Forums are back in action! ×

Fellow Rebel Kettlebellers?

Elastigirl

Do any rebels use kettlebells for their workout? I bought some a few months ago and have done a few exercises. Mostly I do carries and swings. I want to learn the turkish get up next, then maybe overhead press. What about other rebels? What exercises do you use? What sites do you like? Do you kb's as a supplement to exercises or as your main workout?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I use kettlebells as an assistance workout.

I am moving onto the 5/3/1 programme for the next challenge which I intend doing on a 2-day split and then on Friday's I do the kettlebell workout.

I recently upgraded to the 24kg bell.

Doing swings (2-hand, single hand and transfers) - on an HIIT method. I start with a ladder from 10 swings, increasing by 2 each time up to 20 and then as many sets of 20 swings as I can. Each set starts at one minute - basically works out to a 1:1 work:rest ratio.

Then I do TGUs - I don't normally count these but rather do them for 5-10 minutes

Then snatches (with the 16kg or 20kg bell). These are awesome. I am working my way up - currently doing 3x10 each arm.

I bought the book by Pavel (Enter the Kettlebell I think it is called) and used that to learn how to do the exercises.

I find the kettlebell an incredible cardio workout and it is a brilliant assistance exercise for me. (Not to mention how much fun it is)

My wife just uses the kettlebell to do swings 3 days a week and does no other exercise. Coupled with an improved diet, she has lost just over 20kg in 6 months!

So, I highly recommend a kettlebell - and it works either as a stand-alone or in combination with other exercises.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

I use kettlebells for my workouts for about 4 years now. Though I didn't use them as much as I maybe should lately.

They are HELL. The devil invented them, sent it to the russians and they thought "meh, let's punish the world". If it's not exhausting you're doing it wrong or using a pussy amount of weight. Doing 30 the armed swings? Do 10 one armed swings each arm. You'll see what I mean with hell...

I don't soley use them to do swings and such. I often grab them with a foot and do pull ups with a 16 Kg KB.

I strongly recommend the book by Pavel, The Russian Kettlebell Challenge. It's kinda funny for some people and contains basic form and lots of great hints to fitness in general. If you like Pavel's style I would buy "The naked Warrior" which is not a homosexual version of Sparta but half body weight bible and fitness theory that is VERY convincing, bashing bodybuilders and gym machine users.

I have two baby-weight kettlebells but I haven't done anything with them other than use them as barbells for back rows and stiff-legged deadlifts. I really want to, though, because they are awesome.

I've been thinking about investing in Enter the Kettlebell, but does anyone know any good DVDs or YouTube videos that demonstrate form? All I have is the DVD that came with my 10-pounder, which is by Bob the Biggest Loser trainer. I like Bob well enough, but I'm not sure I trust him to teach me how to sling big chunks of metal around in the air without damaging anything, you know?

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

I'm a program hopper, sometimes I use them as my main training tool and sometimes as a conditioning supplement.

I do:

Swings and their variations

Racked squats

One-legged deadlifts, rarely 'cause they're awkward for my inflexible body

Rows, when I get another KB I'll start doing renegade rows

Floor presses, you need to balance out all of the posterior chain work.

Cleans

Clean & Press/ Push presses/ overhead presses

High pulls

They hurt my shoulder or I'd also do:

Snatches, instead of high pulls

Turkish get ups

Halos, these really work the core. Figure 8s work the core similarly, but I've never worked them into my routine.

I never got the hang of:

windmills, probably due to inflexibility.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Germaine: Love it -The devil invented them, sent it to the russians and they thought "meh, let's punish the world" And you grab the kb with your foot and do a pullup?! How does one do that??? Thanks for the Pavel book recommendation

Bean:Fun ideas for a workout and yeah, I see how your wife would lose weight doing swings-they are intense!

Dragonlyre: love the idea of using a rock. I have a rock I use to lift heavy or carry. Not sure if I could get enough grip on it to do a swing though.

Sloth: tons of great ideas for exercises. thanks

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've been thinking about investing in Enter the Kettlebell, but does anyone know any good DVDs or YouTube videos that demonstrate form? All I have is the DVD that came with my 10-pounder, which is by Bob the Biggest Loser trainer. I like Bob well enough, but I'm not sure I trust him to teach me how to sling big chunks of metal around in the air without damaging anything, you know?

has some of the best demo videos out there. He is RKC certified and breaks down the movements really well. I used these videos a lot when starting out.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I've got a few kettlebells that I use as a supplement to my bodyweight stuff. I normally use them for swings, clean and press, floor press, windmills, weighted squats (pistol, goblet, hack), and I'll grab one of my lighter ones to hold onto while doing a Russian twist. I do swings a little differently than most here, apparently. I'll swing for time. Once I can do a minute w/ both hands, minute each hand, and back to a minute with both hands, I step up the weight. I ended up buying The Complete Guide to Kettlebell Lifting, and will start pulling stuff from it as soon as it comes in.

And you grab the kb with your foot and do a pullup?! How does one do that???

I imagine it's done like this (other knee up is optional)

2177413581_e4fd9d667c.jpg

I've got a few kettlebells that I use as a supplement to my bodyweight stuff. I normally use them for swings, clean and press, floor press, windmills, weighted squats (pistol, goblet, hack), and I'll grab one of my lighter ones to hold onto while doing a Russian twist. I do swings a little differently than most here, apparently. I'll swing for time. Once I can do a minute w/ both hands, minute each hand, and back to a minute with both hands, I step up the weight. I ended up buying The Complete Guide to Kettlebell Lifting, and will start pulling stuff from it as soon as it comes in.

Interesting. Never thought of that. Not that I'm doing it anytime soon, I'm still working on regular push ups. But still pretty cool

I imagine it's done like this (other knee up is optional)

2177413581_e4fd9d667c.jpg

Interesting. Never thought of that. Not that I'm doing it anytime soon, I'm still working on regular push ups. But still pretty cool

has some of the best demo videos out there. He is RKC certified and breaks down the movements really well. I used these videos a lot when starting out.

Wow, he has a ton. Those are really helpful. Thanks! Boresville, I'll check out those too - thanks for the links.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

If you like Pavel's style I would buy "The naked Warrior" which is not a homosexual version of Sparta but half body weight bible and fitness theory that is VERY convincing, bashing bodybuilders and gym machine users.

I've read this and thought it was a great book, got it from my college's library. Bet they loved that I was asking if my "naked warrior" came in yet. Haha

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Yeah, "Enter the kettlebell" is a great book!

But before i got it i took a one-weekend kettlebell class and after i liked that quite much i ordered myself a 12 and 16kg (26/35lbs) kettlebell. Thinking about ordering 20/24kg (44/53lbs) though..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

I give a second nod to Steve Cotter I am certified through his IKFF and really enjoyed learning and using Kettlebells. If you are not aware Steve is also a very accomplished martial artist we were both on the US team for World Koushu and fought together in Tiawan. Watch his video of the Jumping Pistol Squat on Youtube it is incredible.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

There is as usual a lot of in fighting in these organizations especially as they grow and more money is involved. If you like Steve get certified by him personally RKC would just be one of Pavel's students. There are a few other certs out there where the guy who is head of the organization runs the certification. I think Mike Mahler is doing his own now. I would be more leery of something like Kettbell Concepts made specifically for the mass market.

I think KBs are great for workouts, but I learned to hate them with a passion while in the police academy last year. That's all we did practically for workouts was KB stuff. as a result, my bench press weight (one of the things we were tracked on through the academy) actually dropped. Anyway, I haven't used them since the academy but might go back to using them as the gym I go to got some rubberized ones. (only goes up to 30# though).

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

I give a second nod to Steve Cotter I am certified through his IKFF and really enjoyed learning and using Kettlebells. If you are not aware Steve is also a very accomplished martial artist we were both on the US team for World Koushu and fought together in Tiawan. Watch his video of the Jumping Pistol Squat on Youtube it is incredible.

I watched the video. How in the world does he even do that?!!! Wow, that guys must have some strong quads

Elastigirl he has very powerful quads indeed built like a brick wall and not a big man much smaller than me.

KI4 Kettlebells don't really have a good substitute for the Bench Press you can bench Press KB's but it is not really the same. I am not a big proponent of the Bench Press for practical application anyway in your job being able to push someone is more full body then just upper body recruitment with a stable surface along the spine. I would hope you didn't have to push someone if you were against a wall and unable to use your legs.

Archived