Forums are back in action! ×

Walking to Mordor with the Group

Oogiem

I've done searching but my forum search fu is the shits today.

I was looking for some sort of thread to accompany the Walking to Mordor blog post here and couldn't find it so I'm posting one instead. :)

My first task is to go sign up on the google sheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtR3lM2UD4-9dE0xTnh5UC10anpRUGF4NEZJMXJwT1E#gid=0

Second is to find the pedometer we own or buy a new one.

Third is to measure my stride length to translate steps into miles.

So, I've got task number 1 done, am working on tasks 2 and 3.

How about you?

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Question: are you guys putting in all the distance you walk during a day, or only scheduled walks/runs?

I've no pedometer so I'm just doing my scheduled walks rather than the total I walk each day. Working it out on Loops on livestrong (about the only thing I use it for)

I need to get batteries for my pedometer. I actualy have 3 dead pedometers in the house, so hopefully the batteries will revive at least one of them.

Signed up on the spreadsheet. I was just counting my actual walks, not steps throughout the day.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Question: are you guys putting in all the distance you walk during a day, or only scheduled walks/runs?

I'm putting in most all I do. I'll probably take off a bit for inside the house stuff but I think walking up and down the pastures counts as a "scheduled" walk so I'm counting that even though it's a job for me. :)

And I found the pedometer and it's still functional so number 2 done.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

I do have a pedometer (love my Fitbit... yeeeah, I have a bit of a gadget addiction), but I think I'll only count walks and runs, since that'll get me motivated to get out of the house more. =)

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

And in place of number 3, or rather as an additional option, I found this cool program for my iPad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planimeter-measure-map-distance/id423492040?mt=8

While I got it to calculate area in the various pastures. I discovered it will also do total distance. I just put pins for the waypoints of my morning chores and then added them up and it's .89 miles! And I haven't done some stuff yet.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Maybe I'll keep up if I can figure out what became of my pedometer ... think I left it in my winter coat...

Anybody here use a pedometer app on their smartphone? Or their iPod?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

You have my sword!

Race:  Human        

Class: Ranger

Stats:  STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 | WIL 0

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." - JFK

I am in on this as well. I'm only counting additional walks I take. I am on my feet a lot of the day at work, but that's my normal day to day routine. Extra is better!!.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

If anyone in the US is looking for other walking venues or options, the American Volkssport Association (http://www.ava.org/) offers over 3,000 annual events, mostly walking (although you can run/jog them) in the 5k and 10k range, as well as bike and swim events.

Those overseas can contact the International Federation of Popular Sports (http://www.ivv-web.org/) to find their local/country clubs.

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

Hmm, I suppose I might as well join in on this.

I don't have a pedometer, so it'll mostly just be scheduled runs from me, plus any walking that's part of my daily routine and I can easily keep track of (0.04 mi from my apartment to the car, another 0.04 mi from my car to my desk at the office, that sort of thing). My iPhone already drinks battery like a marathon runner in the Sahara, so that'll have to do.

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Unmeekgeek, I have a Fitbit and I like it quite a bit! I don't quite love it as much as I thought I would, but that's because it's not as crazy versatile as I had thought. I don't like the way it syncs with myfitnesspal (which was one of the reasons I got it), so I turned that sync off. But I love it for its simplicity, its tiny size, it's wireless syncing, the fact that it has a charging station instead of batteries, and the fact that I have a log of my activity online. I did get mine for half off ($50, woot!), and I think I might have been a little bit bummed out had I paid $100. It really is just a pedometer. =)

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

Archived