Forums are back in action! ×

Need ideas for squats problem

Mike Pants

I work out in my building's fitness room, which is rather sparsely but adequately equipped: weight bench, barbell, some dumbbells, pull-up bar, and some cardio gear. As far as presses, deadlifts, rows, lunges, and ab work, I'm set for a while, but I've hit a wall with squats.

Since there's no squat rack, I've been setting up for squats with clean and jerks, but past 90 pounds, I'm finding it very difficult to pull this off, partly because I was never trained how to do it properly. I tried pushing the weight bench racks ALL the way up to form a makeshift squat rack, but the little thing wasn't really designed for it and it seemed very unstable and dangerous.

So what to do? Keep squatting forever at 90? Study more on the clean and jerk? I'm open to any and all ideas. I'd even be willing to buy the building a squat rack if everyone thought it was that important.

Short answer: Zercher squats. I'm in the same boat as you are, and that's what I use. Set up the barbell on the bench rack, then take it up in the crook of your arms. Squat as normal, then put it back on the rack. You get the benefits of the squat without risking dropping the barbell on your skull doing the clean and jerk.

Or, if you're seriously hardcore, you can do them the way Bill Zercher did: set up the barbell on the floor, squat all the way down, and scoop it up.

Proper form is similar to the goblet squat: keep your hands and arms as close to the chest as possible, keep your shoulders back, etc.

Good luck!

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Oof, clean and jerking everytime you want to squat seems like a recipe for a disaster. I've never tried a zercher squat, but mechanically it sounds a lot like a front squat - which, while awesome, is just a different exercise than a back squat. I would see if you can get building management to pony up for a proper rack. You can get a bombproof one for about 350 bucks. (+135 for spotter arms to make it a half rack.)

I've been thinking about setting up a home gym, and just can't see a way clear to not have a squat rack (for back squats - if front squats are your game then I would agree with the Major). They're purpose-made for squats AND can be used for lots of other barbell lifts (and pull/chin-ups!).

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Buy a squat rack or build one. You could make one pretty cheap with a few 5-10 gallon buckets of concrete, some 4x4's, and a few big ass construction bolts. Anchor it to the wall if you can. There are guides out there on how to do this and it should last you into the low 200's before you would have to think about getting a real one.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived