Forums are back in action! ×

Hi......

I found this place when my friend linked me to Spezzy's success story, which was remarkably inspiring. So, I dove into the blog, lurked the forum and now I'm here.

About Me: 25, green-haired, artist, living in California. Hoping to eat better and start working out regularly. From a numbers perspective, I'm 5'4 and want to lose about 60 lbs while still maintaining (and hopefully building) lean muscle.

My crazy dream would be to eventually get strong enough that I can lift my current weight--190 lbs. (That seems kind of funny, to be able to pick yourself up. ^_^)

--The Road So Far:

Started eating more Paleo--I'd say I'm around 95%? Giving up rice was the worst--as an Asian, it kind of felt like walking away from my heritage. But y'know, you do what you gotta.

I'm not really willing to give up my occasional goat cheese yet, so that's keeping me from being 100% Paleo (I guess? People seem divided about goat and sheep milk and cheese.)

As for exercise, I'm starting with the body-weight training (Angry Birds 3 times a week, working that up as I go along) and working on getting started on free-weights. I took weight-lifting as a PE course in college and really enjoyed it, but it's been 2 years and I'm not confident enough to just start up again by myself. Finding some local support (like an independent trainer, as my gym isn't terribly helpful) is my current challenge.

This is just a start, and this forum seems like a great place to get tips, encouragement and accountability. ^_^

[Edit] I'm not sure what I bring to the table. Optimism? Encouragement? Endless Curiosity? Heck, if somehow you need a photo resized or you're in the CA area and you want a celebratory I-reached-my-strength-goals photoshoot, I'd love to do that for you ^_^

Other Random info (at the bottom for the tl;dr factor)

My Nerd-doms:

-Photography. I like portraits and am hoping to work with friends who Cosplay to provide them with better "portfolio" images.

-Costume Design and Sewing: I've done costumes for a couple of independent films (one was high fantasy, that was fun) and I like to make Steampunk and Neo-Victorian Gothic clothing articles for myself and friends.

-Tabletop Gaming: D&D and Exalted on a weekly basis (Lunars forever!).

Generally fond of RPGS (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Chrono Trigger/Cross). I'm not a gamer per-se, but I'm one of those "watchers" who enjoy watching others do playthroughs. *shrug*

-Catching up on Buffy, learning to love Doctor Who, and always on the lookout for a good new anime.

Dwarf Adventurer

Level: 0 <--so sad!

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:4

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

Current Challenge:--Slaying the Beast of Maybe Tomorrow

Heya Green Fairy! Welcome to the Rebellion! Here we can help with anything from Advice to Motivation, just don't hesitate to ask! I'm from california too, and if you check the Meet-ups, we're VERY SLOWLY making a plan for one for SoCal, So if you're around the Area, you should definitely come!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Welcome to the Rebellion, Green one!

My crazy dream would be to eventually get strong enough that I can lift my current weight--190 lbs. (That seems kind of funny, to be able to pick yourself up. ^_^)

That is an awesome goal, plus you know that if you are ever in distress, you can throw yourself on your shoulders and carry yourself to safety. Right?

I'm not really willing to give up my occasional goat cheese yet, so that's keeping me from being 100% Paleo (I guess? People seem divided about goat and sheep milk and cheese.)

Have you checked out Primal eating? It is basically paleo, but it still allows (certain) dairy. It is somewhat what I am, but I only save that for the awesome Amish cheeses I rarely get around here (kinda similar to you and the goat cheese).

I'm not sure what I bring to the table. Optimism? Encouragement? Endless Curiosity? Heck, if somehow you need a photo resized or you're in the CA area and you want a celebratory I-reached-my-strength-goals photoshoot, I'd love to do that for you ^_^

Other Random info (at the bottom for the tl;dr factor)

My Nerd-doms:

-Photography. I like portraits and am hoping to work with friends who Cosplay to provide them with better "portfolio" images.

-Costume Design and Sewing: I've done costumes for a couple of independent films (one was high fantasy, that was fun) and I like to make Steampunk and Neo-Victorian Gothic clothing articles for myself and friends.

-Tabletop Gaming: D&D and Exalted on a weekly basis (Lunars forever!).

Generally fond of RPGS (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Chrono Trigger/Cross). I'm not a gamer per-se, but I'm one of those "watchers" who enjoy watching others do playthroughs. *shrug*

-Catching up on Buffy, learning to love Doctor Who, and always on the lookout for a good new anime.

Everything you bring to the table is all good. You seem to be a pretty well rounded nerd, and the endless curiosity will fit in really well. We all seem to have a lot of curiosity and there are so many knowledgeable people here that you can always find help with basically anything you need.

I wanna see some of your costumes! If you don't mind that is. I love cosplay/fantasy/"-punk" clothing and always wanted to learn to be a seamster (tailor?).

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Heya Green Fairy! Welcome to the Rebellion! Here we can help with anything from Advice to Motivation, just don't hesitate to ask! I'm from california too, and if you check the Meet-ups, we're VERY SLOWLY making a plan for one for SoCal, So if you're around the Area, you should definitely come!

Thanks! I definitely have advice questions, so I will be sure to ask them when the time/place is appropriate. ^_^

A SoCal meet-up sounds shiny, though. In your experience, are there a lot of NerdFit people from the SoCal area?

Dwarf Adventurer

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

heh heh, See for yourself: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?1721-Southern-California So far nothing is set in stone, so feel free to let us know where you are!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Have you checked out Primal eating? It is basically paleo, but it still allows (certain) dairy. It is somewhat what I am, but I only save that for the awesome Amish cheeses I rarely get around here (kinda similar to you and the goat cheese).

I went to MarksDailyApple before, but I got a bad case of information overload XD This seems to be a little more condensed and straight-forward. Thanks for the help!

I wanna see some of your costumes! If you don't mind that is. I love cosplay/fantasy/"-punk" clothing and always wanted to learn to be a seamster (tailor?).

Not a problem. :3 I can't seem to find any of the steampunk stuff I've done besides a really bad pair (by which I mean, poorly constructed but a first attempt and thus much loved by myself) of goggles.

But here are the bits I made out of my personal wardrobe. (The items constructed by myself are the link titles)

Skull Skirt

Velvet Coat, Skirt, and Necklace

Hat and Lightly Reinforced Vest

Vest, Bustle and Skirt from Front

Same, but from the back.

Making clothing is alot of fun! If you've ever got some free-time and access to a local sewing class, you really should take it up. Being able to hem your own pants or mend rips in clothing is handy, plus you suddenly have the ability to actually make costumes.

Heh. Sewing actually employs a lot of the same principles related to being successful in one's health-goals: You get through the parts that are less interesting (sewing hems -_-) because the ultimate payoff is worth it. ^_^;;

Anyway. Thanks again for the welcome!

Dwarf Adventurer

I went to MarksDailyApple before, but I got a bad case of information overload XD This seems to be a little more condensed and straight-forward. Thanks for the help!

I don't really care too much for browsing through his site (hardcore information overload), but I keep going back to his Primal Blueprint 101 page, which links to each of his definitive guides.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz20fvuk47N

Not a problem. :3 I can't seem to find any of the steampunk stuff I've done besides a really bad pair (by which I mean, poorly constructed but a first attempt and thus much loved by myself) of goggles.

But here are the bits I made out of my personal wardrobe. (The items constructed by myself are the link titles)

<snip>

Making clothing is alot of fun! If you've ever got some free-time and access to a local sewing class, you really should take it up. Being able to hem your own pants or mend rips in clothing is handy, plus you suddenly have the ability to actually make costumes.

Heh. Sewing actually employs a lot of the same principles related to being successful in one's health-goals: You get through the parts that are less interesting (sewing hems -_-) because the ultimate payoff is worth it. ^_^;;

Those are awesome! I really like that skirt in the last 2 pictures. Really cute, if I wasn't a guy, I'd wear it. Haha

Sadly, there are no sewing classes around here that I know of. So I am limited to finding someone who does it on the side or trying to become an apprentice at the 1 alteration shop in a 40 mile radius. I actually did have a seamstress willing to teach me the basics, but she was an ex's aunt and after we broke up I had no way of getting a hold of the aunt again.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Archived