Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

So what I'm hearing is the Men-only thread is the "Jerky-hetero-bro-type safe space" thread?

*shrug* I'm just glad that the NF Community has tolerance for both of us. 

• Like 1

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

Oh, if only I could sig that...

why can't you?

Dicks are pretty great, but they're not for everyone. Like grapefruit.

yup :)

/insertjoke:cremefilling:/endjoke::rimshot::

hahahaha :D

Sounds fun. Going to have to check that out.

well mmmmmk, have fun with that.

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Jerky-hetero-bro-type safe space

I don't want to comment on the ongoing nature of the mens thread, mostly because im not a man and that thing is like 10000* pages long. It's just disappointing to come back to NF and click through topics and see stuff like that. 

*may be hyperbole

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Uhh ok? Are you talking about the homophobia and transphobia in the men only thread? Or is there something in the what women love about men thread im missing?

I think he's saying it exists there as well.

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Then isnt it even more pertinent to be calling this stuff out? It seems like even in these designated threads ive seen dudes come in and try derail or diminish the issue (see the yesallwomen thread).

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I dunno, I mean I definitely see your reasoning, but if we have a safe space, then keeping it safe should be #1 and if thats happening, isn't it wrong to not allow others to express their opinions even if we disagree, then just choose not to associate with them? Not letting them feel free to express their bigotry is just as bad as us being discriminated against, so for us to limit their freedoms for the sake of our own comfort is just as bad, in my opinion. I just choose to dissociate myself with people who feel that way, and show them that not every LGBTQA person fits their perceptions by my words and actions, so that they will walk away saying "I know she didnt agree with me and I dont approve of her lifestyle, but she is still a good/funny/kind etc. person" and then next time they think some disparaging thought against someones lifestyle, they might remember me and realize its wrong...whereas just calling people out and attacking them and telling them they are wrong, just makes us look mean and denfensive and like we are in the wrong. The black Panthers took that route during the Civil Rights Era in the US and Dr. King took the opposite approach, and look who got results? I understand that motivation, and it would make me feel better temporarily to do that, but it wont change minds or hearts, and thats what we need to change the way we are treated.

• Like 6

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I dunno, I mean I definitely see your reasoning, but if we have a safe space, then keeping it safe should be #1 and if thats happening, isn't it wrong to not allow others to express their opinions even if we disagree, then just choose not to associate with them? Not letting them feel free to express their bigotry is just as bad as us being discriminated against, so for us to limit their freedoms for the sake of our own comfort is just as bad, in my opinion. I just choose to dissociate myself with people who feel that way, and show them that not every LGBTQA person fits their perceptions by my words and actions, so that they will walk away saying "I know she didnt agree with me and I dont approve of her lifestyle, but she is still a good/funny/kind etc. person" and then next time they think some disparaging thought against someones lifestyle, they might remember me and realize its wrong...whereas just calling people out and attacking them and telling them they are wrong, just makes us look mean and denfensive and like we are in the wrong. The black Panthers took that route during the Civil Rights Era in the US and Dr. King took the opposite approach, and look who got results? I understand that motivation, and it would make me feel better temporarily to do that, but it wont change minds or hearts, and thats what we need to change the way we are treated.

Counterpoint: maybe instead of going there and demanding it be shut down, we could do something else. Posting a reply that humanizes us..

Something like "Hey, just so you know I am a Gay person so when you say things that are degrading to Gay folks you are posting something that degrades me: another a Nerd Fitness rebel. "

And leave it there. Now they aren't posting about the nameless faceless "them." They are posting about you...

They are posting

• Like 4

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

I just think that in forums as this, there are provided threads for everyone. I am not a man so why would I go I to the men only thread and start chastising those having an opinion in their own safe place?

We all had an uncomfortable experience not that many pages ago with someone who probably didn't belong here, he eventually got the idea that this thread was not open to debate, same can be said for the #yesallwomen thread, the interloper got the idea! Does that mean we do the same to them?

If we want to open a debate let's start a new thread just for that purpose, so we may keep this place just for our own, our safe place, non negotiable.

I cannot change anyone's mind, just as they cannot change mine, so I stay out of their thread. Yet I do agree with Bekah and ColoQ. Both with very good points.

Wait! What............?