Forums are back in action! ×

The First Level

Hey everyone, my name is Drew.

I'm 6' 2'' and 241lbs. From about the time I was 10 on, I've been embarrassed to take my shirt off in public. Some time in my early twenties, I stopped wearing t-shirts, and now I almost exclusively wear polos, mostly because I feel like they fit better on me. Now in my late twenties, my weight has fluctuated between 225 and 270lbs. The one thing remaining constant is that I've always had fat.

My ideal goal weight is about 225lbs, because I feel like that's an appropriate frame to put muscle on. However, when I was 225, I was doing exclusively cardio, and I never saw a difference in my level of fat (aside from waistline reduction). I weighted myself back in June 2012, and it came out at 260. I felt like since I still had the rest of summer ahead of me, I thought maybe I'd try losing weight again.

I own a Pro-Form elliptical machine, and I began using it for distance. I started out at 10 minutes, and have worked my way up to a 60 minute best, with a minimum of 30 minutes per session once a day. Towards the end of July, I noticed I had lost about 17lbs, but I got stuck. Two weeks in a row my weight loss was 0.7lbs. I felt like it was time for a change. I started doing some weight training (I have a copy of P90 (not X)), and have lost 2.4lbs in about a week and a half. However, I'm noticing things are starting to get stale. Not that I mind working out persay, but the types of workouts I am doing are becoming mundane.

I scoured the internet for new and interesting ways to work out, and discovered Nerd Fitness. At first, I thought it was just a community of nerds trying to get into shape, and I'd fit right in. I then discovered you all have some really awesome programs that you have put together. Needless to say, I'm hooked. However, as I am still a novice, I have a bit of questions. First, I will lay out my goals, then ask my questions.

Goals:

#1 Be able to go out in public with my shirt off (pool, water park, springs, etc)

-Finish my Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do (Stopped at Brown (2nd Gup)) in 2006 due to pulling my hamstring in 3 places, moved, and never picked it back up.

-Get better control of my sleep habits, and my diet in relationship to my exercises.

Accomplishing those three things will allow me to feel more confident about myself, my life, and my longevity. Now on to the questions.

1) I'm going to assume that if I want in on the Challenge, I'll need to start out as an adventurer right? I know this isn't so much a question as it is a confirmation, but everything is new and I just wanted to confirm.

2) Another stupidish question, but questions related to my goals go in the particular class forum right? I mean if I start the program, should I direct future questions there?

3) Actually, if three is yes, then I will withhold future questions for there. Otherwise, I was curious about the character sheets, if I have starting stats, and how that all works.

Thank you all for your time and responses, and I hope to carve out a niche here and really enjoy myself.

-Drew

1) You can start out in whatever class you want. It really is just a targeted support sub forum for you specific goals i.e. Weight lifting, body weight stuff, running, yoga etc...

2) You can post your questions in whatever sub forum you feel like it belongs, and will best be answered in. (asking yoga poses in the warrior form probably isn't the best place)

3) Pick your stats, but I believe you start with 15 total of your choosing (+ a potential of 15 more based on your challenge)

Check out this post for this challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/

Archived