Forums are back in action! ×

Good paleo food for camping

Jkaylor

I work on a trail/saw crew and we are out for four to eight days at a time. I have to pack out my own food because i can not eat wheat and that's all everyone else eats. I have been cooking mostly simple meat and veg but am getting bored and wondering if anyone had some good paleo camping food ideas they would like to share.

Trail mix with nuts, seeds and dried fruit, whole fruits (like apples and bananas), veggies (like bell peppers, carrots, and zucchini- these are shelf stable until sliced up!), canned tuna or salmon, ??? Beef jerky might be out if you have a gluten allergy. I don't know if you aren't doing wheat for paleo or because of celiacs or something. But, beef jerky typically has soy sauce which has wheat in it.

If you have access to refrigeration and somewhere to heat up food, you can make meat and veggie packets with yummy spices and stuff. I also make these super yummy meatball kabobs for my girls. I make a veggie soup that we eat for lunches during the week. Chili con carne would be something yummy, too. Hard boiled eggs?

I cook, that's what I do! I am actually vegan right now, but I find paleo very interesting. These suggestions should all fit the bill. I am sure you could also do a search for paleo camping and come up with a boatload of crap! I researched vegan camping the other day! Wow! Who knew so many vegans liked to camp?

You can order/make your own jerky without any sort of grain/starch/sugar.

Do you have a seal-a-meal? When I camp, I tend to take along a bunch of frozen meals in bags, and make sure I have a pot in my cooking gear. After it's done, a quick slash of a knife, and dump the food out into a dish. Gourmet stuff in the wilds! :)

Think hearty beef stew, bacon & egg frittata, sausage gravy to pour over cooked squash or camp-baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, etc.

More bacon sounds good. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I don't think there is a whole lot of wild game to hunt at the campsite we are at in Tahoe, maybe some squirrels and stellar jays.

I use to make up butternut squash soup and bring it out, but have gotten lazy in the last couple months and it is most chicken breasts and veg.

When I was working at Grand Canyon I saw a tourist trying to hand feed a ground squirrel, we warned her not to feed the animals, and then the squirrel jumped up and bit the tip of her finger. There was a lot of blood and cursing in Italian

Archived