Forums are back in action! ×

Homebrewing Beer

ICB

I just started this year. Two batches under my belt. The first was one of the Brewer's Best kits (English Brown Ale). It went well. I have a few six packs left. My second batch was a recipe from a local store (they are super cool and helpful, and quite close to my house - prices are comparable to online, but without shipping!). I did a London Porter (named it Hey Porter, after the Johnny Cash song). It came out really nice. Very tasty. Big and bold. If I did the math right (and took my readings right), it came out to about 6%, and as I am a bit of a lightweight when it comes to drinking I only need two before I'm done.

I am either going to do a Scottish 80 shilling or a chocolate stout for my next batch. I prefer malty UK styles.

Rooks, how is your wife doing the oaking? Do you have big barrels hanging out in your kitchen/basement/closet? If so, seriously good on her!

I wish! We actually looked into getting a 1 or 3 gallon oak barrel, but you have to super diligent with barrels apparently (something about always keeping them wet and changing the water every 2 weeks, etc.). We just decided that was too much work. Actually, we've had really good luck with just simply putting a small bag of oak chips in during the first fermenter. We've did it with a stout and I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.

If you google "using oak chips in homebrew" you'll see a whole load of articles about it. Can't recommend any as work blocker doesn't like "alcohol" related pages. :)

I would love to brew my own beer at some point and this discussion is making me want to even more.

ICB, brew and blog away! And since you're into the trappists, if you ever brew anything that tastes close to an Orval, I want to know exactly what you did :)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Man, this thread is makin' me want to hit the brew shop after work...

Must. get. more. hops...

On a related topic, has anyone tried to grow their own hops? I'd love to try that, and have experience with gardening/horticulture (of the backyard variety...not like, farming or anything). Anyone with experience out there?

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

I've done quite a bit of brewing while I was younger, but haven't done so much as of late.

In college I brewed A LOT. But my roomate and I had a combined setup, when we parted ways I took the brewing equipment, he took the kegging equipment.

Bottling SUCKS.

My taste in beer has also changed over the years. I still don't mind a dark beer now and then. However my taste for hops, especially in an ale, is virtually nonexistant nowadays. I've come to really prefer drinking lagers, which doesn't go so good with homebrewing....

However I do have the first and hardest to find piece of equipment for making lagers...a precision thermostat. I use it for my smoker, but it would work just fine to control the temperture of a fridge to an exact point. My next house WILL have space for a fridge that can be used for lagering, plus I'm going to get some kegging equipment to go with it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've done quite a bit of brewing while I was younger, but haven't done so much as of late.

In college I brewed A LOT. But my roomate and I had a combined setup, when we parted ways I took the brewing equipment, he took the kegging equipment.

Bottling SUCKS.

My taste in beer has also changed over the years. I still don't mind a dark beer now and then. However my taste for hops, especially in an ale, is virtually nonexistant nowadays. I've come to really prefer drinking lagers, which doesn't go so good with homebrewing....

However I do have the first and hardest to find piece of equipment for making lagers...a precision thermostat. I use it for my smoker, but it would work just fine to control the temperture of a fridge to an exact point. My next house WILL have space for a fridge that can be used for lagering, plus I'm going to get some kegging equipment to go with it.

Totally agree man. Now that we have the kegging system, it's so much easier. Don't have worry about day 4-6 week away when you have to wash 50 empty bottles of beer, fill them, cap them. Ugh... such a pain. Only did it three times, but didn't enjoy it any of those times.

Also, for those reading, my wife pointed out last night that we are actually making an 80 Schilling, not a 90 Schilling (told you she was the brewmaster). :smug:

On a related topic, has anyone tried to grow their own hops? I'd love to try that, and have experience with gardening/horticulture (of the backyard variety...not like, farming or anything). Anyone with experience out there?

I've started some Willamette hops in my back yard. Don't expect to get anything your first year. They're busy growing the little rhizome you bought into an actual plant below the surface. You're supposed to get better results the second year. For me, between the heat and rabbits constantly eating the tips (or base) off of the bines, it's not been a good first year. Hopefully I'll see some cones next year. My old roommate and I have plans for a fresh hopped imperial IPA.

Bottling SUCKS.

Yup. I bought a kegging system literally after my first batch of homebrew was done. I didn't have to deal with that again, as convenient as it is to have bottles ready. And I was still in college, so I could tell people I have kegs in my apartment. :P

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fire.eagle

Elf Assassin

STR: 6 DEX: 5.5 STA: 4.75 CON: 5 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3.75

Assassin Wannabe | Be Prepared

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

[/table]

I've started some Willamette hops in my back yard. Don't expect to get anything your first year. They're busy growing the little rhizome you bought into an actual plant below the surface. You're supposed to get better results the second year. For me, between the heat and rabbits constantly eating the tips (or base) off of the bines, it's not been a good first year. Hopefully I'll see some cones next year. My old roommate and I have plans for a fresh hopped imperial IPA.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

I'm one of those few who still bottles. Yes, it's a pain in the ass. BUT I try to stick to a paleo diet, so I usually end up giving away most of my beer. I think I've had maybe 8 or so bottles out of the 50 I got in the last batch. Everything else was given away in sweet glass packages.

Soon we are going to pick up a Mash Ton and try out first all grain recipe.

7603585274_66377b5591_z.jpg

This is the system I made for all-grain brews. I'll be trying it out on this coming batch. The parts cost me about $40 and it seems to work really well. Google "cooler mash tun conversion" and you should find a ton of plans for it.

And thanks, everyone! I'll be brewing within the next couple of weeks and I'll start a new thread for it. I'm looking forward to documenting it!

Soon we are going to pick up a Mash Ton and try out first all grain recipe.

I'm still focusing on my hops expertise, so I'm brewing with liquid extract still so as to limit the variations/potential for eff-ups between batches. I've gotta nail down at least 4 solid recipes before I can move on to the partial-mash or all-grain business. Let us know how that project goes!!

I'm still focusing on my hops expertise, so I'm brewing with liquid extract still so as to limit the variations/potential for eff-ups between batches. I've gotta nail down at least 4 solid recipes before I can move on to the partial-mash or all-grain business. Let us know how that project goes!!

I had this idea for a beer with seven different hops; I would name it after the seven gods in Game of Thrones. The trouble is I haven't actually found seven different hops that would play well together. Do you have any ideas?

I had this idea for a beer with seven different hops; I would name it after the seven gods in Game of Thrones. The trouble is I haven't actually found seven different hops that would play well together. Do you have any ideas?

Sweet naming idea :) Um, so you like the malty over the bitter? What style of beer are you going for (ale, I'm assuming, and with that many hops maybe an amber or darker ale)? What IBU range are you looking at (personally, I like to hit the 18-25 range...anything beyond that I usually find too bitter - I'm a malty guy, myself)?

For bittering hops, I use Northern Brewer cause my brew shop always has 'em in stock and they seem to go well with most everything. I've had good batches using Chinook as the bittering hops, too (strong bittering potential and even somewhat flavorful, even if used to bitter). For aroma/flavor, I love (even though it is soooo cliche now) Cascade, and have used them successfully with both Northern Brewer and Chinook. Also, Amarillo Gold are good (which I used once when my brew shop ran out of Cascade)...and I think they would go well together, although I've never tried that combo myself. I think a good addition to the hops above would be either Nugget (if earthiness is your thing) or Bullion (if deep fruitiness is your thing). I'd use either (or both at once!) of these as aroma hops, not bittering hops (even though Bullion is often used for bittering). Them maybe round it all out with a mid-boil noble hop? I've used Hallertauer and found it very nice :)

So that's 7, I think

- Northern Brewer/Chinook for bittering

- Hallertauer (or some other noble that you like) mid-boil

- Amarillo Gold/Cascade/Bullion/Nugget for aroma (or, use Bullion/Nugget during the last 15 min of the boil and use Amarillo Gold/Cascade to dry hop!!)

I usually limit myself to 3 hops or less per batch, but that combo actually sounds pretty tasty :) You'd get (hopefully :)) medium bitterness levels, sharp hints of citrus-pine, and underlying earthiness with a suble but deep currant flavor/aroma.

I guess you'd have to fiddle with the amounts of each to get exactly what you wanted. What do you think?

Edit: Just did some calculations - if you use 10g each of the aroma/dry hops (15 min/7 days), 15g noble (30 min), and 20g each of the bittering hops (60 min), you'd end with IBUs around 27. Not to shabs :) I'd definitely use this combo in an amber ale.

Gah! Someone post something!! So excited to talk about beer :)

Well, not homebrew related, but it is beer talk. Going to the Wash Nats game tonight that includes all draft beers for free :) On tap worth mentioning are:

Fat Tire

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy

Sam Adams Seasonal

Blue Moon

It's almost noon and I'm already debating what I want to drink first :)

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Sweet naming idea :) Um, so you like the malty over the bitter? What style of beer are you going for (ale, I'm assuming, and with that many hops maybe an amber or darker ale)? What IBU range are you looking at (personally, I like to hit the 18-25 range...anything beyond that I usually find too bitter - I'm a malty guy, myself)?

For bittering hops, I use Northern Brewer cause my brew shop always has 'em in stock and they seem to go well with most everything. I've had good batches using Chinook as the bittering hops, too (strong bittering potential and even somewhat flavorful, even if used to bitter). For aroma/flavor, I love (even though it is soooo cliche now) Cascade, and have used them successfully with both Northern Brewer and Chinook. Also, Amarillo Gold are good (which I used once when my brew shop ran out of Cascade)...and I think they would go well together, although I've never tried that combo myself. I think a good addition to the hops above would be either Nugget (if earthiness is your thing) or Bullion (if deep fruitiness is your thing). I'd use either (or both at once!) of these as aroma hops, not bittering hops (even though Bullion is often used for bittering). Them maybe round it all out with a mid-boil noble hop? I've used Hallertauer and found it very nice :)

So that's 7, I think

- Northern Brewer/Chinook for bittering

- Hallertauer (or some other noble that you like) mid-boil

- Amarillo Gold/Cascade/Bullion/Nugget for aroma (or, use Bullion/Nugget during the last 15 min of the boil and use Amarillo Gold/Cascade to dry hop!!)

I usually limit myself to 3 hops or less per batch, but that combo actually sounds pretty tasty :) You'd get (hopefully :)) medium bitterness levels, sharp hints of citrus-pine, and underlying earthiness with a suble but deep currant flavor/aroma.

I guess you'd have to fiddle with the amounts of each to get exactly what you wanted. What do you think?

Edit: Just did some calculations - if you use 10g each of the aroma/dry hops (15 min/7 days), 15g noble (30 min), and 20g each of the bittering hops (60 min), you'd end with IBUs around 27. Not to shabs :) I'd definitely use this combo in an amber ale.

I think that's actually a perfect balance. I freaking love Hallertauer. I've been thinking about doing a single grain, single hop brew with hallertauer and whatever-goes-nicely-with-hallertauer. I think an amber ale would be perfect for a seven-hop mix.

I do definitely favor the malty over the bitter. I can't stand IPAs.

Well, not homebrew related, but it is beer talk. Going to the Wash Nats game tonight that includes all draft beers for free :) On tap worth mentioning are:

Fat Tire

Sam Adams Seasonal

Blue Moon

I do the same thing any time I know we're going to a brew pub or a Flying Saucer or anywhere with an extensive beer selection. I kind of feel like a hefeweizen. Maybe a witbier? Or I could do something completely different and get a hard cider from somewhere. Maybe a lambic? No, I don't want to waste the first beer of the night. Perhaps a....

Fat Tire

Sam Adams Seasonal

Blue Moon

That. Is. Awesome. Truly a debate worth having :)

:applouse: ^this = winner

But what did you do with all that beer? I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is my biggest single obstacle to brewing. I have multiple carboys, multiple fermenters. I could have about six different beers going at any one moment. BUT if I did, I would have gallons and gallons of beer that no one would drink. What do you guys do with all of your beer?!

I think that's actually a perfect balance. I freaking love Hallertauer. I've been thinking about doing a single grain, single hop brew with hallertauer and whatever-goes-nicely-with-hallertauer. I think an amber ale would be perfect for a seven-hop mix.

I do definitely favor the malty over the bitter. I can't stand IPAs.

Ya, IPAs aren't my thing, either. lol - as I was typing that 7 hop mix I recorded it in my brewing app. Gonna try it on for size later. I feel like it's probably a fall/winter beer :)

But what did you do with all that beer? I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is my biggest single obstacle to brewing. I have multiple carboys, multiple fermenters. I could have about six different beers going at any one moment. BUT if I did, I would have gallons and gallons of beer that no one would drink. What do you guys do with all of your beer?!

I probably drink about 1/2 of mine and share the rest of the wealth. Makes for good Christmas presents, too, if you present it nicely (like in a nice wooden 6-pack case and bottled in some old Grolsch bottles).

I do the same thing any time I know we're going to a brew pub or a Flying Saucer or anywhere with an extensive beer selection. I kind of feel like a hefeweizen. Maybe a witbier? Or I could do something completely different and get a hard cider from somewhere. Maybe a lambic? No, I don't want to waste the first beer of the night. Perhaps a....

Exactly! ~5 more hours to decide how things will begin :)

That. Is. Awesome. Truly a debate worth having :)

Should be a good night!

Last time one of the bartenders did her own spin on a hot summer day's beer. She did almost a full pull of the Sam Seasonal leaving about an inch or so at the top and added a couple quick pulls of the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy to finish it off. She called it her Diesel, and I have to admit, it was great for that hot summer day!

I probably drink about 1/2 of mine and share the rest of the wealth. Makes for good Christmas presents, too, if you present it nicely (like in a nice wooden 6-pack case and bottled in some old Grolsch bottles).

I gave away most of my last batch as well. With the number of kegs described above, though, I would quickly run out of willing recipients.

If I could brew every weekend and that beer would just magically disappear after I brewed it, I totally would.

Archived