Forums are back in action! ×

What's your weird food?

Naturally

I like eggs, but I get burnt out on them really fast. They're the main reason that I almost didn't stick with paleo. The thought of one more egg made me want to gag.

Food I eat the heck out of - spiced almonds (smokehouse almonds and garlic almonds are my fave) or the dark cocoa roasted almonds. Holy shizzz.

sliced ham

broiled asparagus with lemon

mustard-bacon brussels sprouts

Pre-paleo, it was Michael Symon's granola.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gnome Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | CHA: 3 | WIS: 4

Fitocracy | ePaleoCookbooks.net | Blog | Twitter

I'm not paleo, but I'm another egg-lover! I actually have a pickling brine recipe that's pretty all-purpose, but it especially goes well with eggs. If I have a little bit of extra brine left over, I'll even drink the rest of the brine straight.

I also have a weakness for gourmet cheese. No one type in particular, but if it's mid- to high-quality, I will eat it like candy if I don't restrain myself. I just enjoyed a cheese recently that was wine-infused, and made from a blend of sheep's and cow's milk.

I'm also another garlic-lover, by the way. I love that food way too much for my own good. I've gotten better, though, since I mostly switched from using fresh garlic to making my own garlic powder and using that instead.

I also have a fondness for cottage cheese, dried fruits, flatbread (mostly naan and tortillas), and bacon. Bacon is like meat candy to me.

Is your brine paleo friendly? Most brines I used pre-paleo had a lot of sugar in it, so I don't know any pickling brines I can use now. I would drink my brine straight too.

I love cheese! If you get a chance to visit the Ohio Amish country, you need to check out Heini's Cheese Chalet. They have the absolute best cheese that I have ever had. All the milk comes from Amish raised, grass-fed cows and you can really tell the difference. And every flavor (over 50 different kinds) are available as free samples. I would pig out everytime I went there and end up leaving with at least $50 worth of cheeses. You can also order many of their cheeses from their website.

Their moon cheese is especially worth trying. It is a bright green color and the taste is... different... I personally don't like it, but I always try it because sooner or later I'm going to like it and then miss out on being able to buy green cheese. Haha

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

It's not all that "weird" - but Acorn squash is something I love that doesn't show up in recipes all that much.. I tried it for the first time a few months ago and really liked the flavor. Not weird, so much as frequently overlooked when compared with butternut or spaghetti squash.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Is your brine paleo friendly? Most brines I used pre-paleo had a lot of sugar in it, so I don't know any pickling brines I can use now. I would drink my brine straight too.

I'm afraid so--though honestly, you've got me wondering if I could adjust it to work without the sugar. Hmmm...*strokes chin thoughtfully* You know what? I'm going to experiment with it and get back to you. I'm cutting back sugar anyway, so it would be a worthy thing to try.

YAY MOAR CHEESE!!! Looks like it's a few hours away from me....time to drag the husband into going on a day trip!

Zorch, I'm also a fan of acorn squash. It's so good with pecans and cinnamon, or stuffed.

Jackjames, you remind me of my friend. She liked anchovy paste and--wait for it--dog biscuits. True story. She even cajoled me into trying a dog biscuit (which tasted about like you'd expect). The anchovy paste wasn't so bad, though. I wouldn't eat the paste just out of the tube like my friend, though. Now those are weird things.

Take a whole day (not Sunday, being Amish everything is closed on Sunday) and tour the whole area. You can get some great pies and fresh bread across the street from Heini's Cheese Chalet, and Der Dutchman is a wonderful place to get some dinner. I haven't found a restaurant I didn't like up there though.

I've tried dog biscuits, not as good as Snausages... And Beggin Strips do NOT taste like bacon.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Archived