Forums are back in action! ×

TV Upfronts and new shows for 2012-2013

TinkG6

Hi all! I am a HUGE TV nut so figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else is as well.

This week are all the major networks upfront presentations and announcements of new and recurring shows for this fall.

Some recaps can be found here - www.avclub.com, www.televisionwithoutpity.com or www.tvline.com

Any shows you are excited about coming back? Shows you were upset were cancelled? New shows that show promise?

I'm really upset the Fringe is ending in December. I know the writers/producers said that Fringe has a definite ending, and that it's not merely being cancelled, it's just ending, but I'm still upset. However, I am glad it's survived this long considering Fox has been losing money on the show, and how many times it's been on the chopping block (I thought FOR SURE that moving it to the Friday night death slot would have been the end).

What I wanna know is why they stuck with Fringe and not Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles or Firefly...

Also, I'm surprised CBS cancelled CSI: Miami, but Sunday night is probably the worst place a TV show could be, worse than Friday night. A little surprised they kept NY though...

Community to Fridays and only 13 episodes has made me sad.

There's lots of stuff coming out about Dan Harmon, the creator/show runner possibly leaving. Lots of speculation as well that they're putting it onto Friday's as these less expectation for it to perform there, and it has the kind of fanbase that will follow it wherever it goes.

Shortened final season of 13 for 30 Rock as well to finish up the series. The one bit of good news coming out of NBC is that my beloved Parks & Rec is getting a full season order.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

In some ways it's a shame about Fringe, but it hasn't been as good for a while. House is a bigger loss I think, but also very predictable.

What I'm more interested in is what new shows will take their places in our hearts for us to grieve the loss of in years to come? I don't feel like there's been many good new shows for quite a while now.

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

In some ways it's a shame about Fringe, but it hasn't been as good for a while. House is a bigger loss I think, but also very predictable.

What I'm more interested in is what new shows will take their places in our hearts for us to grieve the loss of in years to come? I don't feel like there's been many good new shows for quite a while now.

I agree that Fringe hasn't been up to par the past few years.

Although I will miss House (huge Hugh Laurie fan!), I would rather see a show run it's natural course, go out in good numbers, and actually FINISH the story than just have it wrapped up quickly because ratings were poor.

What ever happened to shows like Cheers, Frasier, Seinfeld and Friends? At the end of their runs, it was like you lost a friend. Most shows today just don't evoke those feelings, although I have to admit I was upset when the SciFi channel ended Stargate SG-1.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I'm a huge Community fan, and while I would love for it to run forever, I will take whatever I can get and be grateful! I am also very happy P&R got a full season, this world is not happy without some Swanson. And I think 30 Rock ending on a shorten season is a great idea, same with a guilty pleasure of mine, Gossip Girl. The shows have run their course, so lets give them a quick and proper goodbye.

I never got into Fringe, but good to see the fans can have a proper endidng.

Nothing I am heavily into got cancelled thankfully. I thought Ringer was great camp, but not a long haul show and was expecting that.

Some good new shows coming out though - esp a new crop of 30 minute comedies (I'm also a huge broadway/theater fan so a lot of faces showing up in the fall - Andrew Rannells and Josh Gad from Book of Mormon, Laura Benati & Steve Pasquale both have their own shows, Justin Kirk, Hugh Dancy, and several others representing, however we lose Patrick Wilson from A Gifted Man). I am excited about the new Kevin Williamson/Kevin Bacon drama and the 666 Park Avenue (I think that is the name).

Also, as a FNL fan and after her star performance on AHS, Connie Britton's new show Nashville.

I agree that Fringe hasn't been up to par the past few years.

That's interesting because I think the show has actually gotten BETTER in the later seasons (though I gotta admit, I really loved it when the alternative universe were the bad guys and I was a little confused when they all of a sudden started portraying them as our allies).

Really, Fringe is the only one I'm sad about. There's only a few other shows that I regularly watch on network TV, and those are all being renewed. Most of the stuff I watch is older shows on Netflix. I'm annoyed that I don't get the SyFy channel, but at the same time glad because before we stopped paying for cable I was getting really frustrated with SyFy cancelling decent shows in favor of the "reality" shows, wrestling included. The name change was what started it all (though I loved Warehouse 13 and I'm annoyed that I can't really watch it now.).

That's interesting because I think the show has actually gotten BETTER in the later seasons (though I gotta admit, I really loved it when the alternative universe were the bad guys and I was a little confused when they all of a sudden started portraying them as our allies).

It just seems like its gotten more bizarre to me, and not in a good way.

It kinda reminds me of Lost, when they kept adding new plot twists at the end even though the show had an expiration date, and I couldn't figure out how they were going to tie up all those loose ends before the series finale.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

It kinda reminds me of Lost, when they kept adding new plot twists at the end even though the show had an expiration date, and I couldn't figure out how they were going to tie up all those loose ends before the series finale.

Their solution to that was not tying up most of the loose ends. :smug:

I never could get into Firefly, I watched about 7 episodes but it didn't hold my interest. It seemed just a bit too hokey.

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

Ugh, just when I thought I was away from this... it pops up again. I spent my weekend working on the sites for the new shows, as I work for Fox Broadcasting.

Some of them look good. Some, not so much. It's always fun to take bets on which shows don't make it past pilot phase.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Their solution to that was not tying up most of the loose ends. :smug:

I never could get into Firefly, I watched about 7 episodes but it didn't hold my interest. It seemed just a bit too hokey.

Exactly! I see Fringe writers heading in that direction.

And Seth...nobody said you HAD to come into this thread. :D

~Oscar Wilde

Lol, sorry Seth, one of my best friends works for CBS so I see what she goes through at the time of year.

I have Firefly on my netflix que just haven't started it yet, though I have several friends who live by it. I spent last summer finally watching all 7 seasons of Buffy, but haven't done Angel yet.

ABC just announced their new schedule and they moved some of my shows around... oh boy, Tivo going to be working harder than ever. Revenge to Sunday nights is a good move though.

I'm a huge Community fan, and while I would love for it to run forever, I will take whatever I can get and be grateful!

Me too. Hopefully it will get picked up for more. At least let them finish the four years of school!

I'm really excited about Revolution. I watched the preview for it and I find the concept fascinating. But, I also found the concept of Flashforward fascinating and it fell flat.

Every season I find it harder and harder to get into a new show because part of me doesn't want to bother if it's just going to get cancelled. If I had a Nielsen box I'd think differently. The technology to get viewer numbers is so dated.

I'm upset about The Finder. That's the only new show that I watched, and I absolutely loved it. I was surprised when I heard it was a spin-off of Bones. I hated that show.

Also, Firefly and Enterprise. Older shows, that I never watched until after they ended, but they really need to bring them back!

Does anybody know when Hell on Wheels and Dr. Who is coming back? It feels like forever since the last season ended (though I know for certain Hell on Wheels was only a few months ago).

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Well Joss is now a movie king with the Avengers success, so I would expect him to do TV for a while. Though I do hope they fit in Dr Horrible 2 somewhere!!!

I don't know when it comes back, but the first season of Hell on Wheels is available on DVD today.

I love the Doctor. They really should start showing the first 7 Doctors and 8's movie. I can't find any of them anywhere around here. And I'm tired of seeing Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. Ok, not really but there is too much Donna Noble and Rose.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Well Joss is now a movie king with the Avengers success, so I would expect him to do TV for a while. Though I do hope they fit in Dr Horrible 2 somewhere!!!

Yay, another Dr Horrible fan! Dr. Horrible 2 would be wonderful. Did you see

? It's brilliant!

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rix - Level 2 Amazon Assassin

STR 7 | DEX 6 | CON 7 | STA 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 | LVL 3

LVL 2 | LVL 1

Work hard, be kind, and amazing things will happen.

Conan O'Brien

[/table]

Also, I'm surprised CBS cancelled CSI: Miami, but Sunday night is probably the worst place a TV show could be, worse than Friday night. A little surprised they kept NY though...

I used to work in media buying. Sunday primetime is actually gold: think Simpsons, Family Guy. Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy excelled in Sunday slots before the shows started dragging and were move to piggyback off newer, currently successful shows.

Fri/Sat def the worst.

Game of Thrones is also a Sunday show.

just keep on trucking...

Archived