Forums are back in action! ×

First 3 mile run I think.. ever... and in my vibrams!

Since coming down from weighing near 400lbs and doing a lot of core conditioning and body weight exercises, I've started to run, an activity which I flirted with a few times in my life but never lasted. I've just recently started running and I wanted to start from the get go doing barefoot/vibram running and learning how to run right(thats actually how I found nerd fitness on google about barefoot running). I had been doing a mile here and there but the other day I did my first 3 mile run! I'm looking to push it up to five miles within the next month or so.. leveling up my uber paleo man running abilities :)

anyone else running on vibrams or barefoot? I'd like to find out from someone how it is working for them a year or more into it.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Watch out you may become addicted to running, not that it would be a bad thing. If you want to know anything about running barefoot or about running in genral ask / look for Barefoot Dawsy, he knows his stuff, or instead you could ask in the scout field - lots of runners there

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

oh thanks for the info! it's much appreciated. And yes I can feel the whole addiction thing creeping in, but I'm taking it easy and building up into it as I have too many runners in my life who ended up with horrid back and leg problems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I just started running in my Vibrams recently as well. They really seem like a great tool to encourage proper running form. I would definitely suggest that you keep up the research on barefoot running and technique in general to make sure that your form is as efficient and safe as you can make it. I've found some great technique demos on YouTube. Don't be in too much of a hurry to start running marathons in these shoes though. I've heard some baddddd stories about doing too much too soon. Vibram has a pretty good strengthening guide to build up to long distances that I've been using, though I agree that these shoes are making me super excited to just go crazy with distance right away! Keep us posted on your progress and congrats again on the 3 miles!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Demigod Warrior

STR: 7 DEX: 3.75 STA: 5.75 CON: 4.25 WIS: 4 CHA: 3.25

Backstory|Battle Log|Challenge Thread|Fitocracy

Rockslide I hear ya, I also use the strenghtening guide. I've found an easy time with the vibrams because in the past few years between time at the monastery and going barefoot/sandal in my wilderness walks, I've pretty much shucked boots and shoes when I don't HAVE to use em, for work etc. I am definitly taking it easy though because I have done the research and know what type of injuries people can do to themselves with jumping right into barefooting.

I recently finished born to run, but I've started a book by the "guru" of barefoot running, Barefoot Ken Bob called " barefoot running,step by step", which is very technical with how to run without hurting yourself. I'm doing a couple 6 mile mud runs(I did my first last year in my boots..) , one in August and one in September, and I've been strengthening, working on my form, and building up the miles for those, although if you've done a mud run before you know there is more sitting around on line waiting to do obstacles then actual running LOL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yay! I'm a Vibrams runner too! Congrats I'm your new mileage. :)

I have been running in my Vibrams for 6 months, and this is the longest I've ever gone without having to take a break for knee injuries. I've gone as far as 15k, not sure how many miles that is but it was hella hard for me. A more typical day is 8k.

Anyways glad your doing so well and improving your health by running. Keep it up!

Yay! I'm a Vibrams runner too! Congrats I'm your new mileage. :)

I have been running in my Vibrams for 6 months, and this is the longest I've ever gone without having to take a break for knee injuries. I've gone as far as 15k, not sure how many miles that is but it was hella hard for me. A more typical day is 8k.

Anyways glad your doing so well and improving your health by running. Keep it up!

my goal is to get to 12k by September, I think I can do it now actually.. in all honesty the thing that keeps me back/beats me up more then anything is my legs as they get use to running barefoot or vibrams more then the cardio aspect of the run. Thanks for the kind words of motivation!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived