Forums are back in action! ×

BSG vs StarWars

Adama1508

Guest Snake McClain
I'm just curious, what sort of context are you seeing this in. I mean Star Wars at the time of its release was the greatest action / special effects movie ever made. By a longshot. Compared to what came before there really is no comparsion. Even the new trilogy was a pretty big step in digital filmmaking, but the old trilogy was revolutionary in that respect.

But you are right that it is a kids movie. The fact that the Empires elite ground forces were taken out by a tribe of teddy bears should be a pretty strong hint.

Action and special effects do not equal a good movie. The acting? Bad. Plot? Thin. Continuity? Nonexistent. I love the world and lore. But the movies are just tired.

Guest Snake McClain
I believe that it is in the context of it being a sci-fi fairy tale. In its deepest sense, it is a good-versus-evil fairytale with (of course) good ending up as the winner. But it still was (and still is) some of the greatest action movies made. The new trilogy, while being a precursor to the events of the original, did seem to be more directed towards kids though, especially Episode 1.

Snake, you knocked Star Wars for being childish, but you said your favorite material from it was the cartoon (made for kids and shown on the Cartoon Network, as was the Clone Wars movie) and the comics (though not specifically made for kids, it has an appeal to them). Want to explain that one?

Sure. Better writing. Intended for kids are not. Its just better.

Haha... This is how I know this site is truly full of nerds! And I love it! For me its BSG all day... The character developments is amazing and the physics of their space flight is as close to accurate as you will see out of pretty much any sci-fi.

SOME SPOILERS BELOW

Here's why BSG

1. The flight physics (I'm an engineering student, don't make fun!) of their Raptors and Vipers are amazing

2. Col. Tye... Nuff said.

3. The ending to BSG leaves you wrecked. You can't tell if you want to watch the whole thing again, or throw your tv out the window because you have nothing left.

4. The use of Jimi Hendrix is phenomenal

5. My friends and I have debates about humanity based off of the end of BSG

6. The Adama Maneuver

7. They shoot nukes at each other. Freaking nukes!

8. The women are so smoking hot..... SO HOT!

Now, I will say that Star Wars is pretty good, but it is good because it is classic... And it is classic because it was the top of its game and the first of its kind when it came out. And I love Ewoks and Wookies as much as the next guy (the plan is to make enough money to fund the creation of an Ewok species), but at the end of the day, BSG is mind-blowingly, out of control, Sex on the Beach, Space Epicness. Even though light sabers and the Force is awesome.

That is all.

Yup.

Action and special effects do not equal a good movie. The acting? Bad. Plot? Thin. Continuity? Nonexistent. I love the world and lore. But the movies are just tired.

Could the fact that the movies are just tired be because....oh they're 30+ years old, and probably been seen a time or two?

Some of the acting is alright. Many all time great epic movie quotes came from the trilogy. I'm not sure how you can say the continuity isn't great, the Star Wars universe has amazingly few errors given the breadth.

The plot is what it is. They are meant to be like fairy tales, accessible with an obvious conclusion.

Still, LOL at this question. Did anybody saying BSG actually see any/all of the original trilogy in the theater (not the re-releases, the first run)?

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

*Warning! This post contains opinions!*

Was not a fan of the new BSG. Couldn't get into it. It was way to much "All my Cylons" or "As the Fleet Turns". Am I a cylon? Are you a cylon? Are we all cylons? Is this cylon imaginary? Bleh. I like the original though...

So, Star Wars wins the round. For me.

Haha, this thread reminds me of an argument I once had with my (now ex) husband over who would win in a fight between Anakin and Angel (of Buffy)... :D

Love, love, love SW (except Phantom Menace) - I totally agree that both the writing and a lot of the acting is pretty ropey, but the kid in me (who gets ridiculously excited every time the theme music starts booming out over the opening credits) just doesn't care. Very annoyingly I managed to miss BSG completely and am now considering buying the entire series as I suspect it's pretty much right up my street.

Oh, and I do love Firefly too...and Serenity is even better. :)

Always kick higher

To be fair, comparing a movie series to a tv show is apples to oranges... How many movies or even movie series have been made that could have hands down been served better justice if they were done as a tv series instead? Tv series invariably have more character depth and more complex plots simply because they have more on-air time to work with.

So, it's not really a fair comparison.

I WILL say that BSG > Star Trek, Star Wars > Star Trek, totally fair to say considering ST was movie AND tv :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
Could the fact that the movies are just tired be because....oh they're 30+ years old, and probably been seen a time or two?

Some of the acting is alright. Many all time great epic movie quotes came from the trilogy. I'm not sure how you can say the continuity isn't great, the Star Wars universe has amazingly few errors given the breadth.

The plot is what it is. They are meant to be like fairy tales, accessible with an obvious conclusion.

Still, LOL at this question. Did anybody saying BSG actually see any/all of the original trilogy in the theater (not the re-releases, the first run)?

Well I'll say that since i watch "the good the bad and the ugly" on a regular basis that it has nothing to do with age or the amount of times i've watched it. it has every thing to do with writing, acting, directing. Sure. Star wars has some fun stuff. but let's talk about the errors while i can think of them. Orig tril first.

1) Obi Wan tells luke his father was a great pilot when we met him. he wasn't. He was a kid who drove pod racers. and sucked at it. he only survived because the force blindly led him through. he's never finished a race. his first time in a fighter plane was a disaster. again. luck ( the force).

2)When Obi-Wan Kenobi says that Luke Skywalker is "their only hope" in Star Wars Episode IV, Yoda replies, "No, there is another." Obi-Wan should know this, he was at the birth of the twins in Episode III.

3) C3PO has his memory wiped, but R2D2 knows the story of Anakin's fall to the dark side. He could have tried to communicate this to Luke, Leia, etc.

4) R2D2 has a rocket launcher in episode 2 but mysteriously doesn't have anything of the sort in 4-6...inexplicably.

These are just the ones I can think of while i'm at work. sure some of them are small. but some of them aren't. Not to mention the technology gap between the past (new tril) and the future of their universe (old tril).

To be fair, comparing a movie series to a tv show is apples to oranges... How many movies or even movie series have been made that could have hands down been served better justice if they were done as a tv series instead? Tv series invariably have more character depth and more complex plots simply because they have more on-air time to work with.

I'll agree with this.

And I agree with FishnJeeps that the ships on BSG would sort of whoop arse on those in star wars.

I'm not knocking you for saying you love star wars. there is a lot to love. but there is a lot missing. I think as a sci fi telling it's okay. but the best. not great. If you like it and love. AWESOME! I just think it's missing a lot.

So, it's not really a fair comparison.

I WILL say that BSG > Star Trek, Star Wars > Star Trek, totally fair to say considering ST was movie AND tv :P

The thing is though, while BSG was a TV series, if you include the ENTIRE Star Wars universe (movies, TV shows, books, comics) then there's just as much character development as in BSG.

Firefly ftw!

Excuse me fellow nerds, but I believe we have a thread winner here.

Can we get an admin to lock and sticky this thread so that the awesomeness of Firefly can be emblazoned atop NF forever? :victorious:

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Well I'll say that since i watch "the good the bad and the ugly" on a regular basis that it has nothing to do with age or the amount of times i've watched it. it has every thing to do with writing, acting, directing. Sure. Star wars has some fun stuff. but let's talk about the errors while i can think of them. Orig tril first.

1) Obi Wan tells luke his father was a great pilot when we met him. he wasn't. He was a kid who drove pod racers. and sucked at it. he only survived because the force blindly led him through. he's never finished a race. his first time in a fighter plane was a disaster. again. luck ( the force).

2)When Obi-Wan Kenobi says that Luke Skywalker is "their only hope" in Star Wars Episode IV, Yoda replies, "No, there is another." Obi-Wan should know this, he was at the birth of the twins in Episode III.

3) C3PO has his memory wiped, but R2D2 knows the story of Anakin's fall to the dark side. He could have tried to communicate this to Luke, Leia, etc.

4) R2D2 has a rocket launcher in episode 2 but mysteriously doesn't have anything of the sort in 4-6...inexplicably.

These are just the ones I can think of while i'm at work. sure some of them are small. but some of them aren't. Not to mention the technology gap between the past (new tril) and the future of their universe (old tril).

All of your quibbles are purely new trilogy related, which everyone agrees were not in the same league as the originals.

The biggest incongruity of the originals alone is that Luke flies to Dagobah, trains to become a Jedi, then flies to Bespin in the time it takes Han and Co to hide in an Asteroid field for a bit to try to fix things, then sneak away from the Empire and drive to Bespin, which appears to be no more than a few hours/days.

One rare trait in the original Star Wars series, which made the whole EU possible, and really what captures the imagination is how many unexplained minor comments/things there are. You don't typically see that in movies/TV, it really helps to engross you in the world, as they don't over explain things (for example when Han mentions that he can outrun the big Corellian ships, that is the only mention of Corellia or their spacecraft in the entirety of the trilogy). In fact outside of the main storyline with the heros, virtually nothing is explained, leaving it all up to the imagination.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

The biggest incongruity of the originals alone is that Luke flies to Dagobah, trains to become a Jedi, then flies to Bespin in the time it takes Han and Co to hide in an Asteroid field for a bit to try to fix things, then sneak away from the Empire and drive to Bespin, which appears to be no more than a few hours/days.

Well, there's also the fact that the Millenium Falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy, and to prove it Han says that it can travel a set distance in a reduced amount of distance...

You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

Oh, and don't bring the fact that the Kessel run goes through a field of black holes, so each path must be different changing the time it takes, and the distance needed to go around. If Han's ship is so advanced over the others, then he should be bragging about its navigation computer's efficiency, not its speed. Also, the black hole part is canon. It wasn't mentioned until much later after people complained that his quote made no sense.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

1) STAR TREK

2) Babylon 5

3) Battlestar Galactica (original)

4) Battlestar Galactica (new)

5) Almost anyother scifi

1,269, 899) Star Wars

64,896,575,215,698,568,712,355,897,456,985,214,679) Firefly/Serenity should be below everything including Jersey Shore

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Archived