Forums are back in action! ×

Running is way cheaper than therapy

Running is cheaper than any therapy.

At least that's how it is in my case.

My name is legit. Kelly Elizabeth. I love my name, why come up with a different one? I just turned 25 last Thursday. I'm 5'4, inheirted what I like to call the 1940s or 1950s shape. I love my body. I love myself a good 95% of the time. Then I have the other 5%, that's the dark and twisty side. She's no fun. She's full of bad juju. She's emo, and she's kind of sulky. I don't like her. I keep her maintained by my running. :smug: I love to run. I love to challenge myself.

Two years ago, I graduated college got a full time job, and entered reality. Somewhere in the middle of this, the guy I loved decided to move to Korea and leave me behind. So rather than being productive, I got destructive. I started to party, I started to drink, have the occasional cigarette, and for some reason I also took up running. How in the cloud of crazy I decided that was a good idea I have no idea. Eventually I decided, that aside from the fact I would wake up at 6 am in the morning to 20 degree temperatures, I enjoyed the feel of the air through my lungs, the rush of blood, and the burst of energy I got from those mornings where for a good hour it was just me and my thoughts. I had some of my best ideas while running. I became happier, more confident, and when I saw my three best friends I realized I didn't need the other things because I was freaking awesome without the smoke filled bars that smelt of Jack Daniels and shame. That was all about the bad juju, and I had to fix my juju. My runs in the morning were becoming the good juju. I could figure out just about anything while I ran.

Good juju led to good things. Last August, I moved out my small community to San Diego. It was great. I loved my new job. I loved my new area. And I loved my new life. However, good things can be infected by other peoples bad juju. Bad juju infects everything. And when you have unhappy people who get their happiness by hurting others then it's hard to keep perspective. No bueno. I ended up allowing myself to get very down in the dumps, stopped my good juju running, and instead embraced my good juju Chipotle which led to bad juju no fitting into my jeans which led to more good juju Chipotle. See this cycle of bad juju?

I've rectified the situation. I took myself out of my now toxic job. I made a new goal to enter graduate school, and I've started running again. First just around the block, then more. Slowly I'm getting my stride back.

I don't need to be thinner, nor do I need to fit into a wedding dress anytime soon, rather I need to be healthier. Not being healthy physically lead to not being healthy emotionally, and in other ways as well. If I can work at being healthy physically, then I believe the rest will come with time.

It's important to not dis the good juju from where ever it may come. Goodness is goodness.

I hope to use this as a way to challenge myself and not to allow myself to slide back.

I'm working towards small goals. Goal number one, be able to run a 5k in 45 minutes, without a cool down.

Eventually, be able to complete a Half Marathon. More to come I hope. :livid:

Happy. Dreamer. Runner. Teacher. Fighter. Girl.

My journey for the juju.

KellyElizabeth's First Challenge Thread

I like your good juju/bad juju explanation :D

Also..running is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than therapy. And more fun, too!

Welcome to NF!

I'm glad you enjoyed my explanation. It was the best way I could explain it without it sounding ridiculous. Which it does anyways, and I'm perfectly fine with that! :topsy_turvy:

My journey for the juju.

Welcome to the rebellion! I embraced running as well, when my ex went AWOL and my dad passed away. I couldn't put my head on straight, and the only thing that kept me alive and functioning was walking which led to copious amounts of running.

Way to go!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

You need this shirt. Heck *I* need that shirt!!! haha

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Welcome to the rebellion! I embraced running as well, when my ex went AWOL and my dad passed away. I couldn't put my head on straight, and the only thing that kept me alive and functioning was walking which led to copious amounts of running.

Way to go!

I need that shirt! I would wear it all the time! I may buy it right now! lol

Yep, my ex kind of said hey I'm going to go to Korea, and two weeks later break up with you in an email. :ambivalence:

Oh well, running became the best thing ever.

And yes... you're right. You have an Owl, so everyone one else is wrong. Ha ha. :)

My journey for the juju.

Archived