Forums are back in action! ×

Best "nerd" workout music? (pop not allowed)

DoogieT

Hey, all. I'd like to start a set list of inspirational "nerd" music to work out to. The rule is that it has to come from a video game, television show or movie soundtrack. Typical top 40 pop/rock and classical music is not allowed in this list. Here are some of my favorites:

Suite from Back to the Future

Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story

Halo 2 theme, and Blow Me Away, also from Halo 2

Ken's remixed theme from Street Fighter 3, the rock version

Sons of Liberty from Metal Gear Solid 2

The soundtrack to the Rock, Lord of the Rings and the Dark Knight

Theme from MASK (80s cartoon)

Greatest American Hero (this is epic)

Terminator 2 theme

That's what I'm looking for. Most of these are on YouTube if you want to hear them.

Doogie

Shoryuken!

Blurry, by puddle of mud, from Ace Combat 05 trailer.

Devils Never Cry, from the Devil May Cry 3 teaser. I can't remember who sings it but I love the line "my chosen torture makes me stronger.."

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Clash on the Big Bridge from FFV, Black Mages version.

And maybe One Winged Angel from FFVII, also Black Mages.

YES!!! Although I also have The Decisive Battle(FFVI), The Four Fiends (FFIV) and Maybe I'm a Lion(FFVIII) also from Black Mages. I also recommend Gerudo Valley from LoZ

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I don't listen to much nerd music when I workout, but one guy I love is nercore hip-hop extraordinaire, Antisoc. All of his stuff is available for free from his site, and my personal favorites are HGtG (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the whole series in rap form) and No Power in the 'Verse (Firefly references galore).

Oh, and check out OCRemix.org, it is all redone video game music, and there is some really sweet stuff out there.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I listen to a LOT of MC Frontalot when I run. There's enough geek humor to get me out of the "I *hate* running" headpsace and gets me thinking about star wars, coding... any number of other things.

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

Eight Digit and I have had the MC Frontalot conversation on another thread, I recommended Scroobious Pip (he raps the periodic table amongst other great tunes) he it quality.

Update: Just read your intro so mine is not from a film, he does do a track about Johnny Depp leading a secret life as a serial killer though.

GO ON PIGS!!

:pig:

STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 1 CHA - 3

Hmm... I never thought of Final Fantasy music for workout motivation, Ghost. Not a bad idea, though - Uematsu has quite a few peppy numbers!

It really depends on what I'm doing. If I'm (trying) to lift weights or do any kind of "macho" training, I tend to like harder rock/metal. Orgy seems to do the trick for me as far as keeping me on task when I'm doing (semi)heavy lifting.

My running soundtrack lately has been stuck on Girl Talk's "All Day" (still free for download on his sight, as far as I'm aware). It's fairly high octane, and the first three tracks in particular have a good beat for running.

If I'm stretching or doing yoga, I prefer to do it in silence, or with something a little more soothing. Although I haven't tried it, I think the soundtrack to the game "Fez" would be ideal for yoga, if it were available. Anyone else agree?

I'm going to throw in Freedom Fighters from Two Steps From Hell since I was introduced to it as a soundtrack to a short video by an astronomer.

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Rob Zombie's "Hellbilly Deluxe" was the soundtrack for like tons of movies & tv in late 90s early 2000s. Pantera's "Vulger Display of Power" (there best album) was the background for lots of mtv's "real world" too.

Plus...they Frakin' Rock

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I'd say almost all of the Sucker Punch soundtrack, with the exception of "Where Is My Mind," "Sing Me to Sleep," and "Love is the Drug," only because they're all the wrong tempo for workout music. That being said, those songs are kind of "girl-power"ish, so YMMV.

Props to the guy who mentioned Thomas Bergerson! It might be a bit of a stretch, but his company Two Steps From Hell produces music specifically for movie and game trailers, so I think his and Two Steps' music may fit your criteria as well. Maybe. You're the judge, of course.

I'd say almost all of the Sucker Punch soundtrack, with the exception of "Where Is My Mind," "Sing Me to Sleep," and "Love is the Drug," only because they're all the wrong tempo for workout music. That being said, those songs are kind of "girl-power"ish, so YMMV.

Great soundtrack, bad movie, but still great soundtrack.

I like the Fallout 3 soundtrack, but I'm not too sure how well it would work for workout music.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

- The Tank Girl soundtrack (and because I love Jamie Hewlitt: Gorillaz)

- Blade and Blade: Trinity are good ones for me - high BPM gets me pumping harder.

Likewise

- Hackers

- Matrix (though I'm sick to death of Du Hast).

Just about anything John Williams (Star Wars) and Danny Elfman (Burton) has on file.

And I totally second JoCo! "Skullcrusher Mountain" is incredible - and "Re: Your Brains" belongs on any good zombie apocalypse soundtrack.

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Seconding/thirding/four... eh, whatever... Two Steps from Hell. Great stuff. Also, I'm man enough to admit that while on occasion I *love* PC gaming, my guilty gaming pleasure is the Halo franchise. Some songs from the Halo 2 soundtrack really get me moving during my workouts. I mean, seriously... game play generally consists of you being drastically outnumbered and outgunned, so the music generally does a good job of getting you pumped up.

The original Quake soundtrack is pretty awesome as well imo, but I was a huge Reznor fanboy when the game came out so that probably colors my judgement a bit.

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

So, I just got an idea. Why doesn't somebody take the music given here and put it into a YouTube playlist so it is all available? I'd do it, but I have no idea how.

Challenge... accepted.

"Veterans of the Psychic Wars" - Blue Oyster Cult, from the 'Heavy Metal' soundtrack. Not a steady-paced tune, but really gets the brain focused.

Second the 'Tank Girl' soundtrack, especially the tracks by Stomp, Bjork, and Joan Jett.

Thirdly, a little album from 1993 entitled 'Saturday Morning Cartoons'. Classic cartoon themes covered by the likes of The Ramones, The Rev. Horton Heat, Liz Phair, Sublime, and Helmet. Personal favorite: "Underdog" as covered by The Butthole Surfers.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Archived