Forums are back in action! ×

Just got my first pair of Vibram FiveFingers KSO's!

Thanks for the link. That is a great video and definitely agree with you about the details and the amount of time and the work necessary to get to that point. Frankly more then I have, so no problem with climbing shoes. Though would have liked to see actual closeups on his feet. Sorry to hear about the lack of supply, my salesman had to dig to find the ones that fit me.

Also that is a really nice kettlebell lift you have going on in your pic.

...Sorry to hear about the lack of supply, my salesman had to dig to find the ones that fit me.

Also that is a really nice kettlebell lift you have going on in your pic.

I got my Sprints TODAY! *does a little dance* And thanks for the compliment on the pic. Funny thing, that... it's a windmill position, however in the photo shoot I'm standing in the middle of train tracks on a railroad tie in four inch heeled boots. With a 16kilo kb. I promise I actually have really good form when I'm not forced up onto the forefoot and having to brace a hand on my other knee to maintain my balance.... *wicked grin* I was doing pictures and happened to have my bell in the back of the van and the photographer says "Hey, my husband loves those things. Drag one out!" and the idiot that I am said "Sure! I'll just ignore the HEELS and the fact that I usually do my KB work barefoot..........."

.... okay, so I might have a little issue with my impulse filter. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I didn't actually hurt myself or anything. *beams innocently*

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

Congrats on finally getting your Sprints. Be sure to take it easy with them and resist, resist the urge to over do it.

You're welcome and you should actually post the full picture, it sounds very... unique.

You're the fourth person to tell me that in the last 12 hours. =) I am NOT a runner - this morning I managed half a klick around an indoor track before doing an hour's worth of balance work for my morning workout. A good friend of mine Facebooked me with "Now don't go trying to run 5km with them the first time! I did and boy did I pay for it." ........ My response was "I wouldn't go try to run 5km with SNEAKERS on!" Working on my endurance is on my spring list when I can get outside. I refuse to either hamster wheel it (treadmill) or greyhound track it (indoor little circle) for an hour at a time. I'd go mental.

It makes people look at you funny and laugh alot when you start messing around with the foot placement. I ran half a circuit like a gazelle all bounding and stuff, I did half a click with high knees like a trotting pony adding that kick out at the top... My best friend was nearly in tears, which was the total purpose of the entire exercise beyond trying to figure out how my feet wanted to hit the ground as I shifted my weight. I can't wait to get my PFT diploma and start actually teaching. I'm going to play for a living and it's going to be AWESOME. After staring at my toes for an hour she might go get a pair. *beams*

You're the fourth person to tell me that in the last 12 hours. =) I am NOT a runner - this morning I managed half a klick around an indoor track before doing an hour's worth of balance work for my morning workout. A good friend of mine Facebooked me with "Now don't go trying to run 5km with them the first time! I did and boy did I pay for it." ........ My response was "I wouldn't go try to run 5km with SNEAKERS on!" Working on my endurance is on my spring list when I can get outside. I refuse to either hamster wheel it (treadmill) or greyhound track it (indoor little circle) for an hour at a time. I'd go mental.

It makes people look at you funny and laugh alot when you start messing around with the foot placement. I ran half a circuit like a gazelle all bounding and stuff, I did half a click with high knees like a trotting pony adding that kick out at the top... My best friend was nearly in tears, which was the total purpose of the entire exercise beyond trying to figure out how my feet wanted to hit the ground as I shifted my weight. I can't wait to get my PFT diploma and start actually teaching. I'm going to play for a living and it's going to be AWESOME. After staring at my toes for an hour she might go get a pair. *beams*

Sorry for being redundant then. :D

I wasn't a runner either until I got these and I am now slowly changing that by only running in my KSO's. It feels so good, and so easy to go fast and just have fun with it. Though stopping in them is taking some practice. I found that changing of stride interesting and it does take some getting used to for sure. I am a big fan of letting my own body do what it wants to in situations like these. It knows how it should work better then I do, so I just get out and stay out of my own way. As long as it doesn't hurt and stays that way it is all good.

Sorry for being redundant then. :D

I like redundant when it comes to warnings to stay safe!! I really do appreciate the warning. *grins* It just makes me giggle how many people obviously went a little too far the first time and are going out of their way to try to warn me. My feet are tired from just doing the four laps I did this morning. Oddly enough, the change in strides to animal type movements was a helluva lot of fun and it was really cool to see how my feet reacted to the change in dynamics. It was actually easier to transition from the different energy output movements in the vibrams compared to finding the balance/pressure point in a pair of regular NB sneakers. If I wasn't already making the YMCA trainers nervous with my slightly unconventional running on their nice track I'd have attempted rabbit or bear walking just to see. I'll do that at the dojo next week when I have access. I love bear walking... though I do a very bouncy Yogi Bear type of a waddling movement that is surprisingly efficient. If you hop foot to foot with the stiff leg instead of trying to drag it forward you cover more distance. AND you get that big bear butt waddle happening, which is half the fun. *wicked grin* I just need a theme song.... Maybe "Bring in the Clowns"?

I just got my first pair last weekend! They're the Bikila kind, so more designed for running I think? I've been taking it very slow - ran less than a mile my first day with them. Also wore them to kickboxing, which was a blast! I felt like I had so much more balance! The only downside so far is that my big toe doesn't quite fit right and I'm worries about blistering... hopefully it'll just callus over though. I can't wait until the snow melts and I can run outside with them!

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

I just got my first pair last weekend! They're the Bikila kind, so more designed for running I think? I've been taking it very slow - ran less than a mile my first day with them. Also wore them to kickboxing, which was a blast! I felt like I had so much more balance! The only downside so far is that my big toe doesn't quite fit right and I'm worries about blistering... hopefully it'll just callus over though. I can't wait until the snow melts and I can run outside with them!

Lucky! I want my next pair to be the bikilas.

I had the same issue as you about the potential blister.. I gave my feet a couple days off to 'heal' and when I tried running on them again I didn't have the same issue, so I think i'm good.. :)

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

I just got my Sprints last weekend! They're glorious. <3

I'd like to take a moment to argue for them on the climbing wall. Yes, climbing shoes are designed to allow for leverage of the strength of your entire leg on a small point, and they're very good at that. However, I find that having the freedom to shape my foot to the foothold gives what I feel is a more secure grip. It could be partly mental, but I feel more secure being able to feel exactly where the wall and the footholds are than I do with my foot all cramped up and no real feel for the wall's shape and location.

I just got my Sprints last weekend! They're glorious. <3

I'd like to take a moment to argue for them on the climbing wall. Yes, climbing shoes are designed to allow for leverage of the strength of your entire leg on a small point, and they're very good at that. However, I find that having the freedom to shape my foot to the foothold gives what I feel is a more secure grip. It could be partly mental, but I feel more secure being able to feel exactly where the wall and the footholds are than I do with my foot all cramped up and no real feel for the wall's shape and location.

Interesting point. Especially if you consider that you could have your foot sideways on the foothold rather then relying entirely on the toes/small point factor.

Anyone out there that wants to try a pair of five fingers? I have a pair of Wibram Fivefingers Classic, I like the FiveFingers but the classic model is not comfortable to me, hence I'm giving my pair away. If you're a man or woman with a foot size around EU 41/42 (25-26 cm~) just give me a shout and you'll have them by postal in no time. You can check this page for what the classic model is and for a sizing chart, how to estimate foot size, (bottom of page). I have only used mine a couple of times.

Please be honest and not ask for them if you don't have a matching size or just because it's free, I have hopes the NF community is a little better than that. ;)

Interesting point. Especially if you consider that you could have your foot sideways on the foothold rather then relying entirely on the toes/small point factor.

Which is my preference even in climbing shoes, honestly. It's more intuitive for me. You even have the option of just bracing your toes and the balls of your feet against the wall itself, with or without a foothold to help keep it there.

If no one else wants that extra pair, I'd love to take it. These Sprints are for indoor use only, since Alaskan gyms require a separate pair of shoes. I'm planning to get another pair when the snow melts. I'd definitely rather someone else take you up on that, though -- spreading the love FTW. :D For people less familiar with EU sizes, I wear a size 42 VFF, and typically wear around a 10 in mens US sizes, 11 in womens.

Joshua, how about an update on how you like this shoes now that you've had them a couple of months. I tried on a pair of KSO's at an REI store recently, but could not step up and buy them (I had that whole want vs. need conversation with myself...hate it when that happens). Anyway, I'm thinking I may reward myself with a pair if I hit the 28-Day Challenge Goal this month. Curious to know how you've been enjoying them. I will mostly use them for running (I think).

My first time running in my Vibrams I just did a 5-minute jog around the block--and I was walking with a two-legged limp for a week.

Not long after I stopped exercising altogether, and only just started up again about 10 weeks ago. After working up to 2-3 miles on a treadmill I finally tried running on a regular track in the vibrams. My time was great, but now that it's the next day my calves are killing me!

I just got my fivefinger KSOs and they are pretty awesome...I can't wait for my feet to start looking like normal feet! Some of my toes are misshapen from years stuffed inside a silly shoe. And my feet constantly are in pain. I'm hoping these shoes will help me with that. I know to work up to running and what not. I'm just wearing them around the house...and maybe to the store when I do my weekly shopping. Since I received them I haven't put on a regular pair of shoes...I'm kind of scared to! haha.

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. "- Muhammad Ali