Forums are back in action! ×

Suggested Workout/Nutrition Apps?

Hey, I finally got a smart phone. Running the most recent version of Android, even. I have been tracking my workouts and nutrition on an Excel sheet, but I'm pretty sure technology has allowed us to get a bit more accurate and a bit more in depth than that, yeah?

What apps does everyone like to use for tracking workout and food nutrition data?

What doesn't kill me makes me smarter.

For tracking workouts, look at Fitocracy, Fleetly, and Nexercise.

Depends on what phone you have though, I guess.

For diet, I haven't found any apps that I've been real happy with on the free side.... I currently have MyNetDiary on my iPhone, but I honestly hardly use it.

I hear the Livestrong diet app is pretty good.

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

I use MyFitnessPal for nutrition. It works well enough that I haven't been frustrated enough to switch yet.

If you're looking for cardio tracking, I used to use Endomondo before switching over to using Zombies, Run during my runs (totally worth it, by the way). Although, I know there are several other good offerings for android in this department; those are just what I use.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fire.eagle

Elf Assassin

STR: 6 DEX: 5.5 STA: 4.75 CON: 5 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3.75

Assassin Wannabe | Be Prepared

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

[/table]

I use MyFitnessPal for nutrition. It works well enough that I haven't been frustrated enough to switch yet.

If you're looking for cardio tracking, I used to use Endomondo before switching over to using Zombies, Run during my runs (totally worth it, by the way). Although, I know there are several other good offerings for android in this department; those are just what I use.

Lol, same two recommendations. I like that you can edit your MyFitnessPal entries both from your android and online. Plus their database and bar code scanner is handy.

And Zombies, Run is a fun addition to your running.

MeshflipVampiric RangerLevel 2 || 86.7% expSTR 6 || DEX 2 || STA 9 || CON 4 || WIS 15 || CHA 7

Meshflip's January 7th to February 18th Challenge

Meshflip's August 6th to September 17th Challenge

Meshflip's June 18th to July 30th Challenge

Find a job you like and you add five days to every week - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

I use the MFP app for calories/ macros, Jefit to track my weight training (how much, how many, and when), and CardioTrainer to track caloric output (all workouts go here for caloric burn estimates).

I'm on Ice Cream Sandwich, but I think they all can run on Gingerbread, too.

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

I only do free apps. On my Android (Gingerbread) phone, I have MyFitnessPal (for workout and nutrition tracking), RunKeeper, MyIntervalTimer (really basic, but good for HIIT workouts), Strength Lite (for StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or lifting in general), and Pandora (not specifically for working out, but good for listening to music while running).

I only do free apps. On my Android (Gingerbread) phone, I have MyFitnessPal (for workout and nutrition tracking), RunKeeper, MyIntervalTimer (really basic, but good for HIIT workouts), Strength Lite (for StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or lifting in general), and Pandora (not specifically for working out, but good for listening to music while running).

RIGHT! Pandora is a lifesaver :)

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

I use Fitocracy It gives you points for activities you do, and gives you a little bit of more instant feedback then this forum does. so if you have a question like I did a few weeks back, when I started working out. "I have been doing a mile everyday walking for the past 5 days I know I should take a rest day but I'm worried I wont get started again.. So should I rest today or should I do my walk?" within 30 minutes I had several replies and I took my rest day. For Nutrition I've been using my fitness plus, which has been fabulous and seems to have 95 Percent of foods I have eaten. The fitness section on that site stinks though.. I prefer points and leveling up with fito. Anyways I know they both have apps. (actually pretty sure Fitocracy has one) And it seems to work for me.

DoodleDwarven Adventurer Level 2= STR-3 | DEX-2 | STA-2 | CON-3 | WIS-2 (+1) | CHA-2 (+1)

When Life pushes Me.. I Push Back Harder

Current Challenge: Doodle's finds her spirit again. (Level 2) | First challenge: Level 1: finding the canvas

Leader of The Mighty Adventuring CompanionsMyFitnessPal | fitocracy

Cool; thanks so much for the advice, everyone. :)

I've been trying out MyFitnessPal for food tracking and it seems to do pretty well; since I'm used to recording my food anyway it's actually really nice because even if I do a special dish that isn't in their program, I can just jot the relevant nutrition info down in notes and drop the calories into the tracker.

I still haven't really decided on something to track my workouts. Mostly I've been alternating between the Beginner Bodyweight Workout, doing some hatha yoga as an active recovery thing when I get sore, and playing Kinect Sports. Hatha Yoga usually shows up but I've been having a lot of trouble finding a program that will let me record "60 squats, 30 pushups, 60 lunges, 60 dumbbell rows, 1min of planking, 90 jumping jacks, in 30-45min" all in one workout. I've mostly been just jotting it down as "calisthenics" but I guess I was expecting a bit more specificity?

What doesn't kill me makes me smarter.

No one has mentioned JEfit yet? I use that for creating/organizing, even downloading other people's exercise routines. Myfitnesspal app/site for calorie / macro-nutrient tracking has been sufficient so far.

**EDIT** missed Lizifer's full post, jefit mentioned, Great app, I like the "you've just set a new 1rm record" notices!

Archived