Forums are back in action! ×

Planking too hard... lternatives?

I'm really out of shape... well actually, I'm in shape, its just round. I am trying to do a modified angry birds workout to start off building strength. It's hard because I am so overweight that bodyweight is a lot of weight.

I'm doing dumbell rows, with increasing weights before I try Inverted rows (and then hopefully one day, pullups.)

Similarly I'm doing Pushups off of a high counter. Squats are no big deal as my legs are used to my weight.

But oh... the plank... ugh... OH MY GOD THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Even doing planks from the knee planks caused me to have really bad pains in my abs for the next several days.

Am I just doing it wrong? Are there any alternatives I could try that might ease my way?

Or should I just suck it up. :)

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

It's likely just because you're new at them. I would say do them, then take a few days off so you're not sore, then do them again. You'll get stronger and be fine most likely. If the pain (assuming you mean hella soreness) doesn't go away sooner and sooner after your workout, you may want to consult a physician.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hey Grimmthing, I second what CoreyD said. You just need the time to build up the strength. Start off slow like you're already doing and build up from there. Hey as they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day." The body you want, won't be built in a day either. Give yourself credit for just starting and all the little accomplishments you make. Before you know it, planks will be easy as pie for you. Have fun!

Latest: How to Get a Beach Bod in Only 15 Minutes a Day http://fitforlifepledge.com

When I read the title, even though I knew what you meant, I imagined someone planking like the fad but doing so hard their eyes were squished closed and they were making very strenuous noises. My abs hurt really bad too, obviously not as bad as yours as my pain doesn't last that long, but it's probably just because your core is weak. Maybe tape yourself with your phone or use a mirror to make sure your body is in the right form, just in case. It will always hurt or feel uncomfortable, but eventually you will be stronger and it won't hurt like THAT.

Planks are tough to start out because it uses your abs in a way they are rarely used in day-to-day life. For the same reason, the plank is one of the best ab workouts out there—simple, scalable, and effective as all get-out. Like CoreyD said, keep doing them, and you will progress. If you can't manage the volume, only do them every other workout. Planks are isometric, so you're not going to injure yourself, even if your abs are sore.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Have you tried planks with your hands elevated? Like a table push-up; just get into position and hold it for a count of 20 (or as long as you can). Don't just let your stomach dangle, tense up the muscles and make sure your butt is in line (not sticking up or hanging down). You will get better, just keep trying.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

As with the above posters- when you start a new exercise a bit of muscle soreness isn't anything unusual so I wouldn't worry too much. Keep making progress in small steps, and I'm sure your body will get used to planking, particularly as it sounds like you're pretty motivated!

I'd start with Raincloak's recommendation (hands on the counter, like with the pushups), and if you need to, do them every other Angry Birds Workout.

If that doesn't work (if they still cause pain for more than a couple days), your best bet might be to find some other exercise for core work. Planking is awesome, and it works a lot of muscles really intensely, but you can find other exercises that work fewer muscles, less intensely and combine them. Then try a 10 second or less plank again in a few weeks.

As long as you're using good form with your pushups, you'll get there, since you're using all the same muscles as a plank.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Agreed with the "don't do it for so long" advice. Hell, I started my (75 year old, post surgery) mum on them at 10 seconds!

If you want a bit of beneficial fun while you build up your plank time, go out and buy a bag of balloons to blow up! Think I'm kidding? Give it an imaginary try now and feel which muscles have to contract to get enough puff...

Archived