Forums are back in action! ×

"The Hobbit" is now gonna be THREE movies?

Raincloak

Yes, really, I just read this in the news.

Reactions?

p.s. Having seen some of the new British "Sherlock" series, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Holmes and Watson dressed up as a dragon and a hobbit... that's just begging for some fan to dub it hilariously if you ask me.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I like it. He is not just going to be focusing on the events of the Hobbit here. Essentially, if I read it correctly, he plans to delve into some of the sub plots that were happening in the film, thanks to the "extended works" of tolkien and his family. Essentially, we will be diving into gandalfs adventures with the necromancer, and various things like that. Stuff that happened in the books, but were not really talked about, merely mentioned. I of course will get all three in bluray the day they come out :)

all aboard the merchandising train...

but seriously, if like jcannon suggests splitting the film into 3 means they explore plotlines not from the actual hobbit story, then it could be kinda cool? not sure though, do we really need three more films about walking?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

looks like he's trying to repeat the success of LOTR. it's all about the money

I was going to say, money money money! but looks like someone has beat me to it

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I saw an article about this but hadn't read it. It's been a long while since I read the Hobbit but I can't remember it being long enough to justify three films. If they do choose to explore some of the other goings on that could be really interesting but it still feels like three films could just dilute it too much. It's like the decision that's been made to make the final book of the Hunger Games trilogy into two films, having just read them all the third was definitely my least favourite and honestly I just didn't think enough happened in it to justify two films. I'm gonna have to go have a little read about it I think before I completely make up my mind.

Guest Snake McClain

I'm seriously hoping this is because it NEEDS to be three movies and not just so they can milk the fans for more money. That aside....I have no interest in the hobbit. I know i'll get lynched for it but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me.

For my part, I was all set for two movies, I thought they must be adding some new material cause the book isn't that long ... but okay, more to enjoy. I liked the trip to Middle-Earth in the "Lord of the Rings" films, even the extended versions. If nine hours in a magical foreign kingdom is fun, twelve was maybe even a little better...

Buuuut. Three movies? Out of a children's book? Okay, so maybe they just want to get as much film in as possible now they've got all the actors, costumes, and equipment lined up. But c'mon.

I'm prepared for it to be awesome, but my hopes are starting to slip.

Ye$, it'$ the money.

Why are Legolas and Galadriel appearing in the Hobbit? They're not in the book.

It'd be great to build in some more back story, as JCannon says, but I'm also wary.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Inconceivable!

Does anyone ever read that word without hearing it in their head like it was said in Princess Bride?

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

If this were any other director or film series, I would be saying that they're simply dragging it out for the profit. But since it's Jackson and Middle-Earth, it's a whole 'nother story. He's not just going to be making a film out of the material in The Hobbit. He's going to be adding stuff from the appendices that pertain to the story in The Hobbit - stuff that was added quite a bit after The Hobbit was originally published. He's also adding in a new female minor character, since The Hobbit is basically a total sausage-fest.

Tor has a fantastic article on their site about 5 possible things that may be included with a third film. Personally, I'm really hoping that Gandalf vs. The Necromancer/Sauron and The Story of Gandalf will be included (how he and Bilbo first met and his origin as a Maiar).

The game starts now.

You can say it's about the money. What it's actually about is how western culture has become so fixated on the three act play we inherently dislike anything that deviates from it. Duologies are considered awkward. Five act plays are called long and boring. Even the seven act mythic journey is consistently mashed down into three acts.

You can say it's about the money. What it's actually about is how western culture has become so fixated on the three act play we inherently dislike anything that deviates from it. Duologies are considered awkward. Five act plays are called long and boring. Even the seven act mythic journey is consistently mashed down into three acts.

I'm not sure about that, and I'm not sure the mythic journey is properly supposed to be 7 acts (what are you basing that on? If I recall right, Joseph Campbell's version was something along the lines of 12 chapters, and he's not the only person who came up with one).

I thought "Hobbit" would've made perfect sense in two parts: one to get started, visit Rivendell, get kidnapped by goblins and escape, meet Gollum, meet Beorn, and get captured by the elves. Next movie they escape the elves, go to the Lonely Mountain, meet the dragon, do the siege, have the battle of the Five Armies, and come home. That would've made sense. I dunno how they're gonna stretch it to three movies.

However, if they are going to do some other stuff, well ... I'd watch Gandalf rescue Thorin's father (or whoever it was) from Dol Guldur. Anything involving wizards and Dark Lords has to try pretty hard NOT to be awesome in my book.

And they're not coming out back to back, they're going to make us wait 3 and a half friggin' years. Because fantasy epics sell best in the winter holiday season, so it's 1 year between films and the first one comes out this November, assuming they finally manage to finish production that soon. Sigh.

I'm not sure about that, and I'm not sure the mythic journey is properly supposed to be 7 acts (what are you basing that on? If I recall right, Joseph Campbell's version was something along the lines of 12 chapters, and he's not the only person who came up with one).

I thought "Hobbit" would've made perfect sense in two parts: one to get started, visit Rivendell, get kidnapped by goblins and escape, meet Gollum, meet Beorn, and get captured by the elves. Next movie they escape the elves, go to the Lonely Mountain, meet the dragon, do the siege, have the battle of the Five Armies, and come home. That would've made sense. I dunno how they're gonna stretch it to three movies.

However, if they are going to do some other stuff, well ... I'd watch Gandalf rescue Thorin's father (or whoever it was) from Dol Guldur. Anything involving wizards and Dark Lords has to try pretty hard NOT to be awesome in my book.

And they're not coming out back to back, they're going to make us wait 3 and a half friggin' years. Because fantasy epics sell best in the winter holiday season, so it's 1 year between films and the first one comes out this November, assuming they finally manage to finish production that soon. Sigh.

I see it really easily. They are not going to do 2 "get caughts" in one movie. What they'll do is:

-Get started, visit Rivendell (remember they have to encounter the trolls enroute), get kidnapped by goblins, meet Gollum and get the ring, and escape. Make it clear that the Necromancer (not yet revealed as Sauron) knows the ring has exchanged hands. this may be too much for the first, but I can't imagine them not doing the ring in the first movie.

-Meet Beorn, and get captured by & the escape the elves, pad it with Gandalf and the necromancer and how all that goes down

-Go to the Lonely Mountain, meet the dragon, do the siege, have the battle of the Five Armies, and come home. There's also the battle of the river town and the slaying of the dragon as well as the puzzle solving to get into the mountain. There's plenty to do here.

Maybe in the first one go over how Bilbo and Gandalf met. They'll also need more build up to the lonely mountain in number 3.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Does anyone ever read that word without hearing it in their head like it was said in Princess Bride?

Always!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Gandalf and Bilbo officially met when gandalf knocked on Bilbo's door and asked him to go on the adventure. Gandalf knew of bilbo long before that, as he was watching bilbo for ages, and was sending tooks and brandybucks on the occasional adventure (thus he built a reputation among hobitts as a trouble maker) but when gandalf knocked on Bilbo's door that was the first time. Based on the trailer, we already know that happens in the movies.

Archived