Forums are back in action! ×

I just picked up one of my classmates like she was nothing...

DoogieT

So, funny story. I'm in the library with one of my classmates working on our thesis (theses?). She said she wanted to mock spar with me, and, having a jiu-jitsu background, I shot in for a takedown but instead I picked her up. She's 120 pounds and I couldn't believe how light she was. I don't know if it's because I've been doing deadlifts and curls (and have noticable muscles now; also my ex-girlfriend was 150) but wow, amazing. I've often thought when I watch movies where a man picks up a woman and carries her to safety that it was all BS and that it was shot in multiple takes because no one could carry another person for that length of time. Now I know it's possible and there's no going back.

Nerd Fitness for the win! :D

D

P.S. "I guess I *can* pick up women after all." :P

Shoryuken!

I'd tread carefully there, some cultures frown upon that as a form of courtship.

In all seriousness though, congrats. Once you get around to picking someone up, you can do it competitively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIB9UcA5iQU

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

People are the best things to workout with. They are heavy-ish and squirm a lot, so you also get to work your stabilizers. Just saying...

You wouldn't happen to be gypsy, would you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_kidnapping#Roma_.28Gypsy.29_communities

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

OMG that video was awesome! Though the race looks a bit uncomfortable for the wife hehe. Also, Doogie my first thought about a chick who asks you to spar in the library.... she likes you:love-struck:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DragonBorne Adventurer

STR 4.5 DEX 4 STA 4.5 CON 5.25 WIS 8 CHA 3

"Time for some thrilling heroics." Jayne Cobb

Current Challenge My Fitness Pal

[/TABLE]

I'm not sure if she's into me that way. She's only interested in black guys and I'm as pasty as Michael Jackson. But we do have a lot in common and she's easy to talk to.

The other thing that was cool about it was that I had this weird grip on her that I knew was going to last, but I knew that I was strong enough to throw her lightly in the air, reposition my free arm under her legs in the classic "carry the wife across the threshold" pose and grab her on the way back without even coming close to dropping her. It was a pretty remarkable moment for me. I'm not sure if it's because of the overall strength I have now (or if I can attribute it to one particular weightlifting routine) but it was inspiring as hell and makes me want to go back to the gym tonight. :)

Nerd fitness is having such a positive impact on my life that I feel I should email Steve and thank him personally. :)

Shoryuken!

Archived