Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

These devices are commonly known as playpens.
Knowing the difference can prevent trips to your house by social servcies ;)
Apparently our dog crate was not visually appealing. But the kids love it in there. I swear.

HulmeK got it. My weight room is going to be in a garage (by the end of this weekend, yes!) surrounded by power tools and man stuff. Playpens are not manly and are not allowed without serious modification, like barbed wire around the top or something.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

There's one lady at my gym, who made her kid part of her workout. She can't go as intense as she would on her own, but she does it with her daughter, running, bodyweight exercises, stretching, etc. now she asks her daughter what she wants to do that day and so forth. Really gets the kid into it and teaches her how to do it properly and really installs a love of it in her daughter. That's one of the most awesome things I've seen in a long time :)

It's interesting that you mention this, because when my nieces were visiting, I would work out in the garage and they would walk in and watch me, there was even a point to where my niece would say, "And at the end do this exercise." and I would comply, I even got them doing the Beginner BW workout from NF. It was interesting seeing them get involved, and a hint of jealousy when my niece can place her entire palms on the floor while I'm struggling to get past my shins :tongue:

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

HulmeK got it. My weight room is going to be in a garage (by the end of this weekend, yes!) surrounded by power tools and man stuff. Playpens are not manly and are not allowed without serious modification, like barbed wire around the top or something.

I disagree man. Kids learn how important stuff is by watching their parents. What's more manly than installing a love of fitness and teaching your kid to be healthy?

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Apparently our dog crate was not visually appealing. But the kids love it in there. I swear.

I know! My niece used to come over to our house (when I lived with my parents) and we had a hard time getting her to come out of the dog kennel. She wanted to pretend to "Be a Nikki(name of my dog)" It was cute as mess, but we felt really sketchy with her being in a dog kennel in case anyone ever came over and saw her in there...

Today was an enlightening experience. And I'm very disappointed in myself.

Was driving home from the gym today, I live in the country so it's about 30 minutes of highway diving between the two. Today it took close to 60 minutes, because it began snowing after I left and we've so far gotten about 6 inches in about 2 hours. You couldn't see the road, it was snowing too hard to see many landmarks to figure out where the road was. I couldn't even distinguish the snowbank at the edge of the road. So I was driving VERY slowly (40km/h in a 100km/h) zone with my hazards on.

There were people in the ditch all over the place, and I barely hesitated as I drove by. Now I could try comfort myself by saying I just drive a car and there's not much I can do to help. Especially in a day and age where EVERYONE has cell phones (the only real service I could offer). But I realized that I was afraid. Not only that I would miss the edge of the road when pulling over and end up in the ditch myself, but I was afraid of these people I didn't know.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into the situation, or imagining things that aren't there, but I feel like a totally worthless coward.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I know! My niece used to come over to our house (when I lived with my parents) and we had a hard time getting her to come out of the dog kennel. She wanted to pretend to "Be a Nikki(name of my dog)" It was cute as mess, but we felt really sketchy with her being in a dog kennel in case anyone ever came over and saw her in there...

Oh, I'd love them to be involved and be in the room, they just need to be surrounded in steel and barbed wire, you know, manly stuff, not mesh and duckys. I'm completely kidding of course, I'd just move a playpen into the garage and they could hang out.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Was driving home from the gym today, I live in the country so it's about 30 minutes of highway diving between the two. Today it took close to 60 minutes, because it began snowing after I left and we've so far gotten about 6 inches in about 2 hours. You couldn't see the road, it was snowing too hard to see many landmarks to figure out where the road was. I couldn't even distinguish the snowbank at the edge of the road. So I was driving VERY slowly (40km/h in a 100km/h) zone with my hazards on.

There were people in the ditch all over the place, and I barely hesitated as I drove by. Now I could try comfort myself by saying I just drive a car and there's not much I can do to help. Especially in a day and age where EVERYONE has cell phones (the only real service I could offer). But I realized that I was afraid. Not only that I would miss the edge of the road when pulling over and end up in the ditch myself, but I was afraid of these people I didn't know.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into the situation, or imagining things that aren't there, but I feel like a totally worthless coward.

My wife is the same way. She's scared that if you approach a stranger, they're going to turn around and blow you away or something. I just can't understand it. I think people are more scared of the world now because of all the crazy crap you see in the media, and people think the world is getting worse. This is why we see crap like kids not trick or treating in some communities and instead have a trick or treat thing around a school or something.

I'm a firm believer that the world only seems to get worse because we become more jaded and see more things and the media focuses on the bad stuff. I think the world is the same place it always was.

500 / 330 / 625

Church, IMHO unless you are an emergency responder, you should keep moving. By stopping, and walking around you become a visual distraction and also risk getting hit by another motorist. This comes with caveats of course, e.g. - major roll-over right in front of you, but for the average "slid into the snowbank" episode you are probably going to be more of a hindrance than benefit.

I would call this common sense, you aren't doing it to be a dick, and it's not fear related, it's for the greater good. Use your judgement in extreme situations.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I agree with Killer, you would have been more trouble than you were worth if you pulled over, especially if you went off into the ditch. Remember that fear is a good thing in most cases and keeps us alive. In the old days those without fear often didn't live long enough to pass on their genes. May I suggest that your not stopping and your fear of strangers are two independent variables? In other words, don't beat yourself up for not stopping, but if you want to address your fear of strangers, try to do it independently of the guilt you fear for not stopping, which while understandable, may not be warranted.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I was driving along once on a country road, guy flagged me down next to a steaming car, hood up.

He pulled a gun on me and took my phone and wallet. I convinced him to let me keep my I.D.

Shit happens man. Who cares if they think you're a dick.

Guest Snake McClain

I'm a firm believer that the world only seems to get worse because we become more jaded and see more things and the media focuses on the bad stuff. I think the world is the same place it always was.

I agree with this completely. The world is not worse. The world has always been crazy. The world has also always been great. Unfortunately what sells in the media is not the positive happy stuff (unless it's the holiday season). What sells in the media is the negative scary stuff. For some reason it is exciting. It gets ratings. so now that we have MORE media outlets telling us what's going on well...it looks worse than it is. Technology just gives us more access to what sells. And sadly that is negativity.

Now in regards to CHURCH...buddy you did the right thing. I mean what were you going to do stop and help every person on the side of the road? It's cold. And the weather is dangerous. You're fine man. Don't beat yourself up about it. :D

As the gentlemen have said already. You have to protect yourself.

I actually think it goes further than that. The world is not the same place it always has been, things have improved a great deal.

Just about everything I can think of has improved a lot in my lifetime, however crime has especially. Violent crime rates have declined continuously since the early 90's. The muder rate is down dramatically.

I agree with this completely. The world is not worse. The world has always been crazy. The world has also always been great. Unfortunately what sells in the media is not the positive happy stuff (unless it's the holiday season). What sells in the media is the negative scary stuff. For some reason it is exciting. It gets ratings. so now that we have MORE media outlets telling us what's going on well...it looks worse than it is. Technology just gives us more access to what sells.

More and more people though are starting to ditch traditional media as a source of news. It used to be the only way, but nowadays social media and the wisdom of crowds not only keeps you more informed, faster, it ignores a lot of the hyped up empty ratings stories. Instead of fear mongering to fill space between real substance, you get cats, Ryan Gosling, and poorly cut pictures on multicolor backgrounds, each with funny little text blurbs.

Something newsworthy happens in the world, and you'll see a RT on Twitter well before CNN, MSNBC, or Faux says anything about it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Guest Snake McClain
I actually think it goes further than that. The world is not the same place it always has been, things have improved a great deal.

Just about everything I can think of has improved a lot in my lifetime, however crime has especially. Violent crime rates have declined continuously since the early 90's. The muder rate is down dramatically.

More and more people though are starting to ditch traditional media as a source of news. It used to be the only way, but nowadays social media and the wisdom of crowds not only keeps you more informed, faster, it ignores a lot of the hyped up empty ratings stories. Instead of fear mongering to fill space between real substance, you get cats, Ryan Gosling, and poorly cut pictures on multicolor backgrounds, each with funny little text blurbs.

Something newsworthy happens in the world, and you'll see a RT on Twitter well before CNN, MSNBC, or Faux says anything about it.

i agree with all that you just said. I am just trying to say that modern media is the reason things SEEM worse. not that they are.

So, time for a new topic.

How many guys here do old-school shaving, that is, use a brush, safety razor or straight razor, or use older aftershaves/colognes? I recently started using a safety razor, and a little birdy told me I'm getting the brush and glycerin soap set from the drugstore in my stocking. I also went low-budget on aftershave recently and started using afta, it works well and I like the scent. I still use an electric during the week when I need a fast shave, but even then I start with Lectric Shave and finsih with the Afta. What about everyone else?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I can't remember exactly what it is, but the stuff I use comes in a little blue jar type thing and requires a brush to apply, it lathers rather nicely and is water-soluble. I like it.

I try not to shave more than once a week. I just don't care much for shaving. I maintain/trim my goat tee with trimmers and use a Gillette razor with just the shower water when I shave. On occasion I will use shaving cream, but not often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 3 Ogre Noob Adventurer

Str: 10.5 Con: 6.5

Dex: 3 WIS: 6.5

STA: 4 CHA: 3

Weighty Quest!

"You are afraid to die, and you’re afraid to live.

What a way to exist.†– Neale Donald Walsch

Epic Quest (55/100)

I use a vintage Gillette safety razor for every shave. I use hair conditioner ad a shaving cream and shave in the shower.

I'm still trying to find my brushes and shaving soaps/creams which I've got stored somewhere with my straight razor.

My full kit includes a synthetic fibre brush from the body shop, a Dovo straight razor and a box full of creams, soaps and aftershaves.

If you haven't tried a hot lather shave yet, head over to artofmanliness.com and learn how. You'll never look back!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I have a Gillette Mach 3 razor (inherited from my partner when he got a new one - it just needed new blades) and no loyalty whatsoever to shaving foam, though I much prefer foam to gel. I shave once a week unless there's a special occasion in the middle, so I get rather stubbly by the end of the working week. I'd stop shaving for weeks at a time if I could get away with it, as I find it something of a chore, but I do look much younger when my face is naked.

Aftershave - only on special occasions, and I've never bought the stuff for myself. I usually get at least one bottle at Christmas from relatives with no idea what to buy me and I use the stuff so infrequently I still have some left from two Christmases ago. I expect there will be more soon.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I use a Gillette Mach 3 that I've had since I turned 18 for shaving right now, but I really want to switch over to a straight razor. However, I got the introductory shaving set from Art of Shaving, and it's AWESOME! It comes with a pre-shave oil, shaving cream with brush, and post-shave lotion. I have never had a closer shave than with this combo. My wife is really impressed by how smooth my skin is after I shave. The whole setup is a great way to start the morning. I'll have to upgrade to their full set with a better brush in the near future. :)

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

I should probably put more time into shaving. I normally use an electric razor when I shave. If I'm running late or forget to shave before heading to work, I've got a disposable razor with the aloe strip and will do a quick dry shave in the parking lot before heading in. I used to keep my electric razor in there, but I kept on forgetting to take it out and don't have a car charger for it.

Eventually, my face will probably hate me for this, but it works for now.

I hate shaving and I look good stubbly, so I only shave about once a week. Just use the cheap throwaway razors from the colmado (little family-owned stores that sell food and need-right-now products), in the latrine, holding a jar full of water in which to rinse the razor off. It was kind of tricky without a mirror, but I got used to it.

Not ideal, but it works.

"If we take man as he is, we make him worse. But if we take man as he should be, we make him capable of becoming what he can be."

--Viktor Frankl paraphrasing Goethe