Forums are back in action! ×

soreness in thighs during/day after squats

laurencesmith

i am currently on vacation and have been doing bodyweight excercises . last week i did 4 sets of 25 bodyweight squats and the day after my thigh musscles were so sore i was practically bed ridden . today i resumed my workout schedule after falling off the wagon and my thighs hurt for the first 2 squats of every set . i did another 4 sets of 25 btw. is anyone else experiencing this or has experienced it in the past ? i never had thigh problems in the past so do you think i injured something that one day ? i would really appreciate the help thanks guys

Is it soreness or actual PAIN? I can get pretty sore from squats, and will have a heck of a time getting up and down my stairs, but it certainly a different feeling form when I have injured a muscle. Since you're doing just body weight, the only thing I can think is if you're going all the way down, you may have overstretched a muscle by goi8ng down farther than it was ready for.

I think it's just soreness. You did 100 squats and your quads probably aren't used to it. I once did 5 sets of 100 (which was a huge mistake) and I also could not walk down the stairs. I found walking down stairs backwards makes the pain a little more tolerable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

This is just DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), it happens to pretty much everyone at first when your muscles aren't used to an action, or an increase in volume. Stretching out can help ease the soreness, if you have access to a foam roller or somesuch that can help too. It's OK to exercise durring this soreness, but use your judgement. It will lessen and lessen in the coming weeks and then you won't get it at all.

If you change up the volume drastically you'll still get "the DOMS". This happened to me on the weekend when instead of doing 3x5 on bench, I did 3x12 DB presses, and flyes. My chest ached for the next todays, and even today it's still a little tight. It can be fun sometimes to awaken the DOMS deamon :D

Agreed. I love being sore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

One thing that helps is if I go on a walk soon after I work out. Even if its just a 10 minute walk, if I walk I have less pain. Unless I decide to do 100 squats in 1 set for a challenge, and then I get DOMS and whining ensues.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I love the DOMS, makes me feel like I'm doing something well. The only muscle pain that really gets to me is in my calves. 95% of the time I feel almost nothing, but every once in a while I overdo it and extreme aches set in the following day, especially if I have to walk around campus. I would let your quads rest a few days and then get back at it. The soreness is always the most intense when you're first starting out (if you're doing it right).

Archived