Forums are back in action! ×

Book recommendations?

Ghost

So many great ideas.

Now, to cap off the list I'll need some good reads on fitness and diet.

Most people would recommend Starting Strength but I do bodyweight workouts, I also want to get more in depth with Paleo/Primal.

Thanks for all the ides guys!

So many great ideas.

Most people would recommend Starting Strength but I do bodyweight workouts, I also want to get more in depth with Paleo/Primal.

If you are looking for a good read on Paleo/Primal I will recommend It Starts with Food. I don't know if there is an ebook for it but its a good and overly informative read.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Get thee over to Baen E-Books too, lots of good SF there, some free some paid for all for Kindle and other e-reaers and apps.

http://www.baenebooks.com/default.aspx

Lots of old classics and lots of good new stuff too. For new SF try the series by Eric Flint and John Scalzi.

For an absolutely great mystery get Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (OK I'm biased, the sheep flock are the detectives, led by Miss Maple :-) ) Her second book is out now but still in German only, can't wait for the English translation.

Sign up for the Amazon Kindle Daily Deal, gets you a daily e-mail which has books usually avail for 99 cent to $1.99.

And watch the freebies, especially first books of series often are free if you watch for them. Lots of old historical books are free, I've found tons of interesting stuff on Amazon by doing a search by price lowest to highest. Just watch out for the crappy romance novels and other odd boos that lurk in there.

Start your kindle wish list now.

Oh and as your wish list grows, often books become "unavailable" on it. Don't worry, it's often just a new version. Periodically go scrub the list with the new versions.

FWIW my kindle wish list is over 400 books so far and I've got about 150 on my kindle.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

PS go check out the what are you reading thread. Nearly everything on my list is a kindle book and I'm at book number 72 finished so far this year right now. I'll be updating my list with what I finished in August next week.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I just got "The Art Of Expressing The Human Body" and "The Tao Of Jeet Kune Do" both by Bruce Lee, I think they may be up your alley. I've also heard a bunch of people talking about "Overcoming Gravity". And I thoroughly enjoyed "The Four Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide To Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex, And Becoming Superhuman" by Tim Ferriss, there was tons of useful insight in there and i found it very motivating and very well laid out. And I liked the title.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

So many great ideas.

Check out "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline. It mainly focuses on 1-arm pushups and pistols, but has a good bit of good general fitness information in it too. It also introduces the Grease the Groove plan that works wonders for improving any exercise.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Okay, final request, I swear.

I'm interested in Computer Science and Programming, also Game Design. Any help?

Man, I'm going to be so book focused for the rest of the year.

I won't bother you all any more, I promise.

EDIT: Ooh, and if anyone has any recommendations for learning French that would be appreciated.

Definite final, I swear (again). I'm just really eager to learn :D

There's apps to teach languages, at least the basics. As for programming, have you looked into "The Complete Idiots Guide To..." books? I'd imagine they'd give you a really solid base to start from. Maybe for languages as well.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Okay, final request, I swear.

I'm interested in Computer Science and Programming, also Game Design. Any help?

Man, I'm going to be so book focused for the rest of the year.

I won't bother you all any more, I promise.

EDIT: Ooh, and if anyone has any recommendations for learning French that would be appreciated.

Definite final, I swear (again). I'm just really eager to learn :D

Here's a great starting point for programming - http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/

It's got everything you need!

Wheel of Time if you can commit to it. Song of Ice and Fire series. Brandon Saanderson anything he writes but Warbreaker is my fav. If your into non-fiction analyticals try The Black Swan....crazy or if you like mystery/horror ish try House of Leaves

All your base are belong to us...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

Archived