Forums are back in action! ×

Help please! Start MWOD #1 on a slope or flat & holding on?

Blueberries

My first goal of this challenge is to be able to do MWOD #1 (a.k.a. the 10 minute squat). I can get into the squat position if I'm on a slope, and I can get into the position on a flat surface if I'm holding onto something for balance. I have to hold on with a LOT of force, or I topple right over. Short of doing one of those two things, I absolutely cannot get my heels on the ground.

It has been suggested that I work on ankle/Achilles mobility, which I will be doing, but my question for now is how do I start working on the actual squat? Is it better to practice staying in it on a slope or on the flat surface, even though I'm having to hold on? Any other body parts I should focus on mobilizing?

By the end of 6 weeks, I'd like to be able to rest in the position on a flat surface without holding onto anything for support, for at least 5 minutes. This goal is kind of feeling like a pipe dream right now.

Subbed. I, too, am incapable of a Grok Squat without clutching onto something, and anything I've found online mostly says, "just squat down lulz." And then they list various parts of my legs that are supposedly too tight, from ankles to calves to glutes to things that I don't think are even part of my legs and they're just taunting me.

I hope we've got some Grok Squatters here who can impart their wisdom.

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

I had difficulty with this a couple years ago. I did the Convict Conditioning progression for BW squats and after a couple months I was able to do close squats which is squatting with your heels together. 3 months later I was doing pistols. Yeah things are going to be tight because there are a lot of muscles in the ass to grass squat that aren't worked unless you squat AtG.

I would suggest doing squats AtG daily while holding onto a table or some other suitable apparatus. Then when you feel comfortable try to do it without support.

Ok, srsly did not need so much of dude's crotch in the shot....yuck!

Does he have leopard print tattooed on his arm????

I can do this squat without falling, but I've never tried to go 10min. Must try later!

Oh, and when I do this, AtG, My butt pretty much touches my ankles and there's no space between my thighs and calves....Is that right? I always want to think I'm doing something wrong if it seems easy at first!!!

Ok, srsly did not need so much of dude's crotch in the shot....yuck!

Does he have leopard print tattooed on his arm????

I can do this squat without falling, but I've never tried to go 10min. Must try later!

Oh, and when I do this, AtG, My butt pretty much touches my ankles and there's no space between my thighs and calves....Is that right? I always want to think I'm doing something wrong if it seems easy at first!!!

Okay, now you're just showing off. :P

And yeah, bro's got some pretty bro-some ink, nah? That man has some great skills to impart, but sometimes I just have to shake my head.

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

Archived