Forums are back in action! ×

Your workout mantra

ScrabbleGirl

Do you have phrases you say to yourself in your head when you're working out? I always have Jillian Michaels saying "You can do anything for 10 seconds" and I adapt it for however long I have left. It works for me.

I'm trying to think of a good one for lunges, because mine absolutely suck.

Anyway, what are your workout mantras?

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

It really depends on what I'm doing at that point, but it can run the gambit from Dory's "just keep swimmin' just keep swimmin' just keep swimmin' swimmin' swimmin'" to "listen you stupid ***** ****** ****** you got yourself here so just ball up and ***** do it" which isn't exactly constructive but it does help me gather some aggression to push through.

My trainer last night had a new employee that he was using us as guinea pigs for, and the new guy (sorry new guy, but I don't remember your name!) said something to the effect that if you just buckle down for the 30 seconds or whatever it is, you'll be done and never have to think about it again, which I thought was a really good sentiment...after I was done doing squat jumps for a million years :)

PS - I like that Jillian Michaels one. It totally helps to put things in perspective when you're hurtin'.

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Mine's in my sig. Trying to remember the exact words distracts me from how much pain I'm in.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

When I run (which I loathe) I usually switch between "I hate this I hate this I hate this" to "just on more .1 mi, just one more .1" then "only 1 more mile". I read a great book on running and this supper awesome coach said to break everything down into little goals versus one big one. For example, instead of "I have to run 5K" it's "I'm running only 1K 5x's". I always think about that when I'm running. He's also the same guy that talks about visualizing holding butterflies when you run. I love that. It helps keep me focused on not wasting energy. So, I visualize holding butterflies.

When I do tabata protocols, I always think about this quote from Dan John (quoted on a blog - address after this): And remember this: you really shouldn’t consider doing much after the Tabata workout. Your lungs will be going like a locomotive engine. Go ahead and plan anything you like, but don’t be surprised if it just doesn’t happen. I keep the family dog nearby to chase the carrion birds away while I rest on the sidewalk. For some reason, always makes me laugh and always makes me feel better about the certain death I'm facing in tabata. https://mikeroussell.com/tabata-protocol-complete-exercise-guide/

Lifting heavy is simple: I can do this. I even said it out loud one day while training on bench presses and my trainer said "I know you can". LOL.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

"Dead at 70".

That's what happened to my grandfather. He died of diabetes-related heart disease 6 months before I was born. He was always overweight, and was too stubborn to change his habits. Anytime something seems too hard or I feel too tired to hit the gym, I think of my grandfather and somehow find the strength to get moving.

Then that leads to Brian Blessed as Prince Vultan in 'Flash Gordon' shouting "Who wants to live forever! YAAARGH!" in my head.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Oh yeah, I say that.. I can do anything for x time or x reps or whatever. I didn't realize that was a JM thing. Maybe that's where I heard it..

Also, "Light weight, light weight" and "go hard or go home."

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

When I run, row, walk, whatever -- I count. And I vary it up: ONE two three four ONE two three four. ONE two three four five six ONE two three four five six. Or 6/8 time - ONE two three FOUR five six, ONE two three FOUR five six. For running, I count each step, for rowing, I count each pull.

Before a lift, I think the same thing I think right before I swing a golf club -- Fukkit. It gets me to stop over-thinking the thing and just DO what I am there to do.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Ahahaha yes I bet she would!

Tony Horton does the same thing "you can do anything" and I've adapted it for myself occasionally.

Cliche, but sometimes "just do it."

Also..especially if it's been a while and I'm trying to get back into running or whatever, I'll be like "I know my body can run 3 miles." And that helps push me through it.

Lastly, just the knowledge that when I'm done I can say "I did that."

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Oh yeah, I say that.. I can do anything for x time or x reps or whatever. I didn't realize that was a JM thing. Maybe that's where I heard it..

Also, "Light weight, light weight" and "go hard or go home."

It's probably not a JM thing originally, but she does say it in the 30DS.

I LOVE this thread. Thanks guys!

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

lift the light ones like they are heavy and the heavy ones like they are light

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I inner monologue with myself, pretending that I'm training for some big event that hinges the fate of the human race on my ability to do squats.

And when I'm done with my inner monologue, I shurg and say "F*ck it" and get on with it, it's not like whining about it will make my life any better, ya know?

"Do or do not, there is no try"

Level 1 Assassin.Insert something inspirational here.

It varies for me a lot. If I am moving heavy stuff, I tell myself how sexy I am every time I do a rep. I mean, I straight up talk dirty to myself (inner dialogue LOL) Buffalo Bill style. Or I sing my klaymates original "The eff yeah song." Or I'm just screaming GO GO GO GO GO GO GO AHHHHHHHHHHH in my head the whole time. OOORR I do the thing a lot of you have already mentioned "anyone can do this blah more times." That particular method got me through natural childbirth too.

If I am running, I sing songs I learned in the Navy when we'd go on company runs. Helps me with my breathing, keeps my pace steady, and distracts me from my desire to stop and pee on the side of the road. I do this outloud, although I don't shout myself hoarse anymore.

Honestly though, visualization works better for me than anything. Before I do any workout, I spend 5 minutes visualizing myself kicking ass with perfect form and lots of sweat. Then my eyes snap open and it's go time, and I'll be damned if I give any less in reality than I could in my imagination!

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

My head holds me back more than my body so I find myself saying, "You're stronger than you think" to clear my mind right before the first rep. If I'm listening to music, I'll do the first rep right as the chorus starts. Once I do the first one, the rest are comparitively easy.

For lunges specifically, I feel super-uncoordinated when I do them. Well, I mean, I AM uncoordinated. It's one of my finest traits, I think. Anyway, I try to visualize each muscle as it fires to try to keep perfect form. I know it would be easy to cheat on form so I often find myself saying, "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."

For me, it's all a head game.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Archived