Forums are back in action! ×

GoRuck Challenge - Anyone ever done one?

cline

I love that this thread was started. I stumbled across the GORUCK site a few months back and I'm booked for my first one in March 2013 in Santa Monica Ca. However none of my friends will commit as they say it looks "f'in insane". Regardless, I'm doing it with or without them. Have yet to receive my Ruck, but once I do I will start training.

Knightwatch, could you speak a little bit about what you wore and what you packed. I assume you had a camelback, but I'm concerned about clothing. Being that I live in LA I guarantee I will be getting in the ocean, and wonder if I should wear quick-dry compression gear? Also, how far out do you recommend starting training for the GORUCK?

ps: totally down for a NF GORUCK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

So I had never heard of this until today so thanks now I have something else I want to try!!! And I would without a doubt 100% be into doing a NF meet up for one of these. Though with how spread out people are travel will be needed for some. That being said I would definitely travel to do one i think!

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

KW, I would so be down for an NF GORUCK. There is one down in Texas in Feb I was thinking of doing. My conditioning needs to be a bit better than where I am now, but I think it'd be fun.

I'm doing one by me in Feb as well, if you decide to do it keep me informed because we can be goruck training buddies lol, at least over the internet.

I'm with Scooter, I'd like to know a little more about clothing, although since I'm East coast and it will be February, it will no doubt be cold. the Polar bear plunge I did on Feb 26th last year the tep was about 40 and the water was 45.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

i've been thinking of doing one. *looks at cline*

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

oh oh oh.... am kind of excited. Hmmmm.... must think about recruiting at least one friend...

Do a lot of women do it?

I was told going in that the girls in the group tend to be the glue.

My experience totally confirmed it.

Yep, women do it. My team had...six. And they were the seriously a big part of our team's soul.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Knightwatch, could you speak a little bit about what you wore and what you packed. I assume you had a camelback, but I'm concerned about clothing. Being that I live in LA I guarantee I will be getting in the ocean, and wonder if I should wear quick-dry compression gear? Also, how far out do you recommend starting training for the GORUCK?

I wore board shorts with cargo pockets, with compression shorts beneath. You definitely want the compression shorts. And under the compression shorts, Body Glide. Lots of Body Glide (or a similar type product). Trust me on this. :P

Up top I wore a compression shirt with a normal tee shirt over it, mostly because, hey, I hate the way compression shirts look. (remember the rules of Special Forces, and thus, GoRuck: (1) Always look cool (2) Never get lost (3) If you get lost, look cool. ;) )

Seriously though, a compression shirt is a good idea, because again, you'll have your ruck on for 12+ hours. Sometimes while wet. Sometimes while jogging. Sometimes with a log ripping up your shoulders at the same time. Sometimes while doing PT. Sometimes while bounding. Chance for shoulder chafing runs very high. It'll only add to the discomfort. But a compression style shirt will all but take care of at least that part.

You'll get a packing list ahead of time, once you sign up for the Challenge. I took way more energy gels and such than I ended up using, but you never know when someone else will be running low. You'll also want electrolyte tabs for your water; dehydration is a definite threat. I packed an extra pair of socks in a small LocSak style bag, but didn't end up using them. With them were a dozen Advil. Those were used. I used a hydration bladder, but didn't use the actual "hydration compartment" in the pack. To be honest, I just don't like the way they feel right against my back. So I packed my ruck to have my (wrapped) bricks against my back, with the bladder on the outside of those, held in place by rigging it to the interior MOLLE.

Something else I will always remember from this point on? A replacement mouthpiece for the bladder. At some point when we were first trying to figure out the log, mine ripped off the end of the drinking tube. This was about 3 hours in. Result? I couldn't use the hydration bladder for the remainder of the Challenge. I was dependent on 24 hour convenience stores, grabbing little 20 oz bottles here and there, or carrying a gallon jug. Decidedly un-ideal. This actually resulted in pretty bad dehydration by the end of the Challenge (it's a never a good sign when you've stopped sweating and started shivering in 80 degree weather and can't run straight). BRING AN EXTRA HYDRATION NOZZLE!

:D

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I'd do the AC one but have no interest doing it in the coldest part of the year. When's the next Philly one?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'd do the AC one but have no interest doing it in the coldest part of the year. When's the next Philly one?

Aww, but the cold is fun and helps you keep your core temp down so no sweating hehe. I've done enough nature survival type stuff to know cold+sweat= very bad, so I doubt I'll be looking like an Eskimo for the challenge.

Anyway so far on this thread I see 3-4 people close enough to me to do a future goruck with. I think we should all try to do one In the future! Wearing our NF armor of course.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

I wore board shorts with cargo pockets, with compression shorts beneath. You definitely want the compression shorts. And under the compression shorts, Body Glide. Lots of Body Glide (or a similar type product). Trust me on this. :P

Up top I wore a compression shirt with a normal tee shirt over it, mostly because, hey, I hate the way compression shirts look. (remember the rules of Special Forces, and thus, GoRuck: (1) Always look cool (2) Never get lost (3) If you get lost, look cool. ;) )

Seriously though, a compression shirt is a good idea, because again, you'll have your ruck on for 12+ hours. Sometimes while wet. Sometimes while jogging. Sometimes with a log ripping up your shoulders at the same time. Sometimes while doing PT. Sometimes while bounding. Chance for shoulder chafing runs very high. It'll only add to the discomfort. But a compression style shirt will all but take care of at least that part.

You'll get a packing list ahead of time, once you sign up for the Challenge. I took way more energy gels and such than I ended up using, but you never know when someone else will be running low. You'll also want electrolyte tabs for your water; dehydration is a definite threat. I packed an extra pair of socks in a small LocSak style bag, but didn't end up using them. With them were a dozen Advil. Those were used. I used a hydration bladder, but didn't use the actual "hydration compartment" in the pack. To be honest, I just don't like the way they feel right against my back. So I packed my ruck to have my (wrapped) bricks against my back, with the bladder on the outside of those, held in place by rigging it to the interior MOLLE.

Something else I will always remember from this point on? A replacement mouthpiece for the bladder. At some point when we were first trying to figure out the log, mine ripped off the end of the drinking tube. This was about 3 hours in. Result? I couldn't use the hydration bladder for the remainder of the Challenge. I was dependent on 24 hour convenience stores, grabbing little 20 oz bottles here and there, or carrying a gallon jug. Decidedly un-ideal. This actually resulted in pretty bad dehydration by the end of the Challenge (it's a never a good sign when you've stopped sweating and started shivering in 80 degree weather and can't run straight). BRING AN EXTRA HYDRATION NOZZLE!

:D

Thanks for this. I had game planned on what to bring, but getting those little extra's from someone who has done it before is so clutch. I never would have thought about body glide so I'm psyched you gave me the heads up.

My major concern for this challenge is that I am plagued w/ awful shin splints, and I'm worried that it could really screw me over once we get into the thick of it. Running is a major issue, and I don't do much of it. If tried pushing through them and stopping running altogether but they always seem to linger. Being that I've heard there isn't alot of actual running due the the fact that you are carrying so much, do you thing shin splints will be an issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

This looks like something worth investing time into. I know I'm new here but I can tell you scooter that in my experience with ruck marches and I have had a few in my time, shin splints aren't really a major concern. The biggest the problem a lot of guys including me had was blisters and tearing up our lower backs due to our packs rubbing. So long as you strengthen your lower back and toughen your feet up the only the problem you'll have is mentally making yourself go and then keep going.

"Having strength is one thing little brother, knowing how to use it is something else."

- Ken-Oh -

This looks like something worth investing time into. I know I'm new here but I can tell you scooter that in my experience with ruck marches and I have had a few in my time, shin splints aren't really a major concern. The biggest the problem a lot of guys including me had was blisters and tearing up our lower backs due to our packs rubbing. So long as you strengthen your lower back and toughen your feet up the only the problem you'll have is mentally making yourself go and then keep going.

strengthen those feet by barefoot running! lol.. I plan on doing this in my vibrams(I haven't worn a regular sneaker in months, and don't plan to ever again), since I doubt they'd let me do it pure barefoot.. I have boots but from the videos I see everyone has low sneakers, not boots, so my vibrams should be more then enough.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The best way I found to strengthen feet is to put boots on and just go walking for miles at a time. If you have rough terrain that works even better but everyone is different. Running will definitely help but like someone said earlier you need to learn how to prevent blisters or take care of them if you get them. I've never developed blisters in running shoes only in my boots, my other advice if no one brought it up is to bring extra socks and some foot poweder to take care of moisture on your feet that way you have less chance of getting blisters. Past that, like I said everyone's feet are different.

"Having strength is one thing little brother, knowing how to use it is something else."

- Ken-Oh -

Will do. Being that you've done a few before is there any sort of smart work around to blisters? I'm assuming it depends on what shoe you're wearing, so should i make sure to train in the shoes that i plan on using? Right know I was going to use crappy Nike running shoes (crappy in that they're very cushiony and encourage heel striking), because I didn't want to ruin my crossfit shoes (New Balance Minimus). Should I go with my crossfit shoes at the expense of potentially destroying them during this challenge? They were pretty pricey.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a question about the extra socks.. specifically about getting wet.. if your going into the surf, or whatever water there is, in your shoes.. what good do dry socks do with wet shoes? or am I missing something?

I never thought about the foot powder and the astro.. rrr I mean body glide lol.. I will make sure to have those with me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is personal preference but I suggest making sure the shoes you are going to do it in have been broken in. I used to Switch out my foot wear each march so I wouldn't wear them down to much but again it's all personal preference. As for blisters if you get them pop them and then cover them up with something. You can also get what's called moleskin and apply it to the hot spots on your feet and it will help prevent blisters but I don't remember how expensive it is. Beyond that bring extra socks and foot powder and that helps take the risk of developing them way down. Hope that helps you out.

- Ken-Oh -

I have a question about the extra socks.. specifically about getting wet.. if your going into the surf, or whatever water there is, in your shoes.. what good do dry socks do with wet shoes? or am I missing something?

I never thought about the foot powder and the astro.. rrr I mean body glide lol.. I will make sure to have those with me.

This is a civilian thing but in the military we were always required to carry an extra pair of boots with us on road marches or field exercises. That way we could change up our footwear if we needed to and that way if my boots got wet I would change them. It's a good point though it does nothing for you if you don't have an extra pair of shoes with you. I had them just because I remember no greater torment than walking long distances in wet boots.

- Ken-Oh -

This is a civilian thing but in the military we were always required to carry an extra pair of boots with us on road marches or field exercises. That way we could change up our footwear if we needed to and that way if my boots got wet I would change them. It's a good point though it does nothing for you if you don't have an extra pair of shoes with you. I had them just because I remember no greater torment than walking long distances in wet boots.

ah! a man who speaks from experience hehe. Thank you for the explanation. I wonder if people actually do bring an extra pair of shoes on these... might be something to take into consideration.

I had actually decided I would take a pair of sneakers with me in case the cadre gave me any problems using the vibrams.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All the videos I've seen there's at least one woman in each group

My group on Facebook only shows 3 people doing it on the day I signed up, hopefully more will do it. If AC gets cancelled maybe I'll do the Philly with you.

I'm excited to forge new friends in the experience, as I never have any friends who do this sort of stuff and I'm looking for some. I'm the only one I know who does stuff like mud runs an etc.

I'm "down the shore" a few times a year and often fit in beach workouts and there's an easy trail I run. Not the same, but still fun. You'd be welcome to join us. We're doing SUP this time around.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

i've been thinking of doing one. *looks at cline*

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. In NYC they go by the World Trade Center site. Philly is a short train ride away! GoRucking Nerd women......

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

March

I AM going the distance

Will do. Being that you've done a few before is there any sort of smart work around to blisters? I'm assuming it depends on what shoe you're wearing, so should i make sure to train in the shoes that i plan on using? Right know I was going to use crappy Nike running shoes (crappy in that they're very cushiony and encourage heel striking), because I didn't want to ruin my crossfit shoes (New Balance Minimus). Should I go with my crossfit shoes at the expense of potentially destroying them during this challenge? They were pretty pricey.

I'm training for something else right now that includes more running than I'd ever do by choice. Yes, I train in the shoes I'll be wearing for the event - I don't want to risk hot spots in shoes I normally wear for a different purpose (e.g. my regular fitness shoes are not what I run in). Also, I do really well with blister blockers in known trouble areas (but warning - they don't come off well) and really well with toe socks. Body glide or a/d ointment in potential areas. Years of hiking in shoes that no matter what I do, create blisters has helped me get to this point.

I AM going the distance

Archived