Forums are back in action! ×

Issues with Orthostasis after heavy weight loss.

Gametris

Greetings,

I started going to the gym regularly three weeks ago but I've been losing weight steadily for about six months, so far about 60 pounds. It wasn't until after I started going to the gym that I started noticing a light headedness after standing. It's worse after workouts but doesn't seem to affect me while I'm working out. It is really getting annoying because I actually blacked out and did a nice face plant on the ground yesterday. I'm staying hydrated and actually increased my H2O intake like it's going out of style. I'm also eating regularly.

I'm going to see my doctor, but just wondered if anyone knew if orthostatic hypotension is common for people in this situation.

Greetings,

I started going to the gym regularly three weeks ago but I've been losing weight steadily for about six months, so far about 60 pounds. It wasn't until after I started going to the gym that I started noticing a light headedness after standing. It's worse after workouts but doesn't seem to affect me while I'm working out. It is really getting annoying because I actually blacked out and did a nice face plant on the ground yesterday. I'm staying hydrated and actually increased my H2O intake like it's going out of style. I'm also eating regularly.

I'm going to see my doctor, but just wondered if anyone knew if orthostatic hypotension is common for people in this situation.

I don't know if it's common, but speaking from anecdotal experience, I have issues with this too - and it's something that really only became an issue after weight loss. I've never merely passed out from standing up - though I've gotten sufficiently light-headed that I've needed to hold onto things. And it's definitely more noticeable after exercise - both lifting and cardio, but longer cardio sessions sometimes do it to a greater extent. Getting out of bed quickly in the morning sometimes provokes this as well.

As noted above, this only happened for me after weight loss. I should also note that my baseline blood pressure(usually between 90/50 and 100/60) and resting pulse(typically in the 40's, I've seen it as low as 37) are rather low, so it may be a matter of my baseline not giving me much room for a drop. I'm also 6'6", which probably doesn't help, as the difference between sitting/lying down and standing is magnified. I went to see my doctor, and they didn't find anything unusual at the time.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I cannot offer any help but I've experienced the same thing for a while now (pretty bad for 6-8 months, and only slightly bad for well over a year). It isn't so much right after working out, but usually happens in the afternoon and gets pretty bad. I never blacked out, but I will get a sudden migraine, everything goes white and really dizzy where I have to grab anything and after a few seconds it all goes away. I do not know blood pressure or resting pulse, but I believe it has always been just above normal for my age and just under what is considered normal for my weight.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

It's unavoidable if you're tall. Even super fit basketball and volleyball athletes can still get it.

That being said, sodium intake and overall levels can play a big role too. Excess sodium pulls water into your cells, decreasing blood plasma volume. Maybe double check what that intake is like.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I've had it all my life. Doctors are pretty clear that in my case it means nothing, so I've just learned how to fall gently so that I don't hurt myself. But upping your sodium intake can help... drinking more water without more sodium (and other electrolytes) can actually make it worse, your fluids and your sodium/potassium levels need to stay in balance. Maybe add a pinch of salt to your foods and make sure you're eating plenty of mineral rich fruits, veggies, nuts & dairy products.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I was actually just about to post a thread on the same topic. I'm (almost) down 40lbs since I started the gym ~ten weeks ago and I find I get light-headed every once and awhile - for about the last week or two. I haven't blacked out or anything, but when it happens it's definitely noticeable. I haven't noticed it happening more specifically when I'm exercising, but it's been happening more often since I've started exercising.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

What ThatgirlJJ said -- salt. Add salt/electrolytes. Since I started CrossFit, I've been craving salt, and going ahead and adding it to whatever I feel like, and although I have a long history of the world going black when I stand up, it hasn't happened yet (knock wood), despite my much more intense workouts.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

On a related note, adding more salt doesn't work for everyone - some people respond(in terms of blood pressure) and some people don't. I experimented with eating a fairly high-salt diet for a while to see if I could nudge my blood pressure up and help with this issue, but my BP still stayed low even when I was several times over the RDA for salt.

I suppose I should count my blessings, it's better than dealing with the alternative in most respects.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I went to the doctor today to get checked out. He did an EKG which was normal... My vitals have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY though. 6 Months ago my resting heart rate was in the high 80s - low 90s and today it was 58. My BP went from 135 systolic to 116/118 sitting/standing. I should get the results back on the blood work tomorrow. So the improved cardiovascular function along side the weight loss is probably my issue. It shall be interesting to see how it will be when I get to the <20% body fat (right now I'm at 31%)

I've switched to drinking G2 (low sugar Gatoraide) while working out and it seems to keep me from being light headed at the Gym. In all honesty, that could just be because I like having my heart rate above 150 while working out.

Can anyone recommend a better sports drink (other than water) that doesn't have any sweeteners? Even the low sugar G2 is WAY too sweet for my taste.

Can anyone recommend a better sports drink (other than water) that doesn't have any sweeteners? Even the low sugar G2 is WAY too sweet for my taste.

Coconut water with a pinch of salt.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I've upped my salt intake a bit and it seems to have helped; I haven't had a fade out/dizzy spell/whatever the term is since I started doing so. There haven't been any obvious counter-reactions beside that, either.

Thanks, I was getting worried!

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

Archived