Forums are back in action! ×

An observation

khenning

Recently I started CrossFit. Some of my friends and family have politely inquired about it and I'm happy to share the info. If they ask how much it costs per month I tell them and I'm often met with some sort of shock and maybe a comment about how that's crazy expensive. Well it just dawned on me the other day how sad that is. I know many people, including myself, that spend $120-$150 a month for cable tv and internet. No one blinks an eye at that! So it's okay to drop a ton of money on something that will cause me to just plant my backside in a couch, but when I invest that much money in something that will help me make myself healthier and fitter it's not okay? Just thought I'd share that observation. Feel free to share your thoughts and comments.

I completely agree. Well put.

Bar tabs, too. Though admittedly, I'm guilting of paying for a high one of those and for crossfit, but I'm just sayin'... :P

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I totally agree. I get flack for spending $50/month on a gym membership, and another $250 for five sessions with a personal trainer (which lasts me about 4-5 months, because I'm away for work 2 weeks at a stretch) but they don't bat an eye at all of their frivolous spending, which isn't benefitting them like mine is.

Basically what it comes down to is that you just have to remember that other peoples opinion doesn't matter. I have to live with me before I have to live with others, so why should their opinions hold more power over me than my own?

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

If they ask how much it costs per month I tell them and I'm often met with some sort of shock and maybe a comment about how that's crazy expensive.

I don't think that's unique to Crossfit (or gym/fitness spending in general), I think that's just one of those comments that everyone makes regarding any hobby that they don't share ("You spend HOW MUCH on concerts/theatre tickets/guitars/dolls/comics/antiques/duck decoys/shoes/cars/etc! You're crazy!").

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

I think most of us don't realize any of it until someone points it out. Now that you mention it, the concept applies to a lot of other things. The first time my family and friends saw my VFFs, they scoffed at the price and the whole idea. I guess it's true that most people will think otherwise if they don't share the same sentiment as you.

Do or do not, there is no try.

Both prices are ridiculous, frankly.

This. I don't mean to belittle crossfitters saying this, but crossfit is a fad. And because of it, their gyms get away with ridiculous prices. I love the idea of crossfit, and I like the results many people get. But you can get all the equipment of a crossfit gym for $20 a month basic gym membership (I pay 40 for 24/7 access and unlimited yoga classes). If it weren't so damn popular, it wouldn't be so damn expensive.

That said, I agree with you completely. It's funny how people find it wasteful to spend a lot of money for something beneficial rather than something you don't need and literally does you know good unless you only watch sci channel and PBS (Because lets face it, History channel is garbage now, and discovery and national geographic are headed that way too.)

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

I think it's dumb to pay for either cable TV or Crossfit, since both entertainment and exercise are free for the taking. But what do I know.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I once had a co-worker blow his mind over what I paid for my car and insurance per month (600 a month note plus 200 a month in insurance and gas for a 2009 Mustang GT).

He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the 800 dollar a month cost to drive a car that I absolutely loved was totally worth it to me. I got 800 a month or more out of the sheer enjoyment and pleasure of driving that car.

It comes down to if you feel your money is being well spent. My wife had no qualms about it because she knew how much I loved driving it and that we could afford it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I think it's dumb to pay for either cable TV or Crossfit, since both entertainment and exercise are free for the taking. But what do I know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who balks at paying for either fitness or TV. That being said, I'm sure I probably have things I spend amounts of money on that would be shocking to others. Maybe...eating out?

Maybe...eating out?

Naw. I spend a RIDICULOUS amount of money when I go to sushi bars or places like red lobster (which isn't even that nice of a place, I just love crab legs and lobster tail.)

2009 Mustang GT

You are now my favorite person. This is what I've wanted since I was 13.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

@Razor

It was a 2009 Mustang GT California Special. She met her untimely end one really rainy night when I hydroplaned and ended up totallying her. I miss Gwynn.

When i get done in Afghanistan, I will be looking at something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=221110777775&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I'm glad I'm not the only one who balks at paying for either fitness or TV. That being said, I'm sure I probably have things I spend amounts of money on that would be shocking to others. Maybe...eating out?

I'm the same - well sort of. I don't see the point of paying for fitness unless its's for safety reasons, ie unsafe to workout outside or you want your form checked by someone who knows what their on about. I also don't see the point of paying for tv. My weakness is Pokemon, I'm happy to spend money on Pokemon.

For the most part, I think it comes down to what they think is important or worth spending their money on. Your health/fitness might be important to you, but that won't make it important to anyone else. Just like cable is important to other people, it might not be important to you

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Everyone has different ways they spend their money.

The way people spend their money is just an extension of themselves.

People who like cars tend to spend money on cars, and same goes for videogames. I spend way too much on videogames.

Buying a Nintendo 3DS for a single game, for example.

I'm with shortstuff. I only pay for TV for safety reasons. Because the alternative is me climbing the pole outside and splicing wires, and that's not safe.

That said, cross fit is expensive. And it's the very weak argument I make for not doing it.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I'm with shortstuff. I only pay for TV for safety reasons. Because the alternative is me climbing the pole outside and splicing wires, and that's not safe.

Honestly, I wouldnt even pay for tv than,

Maybe I shouldn't have put tv right before the point about safety.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

@msuroo

But... but... don't you want to be judgmental like everyone else? :P

(In all seriousness, I agree. Even if I did care, it is well beyond me to claim a position where I have any room to talk. About anything, really. I've got far too much improvement to do to care how others live their life in a way that does not affect mine in any significant way.)

Race: Human

Class: Warrior

CAUTION: I am quite prone to random, strange ideas I feel the need to express. You are free to act upon them as you wish. The best option is probably simply ignoring them and just working with what I say that actually has any merit of some kind. Hopefully fair warning.

When talking about gym memberships with people the fallacy is equating paying for access to equipment to well planned and instructed group training. Some people pay $10/month to watch the news on a treadmill while others pay three times the average CF rate for personal training. To each their own but when discussing it with people it is a distinction that should be made. Some people see the value in paying $150/month for something in between (group training).

Imagine you're choosing a school for your kid. One option only gives your kid access to the library and no planned curriculum or instruction. The other option includes curriculum and classroom instruction. Yeah, one is going to cost more. It's also probably going to be worth it.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Archived