Forums are back in action! ×

Work around for a weird barbell?

Searched but couldn't quite find an answer. The barbell in my gym is attached to a rack that only allows a vertical range of motion. I can raise and lower it but not detach. This makes squat form kinda hard, but my real problem is with deadlifts. I cant set the bar lower than my knees, hampering the range of motion I think DLs are supposed to have. Advice?

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

reiterating: do not use that thing. Find a different gym and use dumbbells until you do.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Dumbells: check. There's also a short squiggly barbell (2-arm curl bar?). I know this can't take the same load as a normal barbell (not that I'm in the heavy weight neighborhood yet), but can this serve as a barbell in the pinch I'm in?

Thanks for letting me know it's a Smith! It doesn't really have a brand label emblazoned on it, so I wouldn't have guessed.

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

those are ez-bars and meant to reduced strain on elbows and wrists when curling. Don't use those either unless you're doing curls.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

those are ez-bars and meant to reduced strain on elbows and wrists when curling. Don't use those either unless you're doing curls.

Or lying tricep extensions.

Goblet squats, and pistol squats, oh and dumbbell swings too. Those are goo for hip hinge action of deadlifts. I believe straight leg/Romanian dead lifts can be done with dumbbels, although depending on where you are with training the weight might not be heavy enough for you...

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Reading this thread I envision all you guys spitting on the Smith machine when you walk past it.

Not spit, but glare with evil eyes, yes....

And the smith machine has some uses but for weight training, not so much.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU--apparently my gym sucks. So its sole redeeming quality right now is it's free (part of my apartment complex).

+1 to all of these :)

Sucks about your gym :( There's no bench for bench presses?

The bench is under the Smith machine....I can use it, but I wanted a damn barbell.

Or lying tricep extensions.

Goblet squats, and pistol squats, oh and dumbbell swings too. Those are goo for hip hinge action of deadlifts. I believe straight leg/Romanian dead lifts can be done with dumbbels, although depending on where you are with training the weight might not be heavy enough for you...

When I tried dead lifts on the Smith, 85 lbs was still fairly easy, but I was also getting only half the range because the lowest I could set it was at my knees. So I actually have no idea yet what my working load is. So now I'm just lost. Cue clueless dog.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2882[/ATTACH]

We don't like the smith machine for the same reason you called it out, it "Makes squat form kinda hard". It takes all the stabilisation out of the exercise, which is half the goodness of it and it won't follow the natural bar bath you would use on a low bar squat.

I can see why your apartment block has one, i'm assuming the gym is unattended, otherwise a cleaner might walk in a day later and find you pinned under an Oly bar.

I've used the smith machine for benching when the other benches are in use, so i can't say i spit on it as i walk past.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

The thing about the smith machine is that it is frequently (and easily) misused. It is really easy to let the bar and the rails do more work than they should, so a couple of things can happen such as you try to add too much weight too soon, or you force your body into an unnatural range of motion with a weight that is too much for your capabilities.

If the smith machine instantly destroyed anyone that came into contact with it, then it wouldn't be in almost every commercial gym around the world.

Your could consider things in a hierarchy of preferred methods:

barbells > resistance bands > dumbbells > body weight > smith

However, this would be for linear strength gains, and even then the middle 3 could be debated.

The key with the smith is to focus on form and don't try to force the weight because you feel safer with the rails and the hooks. If it's all you have, then go for it.

Full disclosure: I use the smith machine for inverted rows and rack pulls only. My gym has a full range of dumbbells, barbells, and a full lifting cage.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

If it's all you have, then go for it.

Full disclosure: I use the smith machine for inverted rows and rack pulls only. My gym has a full range of dumbbells, barbells, and a full lifting cage.

This. It's perfect for inverted rows because I can vary the height for difficulty; also for benching because if I'm close to failure - with no spotter - the pegs lock in and I get to keep my sternum.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about dumbbell exercises yet. I saw a few suggestions and I'll hit up youtube. Pretty frustrated that I've been using this Smith almost a year thinking I was doing good work.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about dumbbell exercises yet. I saw a few suggestions and I'll hit up youtube. Pretty frustrated that I've been using this Smith almost a year thinking I was doing good work.

Don't discount the work you've done. Just realize that it may not translate when you switch to a different style. If you can squat 200lbs in the smith, stepping under 200lbs of free weights will probably cause you to get crushed the first time. Start with the bar and work your way up. You should be able to add weight pretty quickly once you get your stabilizer muscles used to helping.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Archived