Forums are back in action! ×

Protein question

Lefeux

So I have looked back at Sparkpeople.com and was tracking my protein to see where i am at.

I am averaging about 50g of protein a day. Is this enough? (especially considering I lift 2-3 days a week?) I have heard that I should be aiming for 1-2g per lb of body weight?

Because my food options are limited (Army chow hall and you never know what you will get) should I look into a Paleo approved whey? (something like http://www.allproscience.com/complete-100-grass-fed-whey-protein.html)

I know that I could turn to nuts and such but the calorie intake vs protien return on them are low (170ish calories for 7-8g of protein) vs the above protein shake (130 calories 28g protien)

Thoughts or suggestions?

I am trying to lose weight but also add some muscle mass. Lossing the fat is important but I don't want to lose the lean muscle either.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Definitely not enough. Aim for at least 1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass a day and it should be enough for your needs unless you are trying to bulk like a body builder rather than get stronger.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thats what I was afraid of. With my limited food selection (and against Robb Wolfs suggestions) I guess I will have to look at getting a protein powder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I drink a quart of whole milk with 2 scoops of whey post workout. The milk has 32g and the whey 52g, so that gives me a lot right there. I know Seth and Spezzy both use it as well, but they mix it in water since they don't need the calorie boost.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Wolf will tell you to do whatever you have to whilst deployed. This included supplementing protein. I'm not a fan of the expensive "paleo" powders but I use a pretty much as natural as you're going to find anywhere egg white based protein that's cheap and tastes fine. It also has the sweetest label in the biz.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Hey... I drink milk sometimes. Depends on where I am in my cycle and how much ice cream I've eaten that week.

Is this in reference to your multivitamin?

500 / 330 / 625

Thats what I was afraid of. With my limited food selection (and against Robb Wolfs suggestions) I guess I will have to look at getting a protein powder.

Yea, but you have to remember, Robb's suggestions are not for people eating Army food in Afghanistan they are for people who have easy access to a store. Fact is you have to make do with what you have. I agree Whey is probably the best option

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Is this in reference to your multivitamin?

Exactly what I thought... we sure are learning a bit about Seth.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Robb talks about eating 5-6 eggs for breakfast. At 5g per egg that's 25-30g at the jumbo size 8g that's 40-48g in a meal. So I going to go with your doing wrong. Get a powder and eat more protein in general.

For breakfast today, I had 3 eggs scrambled with chopped ham and bell pepper, two hard boiled egg sans yolk, 6 slices of bacon, and 4 pieces of turkey sausage. I made sure that I had protein in the nutrients that were being tracked. Ended up with 81 grams of protein for breakfast but with 850 calories. Which isn't too bad as long as I stay at that or under it for lunch. Lunch is the problem meal where I have plenty of veggies but protein can be hit or miss. Will be looking to deli meats I think. Also ordered Vitol Egg White Protein off of Amazon. Should be here in about two weeks. I will continue to monitor my protein intake.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Archived