Forums are back in action! ×

Has anyone else upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion?

scotticus

I just did, somewhat reluctantly. I'm generally against the iOSification of everything that Apple is moving towards, but there's one key feature that's really made it worth the upgrade - and that's video mirroring to any airplay enabled device. Very useful. Anyhow, I have to admit that there are a few other things that are looking pretty interesting, and Safari is noticeably faster. Still a bit bummed by the rampant skeuomorphism in the interface, as well as the deep twitter and Facebook integration (seriously!?!) though.

Just wondering if anyone else has made the jump and what they're thinking so far.

My Mac Mini is not longer on the "supported" list, but that's OK since I still have it on Snow Leopard for the purpose of a Media Center. I have a couple of hackintoshes. One is a netbook (atom proc) and can't run anything above Snow Leopard, and I plan on upgrading my other hackintosh to Mountain Lion in the next couple of weeks. I skipped Lion on that one, so it too is still running Snow Leopard.

I was one of the hopefuls that wanted Apple to release a 10.6.9 update with iCloud support, but I gave up on that idea awhile back.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I did right when it came out yesterday for my MBP. I didn't notice any significant differences between this and Lion which I was running. Then again, I don't have any other iOS devices [yet]. That'll change as soon as I get my iPad before the school year starts and the iPhone 5 whenever they decide to do that.

Wanna convince me to switch from chrome to safari? I've tried before, but I can't do it haha.

Kevin

Half-Satyr Adventurer, Level 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 4.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5

about me. | twitter. | dailymile.| fitocracy.

Challenge: 1. 2.

Wanna convince me to switch from chrome to safari? I've tried before, but I can't do it haha.

Nope, can't do it. And this is coming from one of the last hold outs on Safari. I love Safari (and the living on the edge Web Kit builds), but there are way too many conveniences with Chrome. I have it on my work (PC) computer, iPhone, my hackintosh netbook, hackintosh desktop, and Mac Mini. Everything is in sync, being able to open tabs on my work computer of tabs I left open at home, bookmarks all synced across everything. I simply cannot recommend going back to Safari, and trust me....I love Safari!

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

My Mac Mini is not longer on the "supported" list, but that's OK since I still have it on Snow Leopard for the purpose of a Media Center. I have a couple of hackintoshes. One is a netbook (atom proc) and can't run anything above Snow Leopard, and I plan on upgrading my other hackintosh to Mountain Lion in the next couple of weeks. I skipped Lion on that one, so it too is still running Snow Leopard.

I was one of the hopefuls that wanted Apple to release a 10.6.9 update with iCloud support, but I gave up on that idea awhile back.

How difficult is it to build a hackintosh these days? I built a desktop from the ground up back in the day when only very specific hardware work and a distro was usually needed. It worked pretty well. I understand things are easier now. I would really appreciate having a hackbook in my life...

How difficult is it to build a hackintosh these days? I built a desktop from the ground up back in the day when only very specific hardware work and a distro was usually needed. It worked pretty well. I understand things are easier now. I would really appreciate having a hackbook in my life...

Things are much easier these days than in the past. I attempted my first hackintosh back around '05-06 with my first successful one (better supported hardware this time) back in '08. Sometime in '09 I picked up an MSi Wind netbook for 2-300 bucks since I heard it was easy to make into hackbook, and sure enough, it was. I also have an HP Pavilion DV4 laptop that is running Snow Leopard, but due to it's graphic's chip, will never have hardware accelerated graphics which hinders it in big way.

Back in the day, you had to look for specific distros to make things work the right way, but more focus these days is to make an install as "vanilla" as possible. So many things are now being incorporated into the bootloaders (Chameleon bootloader more specifically) and into DSDT hacking (which I have just barely dabbled in myself). The items in the bootloaders and the DSDT hacking keeps you from having to use additional kexts to get certain things working (audio, video, etc), but even with that said, so many things are now supported out of the box.

Lifehacker keeps an always up to date hackintosh guide here: http://lifehacker.com/hackintosh/

And insanelymac.com's forums are great. Check out the notebook / netbook specific sections for making a hackbook: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php

Extremely easy. Built one last week. I now. Currently running an 11tb hackintosh (Mountain Lion) home server. Also updated my MBP to 10.8.

Icedtrip! Don't forget about the site that makes hackintosh building so easy.

www.tonymacx86.com (using a legal copy of Mac OS)

Extremely easy. Built one last week. I now. Currently running an 11tb hackintosh (Mountain Lion) home server. Also updated my MBP to 10.8.

Icedtrip! Don't forget about the site that makes hackintosh building so easy.

www.tonymacx86.com (using a legal copy of Mac OS)

Nice on the build!! I plan on getting my main rig running ML in the next couple weeks or so. I have a couple hurdles with mine because I wasn't thinking "hackintosh" specifically back when I built it many years ago, but it is such a solid machine.

3.0 Core 2 Duo (e8400 OC'ed to 3.6. Gotten it to 4.05, but not stable. blamed on mobo) - old chip, but super solid!

NVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB (initially, this held me back because it was the newer chip from the other 8800GTS's and the 512MB version made it even more different. Now, it runs great despite showing its age a bit)

2 300GB WD 10,000 RPM Velociraptors - Solid harddrives and have yet to jump over to SSDs for this build

4 or 6GB RAM (can't remember. I think I may have stole a couple gigs for another build :) )

and for the problem with this build...time to get geeky

ASUS P5N-D mobo - This is my main hangup on this machine. nForce based mobo is a bitch when it comes to hackintoshes, and had I known this back when I built it, I would have never chose this thing. It's pretty good for OC'ing, but not great. The problems this thing has. Requires additional kexts to support SATA, NIC, and audio. Audio I've never been too worried about since my Harmon/Kardon soundsticks are the original USB versions, so all's good there. The NIC's kext works fine for the most part, but would occasionally give me problems, so I went with a PCI NIC that is supported OOB. Recently I think I can now say that my problems weren't with the NIC, but my OC CPU. And the biggest problem of all, the damn SATA support on this thing. 2 original kexts exist from someone who left the scene many years ago. One supports >4GB RAM, but is broken for SATA DVD/CD/Bluray drives. The other works for the SATA optical drives, but kernel panics when any memory over 4GB is being addressed. He left behind the source code for the one supporting > 4GB RAM, but not for the other one. So the community has been able to rebuild the kext for 64 bit support etc for that > 4GB kext, but not the other. This can be all avoided simply by using a PCI SATA controller, but a pain nonetheless.

As for my storage needs, I have an unRAID server sitting in a closet with ~10TB of space that streams to all my machines.

And yes!! Of course tonymacx86.com! How did I forget that? What's funny is that I never go there directly, but am always eventually linked there for files, etc.

Nice on the build!! I plan on getting my main rig running ML in the next couple weeks or so. I have a couple hurdles with mine because I wasn't thinking "hackintosh" specifically back when I built it many years ago, but it is such a solid machine.

3.0 Core 2 Duo (e8400 OC'ed to 3.6. Gotten it to 4.05, but not stable. blamed on mobo) - old chip, but super solid!

NVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB (initially, this held me back because it was the newer chip from the other 8800GTS's and the 512MB version made it even more different. Now, it runs great despite showing its age a bit)

2 300GB WD 10,000 RPM Velociraptors - Solid harddrives and have yet to jump over to SSDs for this build

4 or 6GB RAM (can't remember. I think I may have stole a couple gigs for another build :) )

and for the problem with this build...time to get geeky

ASUS P5N-D mobo - This is my main hangup on this machine. nForce based mobo is a bitch when it comes to hackintoshes, and had I known this back when I built it, I would have never chose this thing. It's pretty good for OC'ing, but not great. The problems this thing has. Requires additional kexts to support SATA, NIC, and audio. Audio I've never been too worried about since my Harmon/Kardon soundsticks are the original USB versions, so all's good there. The NIC's kext works fine for the most part, but would occasionally give me problems, so I went with a PCI NIC that is supported OOB. Recently I think I can now say that my problems weren't with the NIC, but my OC CPU. And the biggest problem of all, the damn SATA support on this thing. 2 original kexts exist from someone who left the scene many years ago. One supports >4GB RAM, but is broken for SATA DVD/CD/Bluray drives. The other works for the SATA optical drives, but kernel panics when any memory over 4GB is being addressed. He left behind the source code for the one supporting > 4GB RAM, but not for the other one. So the community has been able to rebuild the kext for 64 bit support etc for that > 4GB kext, but not the other. This can be all avoided simply by using a PCI SATA controller, but a pain nonetheless.

As for my storage needs, I have an unRAID server sitting in a closet with ~10TB of space that streams to all my machines.

And yes!! Of course tonymacx86.com! How did I forget that? What's funny is that I never go there directly, but am always eventually linked there for files, etc.

This is exactly why I stick with vanilla builds. One update could ruin the whole machine. But still... Good luck dude!

I remember my build being very vanilla, because there just wasn't much hardware supported at the time (probably in the '08 range). I have a fairly new iMac, so there's no pressing need, but I'm thinking that putting together a beast machine down the road would be nice...

Also, that tonymac site is awesome. Wish something like that was around back in the day.

Archived