Forums are back in action! ×

Different Kinds of Goals...

Amazon Grimm

I'm realizing after hanging around here a bit, that I've thought about fitness in terms of the number on the scale for too long.

The scale number is gigantic, and the caloric math required to lower it frightening and feels out of my ability to control.

There are better ways.

Deadlift 135 lbs. (then 200), and various lifting goals.

Be able to wear a XXL T-Shirt and/or 48 Waist Pants.

Do one, stinking, pull-up.

Do one stinking push-up.

Real measurable goals.

Forget the scale.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

Forget the scale.

Took me months to get this, and after I did, my lifts went up and my bf% went down a little due to the muscle I built. A big quote around here is that "form is a consequence of fitness" or something along those lines. You're getting that. Concentrate on being strong and fit and the form will come, slowly but surely.

You're my favorite new member in a awhile, I always really enjoy your posts.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I think forgetting the scale is a great idea and something I am working toward myself. I'm constantly in awe of how little regard my husband has for the number on the scale. He went to the doctor the other day and discovered that he is up about 20 lbs from where he was two years ago. But he was also pretty dang thin back then and has since started lifting heavy and eating to support his training. He's been putting on muscle (and a bit of fat) like a beast! His pants still fit. So, he looked at the number and it was just a piece of data for him, not the catalyst to a meltdown like it is for many people.

I've always been immune to worrying about weight fluctuation. When you can lose 100 lbs, and still be morbidly obese, it comes with the territory. Plus or minus a few dozen pounds ain't a big deal.

This is different. It's opening my eyes that there can be other measures.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

I've always been immune to worrying about weight fluctuation. When you can lose 100 lbs, and still be morbidly obese, it comes with the territory. Plus or minus a few dozen pounds ain't a big deal.

This is different. It's opening my eyes that there can be other measures.

I think that's perfect. It's probably the best thing for everyone. After all, the scale really does mean very little when it comes to health. Concentrate on helping your body do the things you want to be able to do and eventually, the number on the scale will fall in line. At least that's what I have to keep reminding myself....

I'm realizing after hanging around here a bit, that I've thought about fitness in terms of the number on the scale for too long.

The scale number is gigantic, and the caloric math required to lower it frightening and feels out of my ability to control.

There are better ways.

Deadlift 135 lbs. (then 200), and various lifting goals.

Be able to wear a XXL T-Shirt and/or 48 Waist Pants.

Do one, stinking, pull-up.

Do one stinking push-up.

Real measurable goals.

Forget the scale.

Word. I am with you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 1 Dirge. Singing songs that make you run or die.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?14741-Dragonlyres-Quest

Using only scale is wrong, also using it wrong may demotivate you. I was 91kg a week ago, now im 91,4 kg wtf? I should have lost little more then 1kg. What went wrong? Started strength training again, maybe i stored more water? My stomach wasn`t empty, maybe i had to much water in my system anyway? I have alot of sleeping problems, maybe the circadic rhythem was different? I lost 0,5 cm on the stomach though (i gained a little on the upper legs, but i was trying two weeks of running and flexible for squats training, could add that a little). Best really would be scale, bf% measurment and circumstances of a few places, and always collect all data, and if you GAINED on all, check if you strength has increased^^

And having much to lose means, you can lose much per week without problem, helps for a good motivational start seeing it dropping ;).

Though, your goal setting is pretty good, and a right way to do it, scale etc. are tools nothing more. I like the idea of deadlifts and similar excercise but for me, im so unflexible, i`m still working at that, did improve the last fourteen days a little yeah. Wish you got look, and it is a fucking great feeling, when you can wear smaller cloth sizes, you`ll have FUN shopping and try things out, damn there was weeks i was 3-5 times out trying :)

Well, scale is accurate if you use it right. Weigh at the same time and conditions, and use a weighted average to track.

You mean same conditions each time you weigh yourself? Yeah, I'd agree with that. I use an app called Libra which uses trend values. Quite a nice little app to track weight. I agree with Kahuna that you should be doing more than just tracking weight though.

The key to working the scale is the weighted average. Looking at one data point as anything of significance is a fast track to madness: the same kind of denial that has climate cretins yelling "Global Cooling because 1998!" kicks in and it isn't helpful.

Mind you, the same applies to tracking lifts. I'm chart-addicted, and I have crappy days like everyone; without a nice average trendline or a sanguine eyeball, it's easy to take a crappy lifting week and be all "zomg getting WEAK must EAT P90X DVDs!"

We are our own mad scientists and our own labs. It's good science to do the averages thing. :)

Mind you, the same applies to tracking lifts. I'm chart-addicted, and I have crappy days like everyone; without a nice average trendline or a sanguine eyeball, it's easy to take a crappy lifting week and be all "zomg getting WEAK must EAT P90X DVDs!"

I hear ya! Also, hilarious post - made my day lol!

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Archived