Forums are back in action! ×

Help, Encouragement needed!

Amazon Grimm

Okay so today is supposed to be the second day of my Starting Strength program.

I'm trying to go for morning workouts as evening ones are too easy to blow off for more urgent issues.

I wound up massively oversleeping today and now I have to motivate myself to go home, and increase my squat and deadlift, and start bench pressing (with no bench or an improvised bench)

I'm really worried about making this work.

This will be so much easier when I have a simple bench and my homemade Squat/Bench/Safety stands unit built.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

"Insert encouragement here"

If you are worried maybe put off increasing your lifting until you can get the stuff you need, just don't put off what you are lifting now, but only if you can do it safely

Sorry if I'm not much help, but I just want to say you can do it and good luck

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Maybe switch to some Bodyweight routines until you have a sufficient set up for weights? Steve has some great ones listed on NF. Now for inspiration here is some Teddy Roosevelt!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DragonBorne Adventurer

STR 4.5 DEX 4 STA 4.5 CON 5.25 WIS 8 CHA 3

"Time for some thrilling heroics." Jayne Cobb

Current Challenge My Fitness Pal

[/TABLE]

The best words of wisdom that I've come across here: "I'm not telling you that it's going to be easy; I'm telling you that it's going to be worth it."

Good luck!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Try setting your alarm for 20-30mins before you need to be up for your workout. For me, I need to leave the house by 6am for my morning workout-so I need to wake up at 5:45 to get ready, but I'll set my first alarm for 5:15. It helps me mentally I think because I still feel like I got a little extra sleep. Or another trick-drink a ton of water before bed so that in the morning your desire to go to the bathroom is greater than your desire to sleep in. Once you're out of bed-no more excuses.

Actual words of encouragement? I always find Nike's "Just do it" works for me. Cheesy, but I just keep repeating "don't over think, don't make excuses, don't whine, just do the damn thing already". And like faerywethyr said-if you don't have your equipment ready yet, do bodyweight work-just do something, anything so that you can look back on your day and know you've taken another step in the right direction!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Logistics can be a real nightmare when you don't have the equipment at home for sure. But! You've started the program, and even if you don't go today, you can CHOOSE to work out tomorrow...and you can CHOOSE to work out again after that. And again, and again. Choose to work out. Plan ahead. Perservere when, no matter what you choose, life gets in the way :)

You can do it!!!!!

"Your 'best'! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen." Be the prom king.

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Archived