Forums are back in action! ×

Disaster movie fans, unite!

gymell

Ever since I was a kid, I have loved disaster movies. I remember watching The Towering Inferno on TV. I love the bad disaster movies on SyFy. The stupider the movie, the better I like it. And now I've discovered NetFlix! I just finished watching "Lightning Bolts of Destruction." It was awesomely awful!!

Probably my favorite disaster movie of all time is the Poseidon Adventure (the original.) It's actually a great movie in its own right. But the little known sequel to that, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, was terrible. I actually started watching it and lost interest very quickly. But now that I have NetFlix, I'm going to give it another shot.

Another particularly awful one that I managed to make it all the way through was Annihilation Earth, another SyFy made for TV movie. Marina Sirtis (of Star Trek TNG fame) was in it. The real tragedy of that one is not the destruction of the Earth, but Marina's god-awful acting and ridiculous attempt at a Southern accent. Being a Southerner myself, I think I'd rather the Earth be annihilated than have to endure that again. Love it! ;)

Who's with me??

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

Oh man I love nothing better (with the exception of barbells and females) than curling up on the couch and watching Sci-Fis (i refuse to use SyFy) saturday afternoon b rated disater flicks! Atomic Tornado is probably my favorite right now.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Ah, Atomic Twister, another classic! Great name for a movie. Another good one is Ice Twisters.

Speaking of tornados, I actually enjoyed Twister. Even though there's some cheesiness, I think it's got some humorous moments and the plot is good enough to hold my interest between tornados.

Why did Sci-Fi change to SyFy anyway? Did they not want to be confused with the Science channel?

--

Liz

Tornado! was great in its horribleness. Then again, any movie with Bruce Campbell is awesome. My favorite B movie actor.

Army of Darkness, follwed by My Name is Bruce, follwed by Evil Dead. All should be watched for Bruce Campbell-y goodness.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Oh man I love nothing better (with the exception of barbells and females) than curling up on the couch and watching Sci-Fis (i refuse to use SyFy) saturday afternoon b rated disater flicks! Atomic Tornado is probably my favorite right now.

I think you and my husband are brothers separated at birth. He will spend a rainy weekend (with the boys) absorbed in every bad flick SyFy (stupid name) ever decided to make.

I can get through about two, and then I get tired of the same cast trying to defeat different monsters or freak weather anomalies.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

From Wikipedia:

It had been confirmed that a remake would be made of The Evil Dead. It will be produced by Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi, but will not include the Ash character. It was also said that the movie would be about a group of teenagers that go to the cabin and find the book, and the similarities with the original would end there.

It is supposed to come out next year. I'm a little sad there's no Ash, but it may still be worth watching.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Any movie staring Bruce Campbell (or directed by him) is a disaster in one way or another... Sorry, had to say it. Back to the topic, Disaster movies are awesome! I'll watch them if I notice one is on, but not going to hunt them down like I would a romance... Err... I mean ACTION flick.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I love a decent disaster movie but there's only so low I can go with regards to cheesiness.

Some faves of mine:

Towering inferno

Daylight

The day after tomorrow

Outbreak (is this classed as disaster movie? Guess it is)

Volcano (seriously, even if its on really late at night I have to stay up and watch it)

Dantes Peak

Oh man now I know what I want to do on my next sick day, which could infact be tomorrow as I am currently at my desk dying with flu symptoms :hopelessness:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Hah, I was referring to the genre of movies known as Disaster Movies. Not movies that are a disaster (although many disaster movies are actual disasters themselves!)

I saw both Day after Tomorrow and 2012 at the theater. I thought both were good but had parts that were too slow and not enough disaster. ;) In Day After Tomorrow, I love the part where all the tornadoes hit LA and everybody's outside watching in fascination, not realizing the danger or what they should do. But the blatant political bashing in that movie really gets under my skin. I know that the disaster movie formula always calls for some government official or other authoritative bad guy who poo-poos the scientist/hero trying to save the world. But that was just annoying, I'll leave it at that.

In 2012 I really like where John Cusack is trying to get his family out of LA while the whole state is sinking into the ocean. That's a pretty awesome sequence.

I had high hopes for Contagion, but it didn't really do much for me. Interesting concept, but it just seemed very dry. The best thing about it (spoiler alert!) is that Gwyneth Paltrow's character dies. I can't stand her because she's a huge disciple Tracy 'women shouldn't lift more than 5lbs and should live on < 1000 calories a day' Anderson.

What have I learned from disaster movies?

• Never wear shoes I can't run in. I'm not kidding - a disaster could happen any moment and I want to be prepared! If it does, I will pull a
    - pushing small children and old ladies out of the way to make my escape!
  • Avoid major landmarks/tourist attractions of the world - they always get destroyed when disaster strikes! The Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty seem especially susceptible to disaster. Although sometimes you see other things getting destroyed, like the St. Louis arch or an Egyptian pyramid, Big Ben, etc.

--

Liz

Twister was the first movie I saw in our "new" theater with a good sound system. The tornados felt like the shook the room, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

I've gotten to the point where I can't watch Day After Tomorrow anymore. I think I saw it too many times in a row on TV or something.

Favorite so far is I Am Legend. That counts as a "disaster" movie, right?

I'm terribly afraid of any movie that could potentially be too scary, so I shy away from SyFy most of the time. I woke up twice with bad dreams after seeing Snow White and the Huntsman, so that tells you what a wimp I am.

And I am totally with you on the scary movies, or rather I used to. I always hated watching them because I would always watch them with girls, and I hated being scared of them, when Girl's weren't (its down right embarassing if you ask me :P). Finally decided to man up one day and force myself not be scared, and now I love them! (And its not nearly as embarassing to watch with members of the female persuasion around :D)

And I am totally with you on the scary movies, or rather I used to. I always hated watching them because I would always watch them with girls, and I hated being scared of them, when Girl's weren't (its down right embarassing if you ask me :P). Finally decided to man up one day and force myself not be scared, and now I love them! (And its not nearly as embarassing to watch with members of the female persuasion around :D)

I've never seen it as a 'girls vs. boys' being scared thing, but more of an 'overactive imagination' thing. I don't really care for scary movies (or books!) because I have a super overactive imagination, and it leads me to see things that aren't really there (especially late at night in a dark house), or have weird dreams. I've been known to have "snakes in my boots" because I'm so very easy to sneak up on and scare...I get really focused on whatever I'm doing and just having someone walk into the room will make me jump.

I tell my husband that just means I'm more creative than he is. :)

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I haven't seen I am Legend. I like post-apocalyptic/survival stories, but it sounds like it turns into a zombie type of movie. I'm just not into zombies and vampires. Or scary movies. They just don't hold my interest. Unless you're talking about a suspense/thriller that has some scariness to it, like Alien or Silence of the Lambs.

By the way, I think Aliens is the greatest movie ever made!!

But back to the topic - last night I watched another made for TV disaster flick, "Lightning: Fire from the Sky". It was really, really stupid!. But interestingly, a young Jesse Eisenberg was in it. And John Schneider. And I recognized another actress who used to be in LA Law.

So ... what life lessons have you learned from disaster movies?

--

Liz

I haven't seen I am Legend. I like post-apocalyptic/survival stories, but it sounds like it turns into a zombie type of movie. I'm just not into zombies and vampires. Or scary movies. They just don't hold my interest. Unless you're talking about a suspense/thriller that has some scariness to it, like Alien or Silence of the Lambs.

By the way, I think Aliens is the greatest movie ever made!!

But back to the topic - last night I watched another made for TV disaster flick, "Lightning: Fire from the Sky". It was really, really stupid!. But interestingly, a young Jesse Eisenberg was in it. And John Schneider. And I recognized another actress who used to be in LA Law.

1. LISTEN TO THE SCIENTIST!

2. Always have some form of personal protection (gun, machete, axe, whatever).

3. Bug out bags are a good thing.

4. Wear (or have in a BOB) shoes you can run/climb/swim in.

5. Own a dependable 4wd vehicle and keep it filled up with gas. :D

~Oscar Wilde

Get to higher ground

Wear practical shoes

When the tsunami is tearing towards your car, don't carry all that extra crap with you while you try and get away! Seriously. Drop your sh*t, run like hell! Also don't just gape at the thing and take pictures.

Never give up.

Learn to keep warm

Know how to build a fire

got to add another to my favourite list - Deep Impact!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I adore disaster films!!

My husband was seen sadly shaking his head after our fourth cheezy syfy dis flick from Netflix. I love them. They are awful, in a great way (I grew up loving Godzilla, and every other cheezy b-movie that was Japanese sci-fi!!).

2012: Ice Age is dorkier than heck... I actually gave it a lower score

Post Impact... um, another totally dumb one

Quantum Apocalypse ... funny!!

2012: Supernova ... also funny bad!

Sounds like I have a new list of movies to watch!

Anyone seen Megafault? It's terrible! Brittany Murphy was in it. That was the only reason I recognized her when news of her death came out.Talk about bad acting, and completely miscast. She's supposed to be some expert on seismology, but she looks about 12 years old.

Seriously, y'all need to see Annihilation Earth. One of the reviewers on IMDB describes it as:

Categorizing this as a stupid movie would be an insult to all stupid movies in existence.

With an endorsement like that, how can you NOT want to see it!! :highly_amused: :highly_amused: :highly_amused: :highly_amused:

--

Liz

Archived