Forums are back in action! ×

So excited to have found NF!

Hi all!

I came across a link for Staci's story on Mark's Daily Apple and so decided to check things out. Not sure where to start...

I'm 39, mom to four. Spent ten years as a firefighter until a knee injury and then a move out of my department's response area slowed me way down. I've been working a desk job for the last six years or so and while I enjoy the heck out of it I spent way too much down time and as a result packed on the weight.

Three years ago my mom passed at the age of 59 of a massive heart attack. I had to make the decision to have her unhooked from life support and at that moment made the decision to not ever put my own kids in that agonizing situation. I was raised on fried foods and spent most of my life as a junk food junkie. After mom's death I gave up artificial sweeteners (my headaches went away) and caffeine as a result of a bouts of irregular heart beat and my cardiologists suggesting it. My next thing was to force myself to eat more veggies which is not something I'd ever done unless they were battered and fried or covered in some sort of cheese sauce or dip. So I went vegetarian.

I found a new love for good food but after two years had put on even more weight and found I was constantly fatigued. I read an article on doing a 30 day grain free challenge so decided to give it a try. That was in Sept. I've cheated a few times since and can always tell the difference. When I cut grains I added back in wild caught salmon, shrimp, tuna and grassfed beef when I can find it. I've lost about 11lbs since then without trying and do feel better than when I wasn't eating any meat.

My main form of exercise is yoga and raquetball, some running now and then thrown in from time to time as well. I am hoping to sign up for the 6 week challenge if it isn't too late? Need to go read the thread and see. I would really like to start the beginner body weight circuit workout and go from there.

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this place!

Best to all,

Peggy

Welcome Peggy! I love yoga although I don't do it as much as I would like.

Running was definitely my first love :)

I think you can still sign up for the challenge through today (Wednesday).

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Welcome! Yep, you can still sing up for the challenge through today. Glad to have you.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hi Ryan,

Hmmm my family. Well, we're a strange lot for sure. Out of my four kids two are still at home and ages 12 and 14. The younger one tried grain free with us and lasted 3 days. lol She has since given up soda and chips though so that is a definite plus in my opinion. The 14 yr old would live off Slim jim's and hot cheetoes if I let her... sigh.

I am part of a triad. My male partner went grain free with me and lost 25lbs but has since started eating crap food and gaining it back. My female partner eats no veggies and very little fruit. Her diet consists of mainly meat, bread and applesauce. No really. I'm not even kidding.

Needless to say, I am pretty much in this boat all by myself. lol

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!! As the others said, you are definately not alone. I live with junk food eaters too and I feel like I am living on a $%*# Island at times! Be yourself and hopefully they will see a great change and at least learn from it and accpet it. Im in So Cal so if you ever need a West Coastie to Challenge you when you are feeling down, let me know! Keep it up!!!

Archived