Forums are back in action! ×

Watched the last airbender movie, and now im sad

Jkaylor

Just got done watch the avatar: the last airbender series, which was great and I loved ever second of it (except for jet) but then I decided I should watch the live action movie now that I had finished the series. What a steaming pile that turned out to be. They ruined all of the beat characters, and tried to compress the entire first season to movie length. Okay rant over

One of these days I need to get that series on DVD and watch the rest of it. I used to live with some kids who were obsessed with "Avatar" and even they agreed the movie sucked (except the 10-year-old; he enjoyed it because, you know, flash-bang-zoom and who cares about the acting or plot).

I don't know what's with Shyamalan. He's made ... like ONE good movie (The Sixth Sense), and the rest of them have been utter drivel. And he makes suspense movies. Who the hell decided to put him in charge of a superhero show?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I walked out of the theater after about 10min. Biggest movie let-down I've ever had.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

lol I keep seeing that movie on Netflix and so glad I haven't watched it yet.

Awesome Animes they should never make into live action Movies;

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (or even just FA)

those are two I have off the top of my head, what else can we add?

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I think most anime shows should never be live action movies. It's just a different medium and it doesn't translate well. Turning books into movies is difficult enough, but cartoon to live action ... I don't think I have ever seen it work. Or live action to cartoon, for that matter. They each have a different mood to them, you can't replicate one with the other.

A really dark, slow-paced, contemplative anime might make it as a live action drama. Maybe. But an action or comedy show, forget it.

Good points all around. I was/am a huge fan of the series and I feel like all of the magic was lost on the movie. What I don't understand is I'm sure any average joe would agree that it is usually a bad idea to make a TV series into a movie because you end up trying to jam all of the events that occur in the season into an hour and a half. Successful exceptions would be something like Serenity or the Star Trek movies, but the reason they did well was because all they did was supplement what was already there, rather than try to haphazardly regurgitate it.

Anyway, Arg. But yay for Korra!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

lol I keep seeing that movie on Netflix and so glad I haven't watched it yet.

Awesome Animes they should never make into live action Movies;

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (or even just FA)

those are two I have off the top of my head, what else can we add?

Ummm... Cowboy Bebop is being made into a live action movie with Keanu Reeves as Spike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop#Live-action_film

I kinda want to see it come out of development hell.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Well, I sure hope Reeves has learned to act then. But he probably hasn't. He's got the tall, dark and thin look down (and the posing with handguns), but the trouble is his inability to emote more than one thing. No matter what's going on in the plot, he always looks like a doped rabbit. Not good for a guy who gets paid to act.

In animated shows, characters tend to be highly expressive -- they have to be, cause the visual info is much more simple and concentrated. (So's the audio info; a lot less music etc. going on, so good voice acting is critical.) Part of the problem with taking a cartoon to live action is that you have to tone things down a lot, and add complexity. So the punch is lost. Keanu Reeves already lacks punch, so I'm not seeing any good to come of him playing an animated character.

Well, I sure hope Reeves has learned to act then. But he probably hasn't. He's got the tall, dark and thin look down (and the posing with handguns), but the trouble is his inability to emote more than one thing. No matter what's going on in the plot, he always looks like a doped rabbit. Not good for a guy who gets paid to act.

In animated shows, characters tend to be highly expressive -- they have to be, cause the visual info is much more simple and concentrated. (So's the audio info; a lot less music etc. going on, so good voice acting is critical.) Part of the problem with taking a cartoon to live action is that you have to tone things down a lot, and add complexity. So the punch is lost. Keanu Reeves already lacks punch, so I'm not seeing any good to come of him playing an animated character.

Keanu is a pretty good actor. As long as you get past "Bill and Ted" and "Johnny Mnemonic," he does pretty well. He does get type cast as the tall, skinny, emotionless guy a good bit, but he can do other things. Also, Spike has a good bit of the tall, dark and subdued (at times) in his character already. I think as long as Keanu can get Spike's fight scenes down, he'll be golden.

Also, related to the OP. I'm 3 episodes from finishing an anime (Shangri-la) and then I'm starting Avatar the cartoon. Not the movie, I already suffered through it once.

Level 1 Woodwose

I like Johnny Utah I wouldn't mind seeing him play Spike. It has been so long since I have seen Cowboy bebop all the way through, so maybe I won't notice how much the ruin it. As long as they can find an adorable corgi to play Ein it won't be that bad.

With my love for Avatar, I fear watching that movie. Just like that Dragonball movie they came up with.

Why can't America just leave good things alone?

Avatar is American. So, a better question would be "Why can't Hollywood leave good things alone?" (Nickelodeon is from Studio City, a neighbor of Hollywood)

Level 1 Woodwose

Archived