Forums are back in action! ×

Correcting splayed knees and feet

When I do a full squat, my knees and feet have a tendency to splay really wide. I have a similar problem doing deep lunges in yoga or Spiderman steps; my bent knee goes outside the line of my supporting arm, rather than up under my chest. I used to attribute this to my belly getting in the way, but my belly isn't nearly the problem it used to be. :victory:

My guess is weak thigh adductors and stiff glutes; any ideas on how to correct this? Sumo squats? Grand plies at the ballet barre? Unusual yoga positions? Weird stretching devices from the backs of dodgy magazines?

Thanks in advance!

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm not doing barbell squats, since my gym doesn't have a cage and I work out alone, though goblet squats give me much the same effect. More lunges, lots more corrective stretching (mobilitywod.com has a whole bunch of good vids), and of course, squats. :-)

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Archived