Forums are back in action! ×

Need help getting started...

Laney

Hey guys & gals... I'm sure there has been hundreds of threads like this, but I figure I'm a different person so I might as well start my own...

Basically: 5'6"/ F/ roughly 135-140 lbs (I threw away my scale when we found out it was 15 lbs off)

Goals: Want to look lean. I don't want to bulk up in any way, I just want to tone and lose my midsection.

We have a small amount of machinery at my apartment building (treadmills, bike, elliptical, a scary looking machine that I'm afraid of), and I have bands, weights, a few medicine balls, and the outdoors. I don't like running (because I'm bad at it) but I'm going to start with that.

I'm looking to do about a 30 minute workout in the morning, then possibly night depending on what I have planned. I'm afraid of being bored with the same crap, and I'm really not a fan of gyms. I like the interval training and the basic strength training, but I don't want to get burnt out doing the same 2 workouts all the time.

Any advice is appreciated <3

EDIT: Also, heart monitor watch, yes or no? And best one to get?

Level 3 Time Lord AdventurerChallenge Thread

| | Cosplay Blog | |

You should read Spezzy's story. Women are almost never going to "bulk up" without multi-hour bodybuilding routines and a good dose of steroids. "Toning" is another myth—muscles don't tone, they only grow or shrink. For most people, "tone" is the result of low body fat percentage (~15-20% for women) and a solid amount of muscle.

In terms of exercise, you should pick something you plan on enjoying. If you don't specifically want to go fast or far or pick up heavy things, your options are wide open. If you don't like running, don't do it. What do you have for weights? Barbell strength programs are great for losing weight and looking good (not to mention getting crazy strong). You can even get a full workout with just your own body. Read a couple of the free workout plans on the main NerdFitness site and see what appeals to you, then go do it!

No matter how much you exercise, you won't look any better if you're not eating right. Calculate your daily calorie expenditure (I like ) and eat accordingly. A 500 calorie deficit is a good starting point if you're trying to lose large amounts of fat, but less may be necessary if you're trying to change your body composition. Cut out the empty calories (sugars, baked goods, soda, etc) and focus on nutritious foods.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Hi Laney! You sound exactly like me a few months ago! =) I'm 5'6" and weighed 145 3 months ago (now 125). I thought I hated running, but then I got myself some Merrell minimalist running shoes, and now I love it. If you really hate it, I agree with Corbab: don't do it. But if you're giving it a shot, maybe read up on it and see if you're doing it right. (If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them. I'm not an expert by a long shot, just a new runner who's just done a lot of research. =)

I'm also wanting to look lean/toned. I lost all that weight, but Now I'm just thin with a squishy midsection. I also recommend Spezzy's story, it was a total eye-opener for me. I'm looking to start some strength training, I'm just now beginning to read up on where to start and such. And I started doing body weight workouts, and I love them. Sounds like something you might enjoy, since you can do a bunch of different things, and you can do them at home.

Good luck on your journey! I'll totally be your cheerleader, since we have such similar goals and backgrounds. =)

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

My advice is to not focus too much on the scale. I'm only 5'4 and about 140 and, although I'm not as lean as I could be, I am far from "squishy." In fact, I fit in the same pants that I have at much lighter weights because I have more muscle mass on me now than I have before. Again, Spezzy's story illustrates this. She gains weight while looking about the same pants size.

krj, That's where I wanna be! At this point I really want to gain some muscle weight (but I have a few pounds of fat to lose, too). I absolutely agree, the scale doesn't really mean much. Let's all get strong(er)!

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

You should read Spezzy's story. Women are almost never going to "bulk up" without multi-hour bodybuilding routines and a good dose of steroids. "Toning" is another myth—muscles don't tone, they only grow or shrink. For most people, "tone" is the result of low body fat percentage (~15-20% for women) and a solid amount of muscle.

In terms of exercise, you should pick something you plan on enjoying. If you don't specifically want to go fast or far or pick up heavy things, your options are wide open. If you don't like running, don't do it. What do you have for weights? Barbell strength programs are great for losing weight and looking good (not to mention getting crazy strong). You can even get a full workout with just your own body. Read a couple of the free workout plans on the main NerdFitness site and see what appeals to you, then go do it!

No matter how much you exercise, you won't look any better if you're not eating right. Calculate your daily calorie expenditure (I like this one) and eat accordingly. A 500 calorie deficit is a good starting point if you're trying to lose large amounts of fat, but less may be necessary if you're trying to change your body composition. Cut out the empty calories (sugars, baked goods, soda, etc) and focus on nutritious foods.

Spezzy's story is actually what got me on this site! I have only 5 and 10 lb weights and a heavy band, but that's good for starting. As to the calc- My BMR is about 1,400 kcal which I already knew (I sit for like 11 hours with my drive to work, working, and my drive home. UGH.) I already have a pretty good diet IMO, but there is no way I'm going to consume only 900 calories a day lol. I don't really eat sugars, I've never had a pop in my life and I rarely consume alcohol. I do my best to only eat carbs 1 meal of the day- how's that sound?

Hi Laney! You sound exactly like me a few months ago! =) I'm 5'6" and weighed 145 3 months ago (now 125). I thought I hated running, but then I got myself some Merrell minimalist running shoes, and now I love it. If you really hate it, I agree with Corbab: don't do it. But if you're giving it a shot, maybe read up on it and see if you're doing it right. (If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them. I'm not an expert by a long shot, just a new runner who's just done a lot of research. =)

I'm also wanting to look lean/toned. I lost all that weight, but Now I'm just thin with a squishy midsection. I also recommend Spezzy's story, it was a total eye-opener for me. I'm looking to start some strength training, I'm just now beginning to read up on where to start and such. And I started doing body weight workouts, and I love them. Sounds like something you might enjoy, since you can do a bunch of different things, and you can do them at home.

Good luck on your journey! I'll totally be your cheerleader, since we have such similar goals and backgrounds. =)

Haha I think I hate running cause I'm bad at it, but I'm going to look into those shoes- thanks! I printed the sheet for beginner body weight workouts and I'm going to do that tomorrow (I did an interval run this morning, didn't die!)

My advice is to not focus too much on the scale. I'm only 5'4 and about 140 and, although I'm not as lean as I could be, I am far from "squishy." In fact, I fit in the same pants that I have at much lighter weights because I have more muscle mass on me now than I have before. Again, Spezzy's story illustrates this. She gains weight while looking about the same pants size.

Currently I don't have a scale so luckly I can't obsess over numbers, I want one that tracks my BMI though, is that a good idea?

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Spezzy's story is actually what got me on this site! I have only 5 and 10 lb weights and a heavy band, but that's good for starting. As to the calc- My BMR is about 1,400 kcal which I already knew (I sit for like 11 hours with my drive to work, working, and my drive home. UGH.) I already have a pretty good diet IMO, but there is no way I'm going to consume only 900 calories a day lol. I don't really eat sugars, I've never had a pop in my life and I rarely consume alcohol. I do my best to only eat carbs 1 meal of the day- how's that sound?

Did you include exercise time in your calculation? You're right that 900 calories is plain too low—eat your 1400 and exercise, the body recomposition will happen. You won't be losing a pound per week, but you don't need to be. Even with minimal fat loss, you'll start looking better once you put some muscle on. Sounds like your diet is pretty solid as it is. If you're not getting results, you can start tweaking things to improve your progress, but just starting the exercise is a good first step.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Did you include exercise time in your calculation? You're right that 900 calories is plain too low—eat your 1400 and exercise, the body recomposition will happen. You won't be losing a pound per week, but you don't need to be. Even with minimal fat loss, you'll start looking better once you put some muscle on. Sounds like your diet is pretty solid as it is. If you're not getting results, you can start tweaking things to improve your progress, but just starting the exercise is a good first step.

Yeah I don't need to lose a pound per week to be happy, just as long as I feel better about myself. I did add exercise to the calculator but I don't think that changes the BMR number

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Okay, I have some more questions.

1- how do I join a guild? Do I have to post there or can I just decide.

2- where are the stats coming from (DEX, STAM, etc)... That's really throwing me off

3- creepy toe shoes vs minimalist shoes- thoughts?

4- best heart rate monitor?

5- tips for proper running form, I think I'm a heel smasher... Never mind, I found this...

EDIT: thought of another one... 6- Difference between Paleo and Atkins?

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Okay, I have some more questions.

1- how do I join a guild? Do I have to post there or can I just decide.

2- where are the stats coming from (DEX, STAM, etc)... That's really throwing me off

3- creepy toe shoes vs minimalist shoes- thoughts?

4- best heart rate monitor?

5- tips for proper running form, I think I'm a heel smasher... Never mind, I found this...

1 & 2 - Check out the FAQ here > http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/content.php?133-Challenge-FAQ . It should answer both of these questions, but the short answer is, decide which one you want to join, hop in and introduce yourself and letting everyone know your goals, etc. The current 6 week challenge is almost over and another one will start pretty soon after.

3 & 5 - I'm not a runner, so I'll leave this to someone else. However, finding the answer to #5 will certainly help with the minimalist running. I tried running half a mile in my vibrams once and had sore ass calves for 3 days straight. Again, I'm not a runner, so it was just to test out how to properly run. I too was a heel smasher.

4 - Don't use one myself, so I'll leave this to someone else too.

The key to all of this is simply find something you love. I started with wanting to lose weight and I hit cardio pretty heavy sometime last year, but I hated every single step of it. I decided to try lifting and fell in love with it. Had I not tried lifting, I would have eventually given up yet again, not have lost 30-40lbs, and would not be gaining in strength and feeling better about myself each and every day.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

1 & 2 - Check out the FAQ here > http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/content.php?133-Challenge-FAQ . It should answer both of these questions, but the short answer is, decide which one you want to join, hop in and introduce yourself and letting everyone know your goals, etc. The current 6 week challenge is almost over and another one will start pretty soon after.

3 & 5 - I'm not a runner, so I'll leave this to someone else. However, finding the answer to #5 will certainly help with the minimalist running. I tried running half a mile in my vibrams once and had sore ass calves for 3 days straight. Again, I'm not a runner, so it was just to test out how to properly run. I too was a heel smasher.

4 - Don't use one myself, so I'll leave this to someone else too.

The key to all of this is simply find something you love. I started with wanting to lose weight and I hit cardio pretty heavy sometime last year, but I hated every single step of it. I decided to try lifting and fell in love with it. Had I not tried lifting, I would have eventually given up yet again, not have lost 30-40lbs, and would not be gaining in strength and feeling better about myself each and every day.

Awesomeeee, thank you! I missed the stats part of the FAQ. Thanks for the tip against cardio- In all sincerity that's really good to know and very motivating. I do like weights (I really enjoyed the weights part of p90x) but I'm not ready to commit to a gym so I'm going to try the body weight workouts and the big scary machine in the apartment gym.

| | Cosplay Blog | |

As I understand it, Atkins is low-carb to force Ketosis. Doing this long term can be unhealthy.

Paleo is no processed carbs (i.e. grain) but not really low-carb, just lower than what were used to. Also, no/little dairy since a good number of adults have issues processing it.

As I understand it, Atkins is low-carb to force Ketosis. Doing this long term can be unhealthy.

Paleo is no processed carbs (i.e. grain) but not really low-carb, just lower than what were used to. Also, no/little dairy since a good number of adults have issues processing it.

I guess I'm still confused *derpy*, I thought Paleo was to avoid all grains, sweets and legumes, which would leave only nuts and fruits as carbs.

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Awesomeeee, thank you! I missed the stats part of the FAQ. Thanks for the tip against cardio- In all sincerity that's really good to know and very motivating. I do like weights (I really enjoyed the weights part of p90x) but I'm not ready to commit to a gym so I'm going to try the body weight workouts and the big scary machine in the apartment gym.

Of course, for cardio, I will totally suggest HIIT (high-intensity interval training) for a couple reasons. First, I hate running because I get bored just running for 30+ minutes. HIIT makes the cardio go by quickly and it allows me to mix things up. Second, long distance style running is great for building endurance and super lean muscle whereas HIIT better supports my goals by building strong, powerful, big muscles. Think sprinters vs. marathoners. Even with this suggestion, please note, as a female you won't ever "bulk up" unless you are actively pursuing it in a big way. It just doesn't happen that way. I hate when people recommend to women, "do this, not that....you'll get bulky". Uhh....no you won't. :)

As for Paleo vs Atkins....good question and I'll leave that one too for someone else. I tend to like my pasta, breads, cereals, beer, liquor, etc, etc to much for me to go the Paleo lifestyle. But I'll say this, most people here treat Paleo as a lifestyle choice (much like vegetarians and vegans) rather than a diet, whereas I don't believe I have ever seen Atkins referred to as a lifestyle, rather always associated with dieting.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I'm not sure about legumes, but you're right with the no grains or sugar. Both are processed, and processed = bad. You also have potatoes and some veggies as carb sources. Then again, I tend to confuse Paleo and Primal all the time (Primal basically being "could you find it in a hunter/gatherer society? If yes, it's good to eat.")

Of course, for cardio, I will totally suggest HIIT (high-intensity interval training) for a couple reasons. First, I hate running because I get bored just running for 30+ minutes. HIIT makes the cardio go by quickly and it allows me to mix things up. Second, long distance style running is great for building endurance and super lean muscle whereas HIIT better supports my goals by building strong, powerful, big muscles. Think sprinters vs. marathoners. Even with this suggestion, please note, as a female you won't ever "bulk up" unless you are actively pursuing it in a big way. It just doesn't happen that way. I hate when people recommend to women, "do this, not that....you'll get bulky". Uhh....no you won't. :)

As for Paleo vs Atkins....good question and I'll leave that one too for someone else. I tend to like my pasta, breads, cereals, beer, liquor, etc, etc to much for me to go the Paleo lifestyle. But I'll say this, most people here treat Paleo as a lifestyle choice (much like vegetarians and vegans) rather than a diet, whereas I don't believe I have ever seen Atkins referred to as a lifestyle, rather always associated with dieting.

Too bad it's so easy for men to gain muscle mass, huh? Haha. Is interval training and HIIT the same thing? I'm tried an interval run this morning and it went pretty well :)

Atkins promotes sugar alcohols and soy too, which I'm assuming are pretty big no-nos on paleo.

I'm not sure about legumes, but you're right with the no grains or sugar. Both are processed, and processed = bad. You also have potatoes and some veggies as carb sources. Then again, I tend to confuse Paleo and Primal all the time (Primal basically being "could you find it in a hunter/gatherer society? If yes, it's good to eat.")

Primal seems a lot easier haha. I've always assumed wheat flower/brown rice/etc, were really not that bad.

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Archived