Forums are back in action! ×

Too much Geek, not enough Nerd??

Hey all -

Just joined the Rebellion this week, and wondering if I'm in the right place. Seems like a lot of focus on gaming. I'm definitely a geek/nerd in my own right, but no gaming for me. I'll probably get crucified for this, but I've never watched Star Wars or Star Trek either (though I do know the difference).

I am an IT professional - in fact, I'm the only one for my company. They joked when I started that "if it plugs in, you have to support it." I have discovered, that it isn't so much a joke! I support computers, printers, servers, network, phone system, virtualization, copy machines, ERP, misc. software, CNC programming, disaster recovery, business intelligence, SQL admin/programming, and of course the pebkac/id10t errors. I call myself a "jack of all trades, master of none."

If there's a place for me here, I love the openness and fun attitude of the community. I definitely tend to get along with the nerd/geek crowd better than the typical female drama queens. I'd just like a basic overview of the gaming lingo everyone seems to use, if you're willing to explain.

Health-wise, I'm doing my best to head towards Paleo. I know it's they ultimate way to eat, but am having trouble convincing my pasta-loving, veggie-hating husband and kids. I love anything that makes me sweat a ton! Right now I'm primarily doing Zumba (I'm a licensed instructor), but do some running as well (a few 5K's and a 10K under my belt). I fully intend to venture into heavy lifting afer my baby is born at the end of Sept. I started "New Rules of Lifting for Women," but got stuck in Phase 1 when I found out I was pregnant.

If you're still here, thanks for sticking it out. This got way longer than I intended, and I appreciate any feedback!

Welcome! There's a place for everyone here because we're all nerds in our own right (I don't game anymore, hate Star Wars, and can take or leave Start Trek) :P

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums and hearing about your progress with NRLW (after the baby of course). :)

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Welcome! You'll fit in just fine. We like geeks too (I'm a hardware geek by nature).

Convincing the family is always difficult, but best bet is to do it slowly so they don't notice....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I am an IT professional - in fact, I'm the only one for my company. They joked when I started that "if it plugs in, you have to support it." I have discovered, that it isn't so much a joke! I support computers, printers, servers, network, phone system, virtualization, copy machines, ERP, misc. software, CNC programming, disaster recovery, business intelligence, SQL admin/programming, and of course the pebkac/id10t errors. I call myself a "jack of all trades, master of none."

Be happy you haven't had to troubleshoot a coffee maker yet. People think we IT professionals really do fix everything that either plugs into a wall, part of a computer (including personal devices) or into a phone/ethernet jack. Gotta love the "Other duties as needed" clause on our contracts.

The signature stuff, like "STR:3 | DEX:2 | STA:4 | CON:3 | WIS:2 | CHA:1" and "Ranger/Dwarf/etc" is where I get confused... anyone with the RPG breakdown??

It is for the latest 6 week challenge and possibly for the later ones. Check here:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10716-6-Week-Challenge-April-30th-to-June-11th

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Be happy you haven't had to troubleshoot a coffee maker yet. People think we IT professionals really do fix everything that either plugs into a wall, part of a computer (including personal devices) or into a phone/ethernet jack. Gotta love the "Other duties as needed" clause on our contracts.

So true! I have had this type of conversation before [ATTACH=CONFIG]2995[/ATTACH]

It is for the latest 6 week challenge and possibly for the later ones. Check here:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10716-6-Week-Challenge-April-30th-to-June-11th

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

post-6278-13567243733582_thumb.jpg

Welcome, and I hope you'll come to realize this community is nothing if not welcoming. If you have any questions that haven't been answered just pipe up and people will surely respond. I hope the whole RPG thing isn't too overwhelming; it's new and from the challenge that started recently.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Alas, you've missed out on the Joys of Gaming, but we welcome you with Open arms none the less! Welcome to the Rebellion! We're here to help you with everything you could possibly need, from Advice to Motivation, via a Complete system crash! Just don't hesitate to ask! See you around!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Welcome! I've never gamed a day in my life. All I know I learned from the 6 Week Challenge thread. I enjoyed the Star Wars movies, but I hate Star Trek. Honestly, I think a vast majority of people have some geek in them, they just refuse to admit it because they watched all the John Hughes movies. Well, I watched them all too, and I STILL think Duckie should have got the girl! (I totally would have picked him!)

Ahem...anyway...

My point is, celebrate that which makes you geek and proud, and we will respect you for it. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

Archived