Forums are back in action! ×

Where/when do you work out?

I'm curious, do you all go to a gym or work at home? Morning or night?

I'm not a morning person and I absolutely hate working out around people (even if they're just in the house). Can't really explain that one, I guess I just don't like people knowing that I'm doing it, and I'm finding it to be hugely limiting.

My gym is pretty close to the office, on my lifting days I'll usually show up around 8:30, put in a couple hours, pop over to the gym for an hour and a half then head back to work. They're cool about it, I don't take lunches or coffee breaks, so it works out well.

I like my gym, most of their revenue comes from personal training and there are only a handful of members; everyone is really cool too.

Driving Enthusiast, Strength & Fitness Advocate, Sci-Fi Fan, Classic Game Collector, IT Professional

sostrich(at)live.ca | Instagram | Twitter

When winter rolled in, I broke down and joined a 24x7 gym that's 5 minutes from my house. Initially, I was working out after 9pm - getting started as early as 9:15pm and as late as 11pm. As my intensity increased, I found I was having trouble getting to sleep within a reasonable amount of time.

Now, I work out as follows:

Mon - 5pm

Tue - 5:30pm (during my son's TKD class which is right down the road)

Wed - off

Thu - 5pm (during my son's TKD class)

Fri - 5pm

Sat - 10am ((during my son's TKD class)

Sun - off

It's working out pretty well. If I get rushed dropping my son off, or otherwise have errands that can't wait, I'll move my weight-lifting workouts to 8pm if they fall on Tue or Thu.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I started right after work in the Fall and I like it. I was worried at first because I used to come home and cook right away so I thought I'd be hungry, but I have a Special K bar before I workout and it does the trick. It's an hour long cardio kick boxing class I go to. Never thought I'd like the class environment either but it keeps me going. There's a few days when I'd like to quit but I'm quite shy and introverted so I'd never leave in the middle of the class because it would draw too much attention

I've found that what works best for me, at least, is working out right after i get home from work. Feed the cat, grab my gym back and head out to the local gym. The less I rest between work and lifting, the better. I've also found that an espresso right before my workout helps out a lot with maintaining intensity.

I have to go right after work. I already get up early some days to bike commute, so I just wait til the evening to get my workout in. Dinner sure tastes better after a strenuous workout.

I go to a Crossfit box just a few miles from home.

@hillarief

You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in a pretty sweet spot. The Apartment complex I live in has free gym membership to this place called City Club which is otherwise usually super expensive to join. It's about a two minute walk from my house....so whenever I get done work, I usually head straight over there. Unless it's a leg day, then I go later in the evening...that way, it's not too crowded when I do my lunges :D

I'm an afternoon guy..tried mornings and I jsut can't get used to waking up early. I stay up too late working on NF to get used to working out in the AM.

Problem is, my gym is LOADED with chumps at 6:00pm when I get off work, so I just pray that I can get into one of the squat racks and take care of business. Oh well. Put in my headphones, keep my head down, and just do my thing.

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

College starts at about 10.30 am and ends in the afternoon so usually I go to the gym in the morning. I'm not a morning person either, but when I'm done working out I feel great, like I can start the day succesfully. In the afternoon, the gym is packed with ego's and "kids", so I try to go in the morning or at noon. Try going with a friend too, so you can actually enjoy your time there. When I go alone, I just take my ipod, put some music on and do what I came for!

Gym is about 5 minutes away from home with the bike, and en route to my college. But when it's terrible wheather, I just workout at home.

Arno

I have to mix it up because I'm using a foam roller and a rolling pin at home. I understand how crazy that sounds. So I work out three times a week at the WVU Student Recreation center (which is actually a wonderful place to work out). And then I work out three times a week at home. It works out pretty awesome because those days when I'm home I clean the house and work out. It works pretty good, and also, you sleep like a champ if you work out before bed LOL. I worked out at like 8:30 last night and slept the whole night without even getting up to pee. Pretty awesome.

It depends on the day for me. I usually train at the martial arts facility since they have a cross fit equipment and love new people to join in. I hit up there 5-6 days a week for about 2 hours a day (1 hour is a lesson, either capoeria or muay thai, and the second hour is me working a area I'm lacking in). I also do a second workout at home 3 days a week or more (depending on energy levels) and this is mainly the P90X muscle workouts (since I always get cardio ad the martial arts lessons), plus I have resistance bands, ab roller, and pull up bar to help destory myself whenever I feel the need.

I work out in my garage. I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay for a gym membership, and I balk at the idea of driving to work out.

For now I'm using the slosh pipe, but I'm also keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a $100 or so benchpress and weights.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I'm with jacoblee. I have the $100 home Gym:

Exercise Ball

Small set of free weights

Jump Rope

Yoga Mat

I also bought an elliptical machine a few years back that gets some pretty good use, but it doesn't fit into my $100 gym concept. As of now, I am trying to lose 30 pounds, so I feel I can accomplish that goal with what I have at home.

I think when I get to my goal weight, I will be at a point where I might want to start shaping my body, so I might reassess the whole gym membership then so I can have access to all of the nice machines to help isolate and sculpt certain areas.

One thing I miss about the gym is the access to all of the fun classes, which gave a little more variety, and the social experience (while an online support group is great, it isn't quite the same as some gym buddies pushing you along).

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

I work out in my garage. I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay for a gym membership, and I balk at the idea of driving to work out.

For now I'm using the slosh pipe, but I'm also keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a $100 or so benchpress and weights.

Funny you mention this... I have a $100 bench and weights for sale, but I think TX is a long haul from AL. My wife is driving to houston in May, but I don't think I could squeeze it in the car :)

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Haha, especially cuz I'm passing on things that are on the far side of Houston. You ever been here before? We're a sprawl... I'm looking for "south of beltway" only

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I work out evenings and mornings most days. I work out at home, mostly, but I also signed up as a PE helper. I work out M/W for 2 hours with the kids. Then come home and fall down. XD

I prefer working out in the morning, but sometimes it doesn't happen, so I work out later.

I used to be an evening person, simply because that worked with with my work schedule. Looking back it kind of sucked because it's a large gym and the place would be packed Mon - Thurs.

Now that I'm not working my wife wakes me up in the morning as she is getting ready for work. I figured instead of laying in bed trying to sleep while she blow dries her hair, I might as well get up and get moving. The first few weeks were pretty hard, but mornings are so awesome. The gym is practically empty, the only people there are the die-hards who are great to work out around (super friendly too). Hopefully when I get back to working I can keep my morning schedule.