Forums are back in action! ×

Episode 1: The Dadbod Menace....

I’m a NF newbie in search of improved fitness, wellness, and an overall better way of doing things. I somehow found myself in my mid 30’s with an amazing wife, crazy wonderful kid (with one more on the way), great job, aaaaaand the venerable ‘Dadbod’ I always feared. This fearsome Dadbod was forged in the fires of Netflix, Xbox (Overwatch and ESO if you are wondering), take-out, and toddler leftovers.

But I wasn’t always the chunky charmer I’ve now become. Martial Arts and Combat Sports were always a big part of my life, even up to a few years ago during my time competing in Jujitsu and knocking around in MMA & FMA most days of the week. Truth be told, I was trying to fight my way out of crippling depression and alcoholism, and I finally realized I couldn’t do it alone. I’m incredibly thankful to have gotten help from some amazing people and am coming up on 2 years of sobriety, with the healthiest mental & emotional way of dealing with life I’ve ever had.

Now the downside, I’ve been eating like a fat kid at a cake eating contest ever since (mostly Oreos....okay, lots and LOTS of Oreos). I found this site while looking for fitness tips to get back on track and knew you were my people. Love everything about this site and was super excited to see a group of fellow ‘Nerds’ coming together to achieve their fitness and life goals in a way that exudes awesomeness.

So I am here and ready to suit up, show up, and step up for the Rebellion!

A72689C3-17E7-4E2F-9B7E-299A59898175.gif

Hello fellow Kung Fu Panda fan and congratulations on beating the alcoholism and depression. The "fat kid at a cake-eating contest" made me laugh a little. I say that people that have a good sense of humor live longer than those that don't. :lol:  I'm pretty sure too that it states in the member FAQ/Rules page that forum members aren't allowed to only lick the icing in their Oreo's and throw away the cookie parts....or does it? ^_^ 

I feel your dad jokes will be well received on the forum. What guild are you a part of? Mine is "Scout" but I don't recognize yours (the crossbow). 

Thanks @Rubik'sCat! It’s very much a day to day reprieve from the things I used to struggle with, by very happy to have found a solution and to be able to refocus on other things, like reducing my cake and Oreo intake... :D

I’m not sure where the dad jokes started, but started they have and I just lean into them now. I haven’t had a chance to pull the “Hi hungry, I’m Dad” but it will be a red letter day.

From the newbie FAQ, they

requested first timers sign up in the Lvl 1/First Challenge Guild, so that’s where I’m at now. My goal is to go Ranger after that. My knees and back don’t let me keep up with you Scouts anymore, but happy to cheer you on from the sidelines.

Thanks for the welcome and glad to have a Scout I can ask for endurance training tips!