with this program is that it takes all the guesswork away. I don’t need to figure out my workout routine. I don’t need to worry about what foods I should be eating. I just follow the guides. Granted, I’ve only been at this since Monday, but this attempt at taking care of my body just seems “different”. Plus, that sweet potato hash brown recipe is amazing.

I’ve chosen Assassin as my class, because I’ve been fascinated by parkour athletes for the longest time. They generally have the lean, quick athleticism I’m most interested in obtaining, and I don’t want to spend hours on YouTube watching their videos; I want to spend hours making parkour videos to post on YouTube. Plus, when the zombie apocalypse happens, everyone knows it’ll be the fastest people who survive.

I’m just hoping that I can meet some people on this site to help hold ourselves accountable and provide a support system to keep going when things get tough. Which, it will. It always does. I’m already incredibly inspired by the success stories I’ve seen, and one day, I’d love to be featured as one, and help others make it there as well.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/238096

• Like 3

Hey Chris, welcome to Nerd Fitness! We're glad to have you. 

You've arrived just in time to join the upcoming Four Week Challenge if you're interested. It'll be starting on October 22, but some people have already jumped in. 4WCs are a great way to break into the NF lifestyle, get your bearings, and make some friends on the boards. Since you're new, even if you're planning to set up with the Assassins, I'd recommend starting out in the Lv 1 guild so you can get to know some other people who are just starting out. Even while you're in the Lv 1 guild, you can visit Assassin challenges and maybe even participate in their guild mini-challenge if you're interested. 

Let us know if you have any questions about the forums. You can tag people (@Wobbegong) or pm me anytime if you need anything. Best of luck with your goals! :) And again, welcome to Nerd Fitness!

Welcome to the Rebellion, Chris! I'm so glad you found your way here and I'm so excited to see you crush your goals - thank you so much for your service to our country!!

Since you've already chosen your class, I'm sure you have found the Beginner's Guidebook; but just in case you haven't seen it yet, here are the instructions and FAQs for the 4-week challenges:

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/help.html/4-week-challenges/challenge-instructions-and-faq/

And if you want to watch for a month or even jump in halfway, that's totally fine!

Again, WELCOME to the Rebellion! I know I'm a Ranger and you're headed to the Assassins, but if there's anything I can do to help you be successful, please don't hesitate to let me know!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers