Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

So, time for a new topic.

How many guys here do old-school shaving, that is, use a brush, safety razor or straight razor, or use older aftershaves/colognes? I recently started using a safety razor, and a little birdy told me I'm getting the brush and glycerin soap set from the drugstore in my stocking. I also went low-budget on aftershave recently and started using afta, it works well and I like the scent. I still use an electric during the week when I need a fast shave, but even then I start with Lectric Shave and finsih with the Afta. What about everyone else?

Art of shaving Pre-shave oil, Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving soap, badger hair brush, straight razor or mach 3 depending on time, and art of shaving after shave. I'll probably make my own shaving soap next time.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

I like the thought of old skool shaving. Always prefer using foam and a razor to an electric shaver, just gives a much better finish.

Most of the time I have a few days stubble in the mistaken belief that amount of facial hair is directly proportional to how much one can lift.

Actually, we've had that discussion in this thread (or possibly the first generation of this thread) and determined that it's the opposite, the amount you can lift affects facial hair. That is, more lifting equals more testosterone equals (depending on your genetics) more faical hair.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I don't know. I PR'd on my dead lift back when I had my mustache, and today (the 'stache is now gone), I felt lower back pain when I tried.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I shave using barbasol shaving cream and a gillette mach 3 razor. i used to only shave once a month to once every two months. the girlfriend's now a fan of the stubble so i shave once a week now.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I used to use gillette and shave gel, but recently switched over to a double edged safety razor with shave brush and cream. Unlike other people, I haven't noticed a closer shave with the DE blade, but I will say i rarely get ingrown hairs anymore.

Even if you don't go all the way to a DE blade or straight razor (yikes), I do recommend using a brush and cream/soap.

For those of you still wasting money on gillette/shick, try out http://www.dorcousa.com/.

Guest Snake McClain
I don't know. I PR'd on my dead lift back when I had my mustache, and today (the 'stache is now gone), I felt lower back pain when I tried.

its possible your form isn't quite dialed in consistently yet. I've been doing this for a year and I'm certain that my form is still the $#!%$ sometimes. othertimes it feels good. Hoping I get to work with someone on it soon.

its possible your form isn't quite dialed in consistently yet. I've been doing this for a year and I'm certain that my form is still the $#!%$ sometimes. othertimes it feels good. Hoping I get to work with someone on it soon.

I think it's a form thing. I redid the lower body day because I half-assed it so hard yesterday, and it was awesome today. I took it slower and really concentrated on bracing my core and keeping proper form. And I'm right back where I was. So I'll definitely take this as a lesson to constantly work the basics and not let my ego run away with my health.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I think it's a form thing. I redid the lower body day because I half-assed it so hard yesterday, and it was awesome today. I took it slower and really concentrated on bracing my core and keeping proper form. And I'm right back where I was. So I'll definitely take this as a lesson to constantly work the basics and not let my ego run away with my health.

Don't listen to Snake. He doesn't know. You should probably grow back a mustache. That was the key to your success.

Don't listen to Snake. He doesn't know. You should probably grow back a mustache. That was the key to your success.

I reckon it's a bit of both. The weight of the moustache was counterbalancing and correcting your form.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I am not going to lie, I have been looking almost non-stop at straight razors and DE safety razors. Definitely want to at least get a safety one, if not a straight.

Level 3 Ogre Noob Adventurer

Str: 10.5 Con: 6.5

Dex: 3 WIS: 6.5

STA: 4 CHA: 3

Weighty Quest!

"You are afraid to die, and you’re afraid to live.

What a way to exist.†– Neale Donald Walsch

Epic Quest (55/100)

I am not going to lie, I have been looking almost non-stop at straight razors and DE safety razors. Definitely want to at least get a safety one, if not a straight.

I say get both. The last thing you want to do is shave with a straight razor when running late. I'll probably get a safety razor soon once I'm out of blades for my other.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

I'm thinking that what I'll do is grow back my goatee in the new year. Look stifistimicated again :)

Guest Snake McClain

I gotta be honest guys...I feel like complete crap. I keep looking at my body weight and how long I've been lifting and my numbers suck. Like...all of them. Not a single one is really good. Kind of makes me mad.

I gotta be honest guys...I feel like complete crap. I keep looking at my body weight and how long I've been lifting and my numbers suck. Like...all of them. Not a single one is really good. Kind of makes me mad.

I was in the same boat man. I went hard it; diet, big error at the gym, strength training, circuits, cardio. And it all amounted to nothing for the first year, and then all of a sudden in down 45lbs since April, I can do all kinds of stuff that I couldn't before. I know you know this stuff takes time, but it could also take A LOT of time.

What are you comparing yourself to when you say that your numbers suck? Cuz I understand the desire to have people see you do your squats or something and be in awe of your amazing awesomeness. But the most successful people I've ever met in that regard have only ever tried to be better than the person they were the day before.

I hear you man, this is a crappy week for me too, only one strength day and one run this week, doesn't look like I'll get to work out today, car issues. To paraphrase Mr. Stinson, I'll stop being sad and start being awesome, will you join me?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Schick quatro (4 blade) razor and gillete shave foam, I don't use gel beause it clogs up the gaps between the blades much easier.

As for the effect of facial hair on fitness, I haven't lifted in 4 weeks but half way through those 4 weeks I shaved my mustache and have dropped a belt notch with no exercise at all.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

There are two possible cases here.

1. Nothing is actually wrong; you're just caught in a plateau. Keep working on it, keep up the diet and the exercise, and don't lose heart. Eventually it'll end and you'll start climbing again - but it's impossible to say how long it will take.

2. Alternatively, there's something you're not doing. Check everything - diet, form, routine, state of mind. Are you eating enough? Are you eating the right sort of enough? You may also want to consider changing what you're doing simply because you're in a routine - muscles need to be shocked sometimes, so try shifting around your workout or switching a few exercises for new versions.

And perhaps you're doing what I did for too long - mistaking tiredness for progress. For ages I was stuck on two bodyweight circuits and couldn't move up to three - and then one day I just went for it, and realised that I just wasn't pushing hard enough.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Guest Snake McClain

I'm actually comparing myself to me mainly. Just tired of my numbers not changing in months with the exception of a few. They just haven't budged. But I just started the 5/3/1 program in hopes to remedy this. Starting week three today. We shall see what's what I guess. Its just irritating.

I know for a long time is as waiting for the current difficulty to get easier before I progressed, but I never saw any improvement until I went and bit off more than I could chew a couple times.

I'm actually comparing myself to me mainly. Just tired of my numbers not changing in months with the exception of a few. They just haven't budged. But I just started the 5/3/1 program in hopes to remedy this. Starting week three today. We shall see what's what I guess. Its just irritating.

From what I've seen from you, you're probably a program hopper. Stick with something for a couple of months.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Guest Snake McClain
From what I've seen from you, you're probably a program hopper. Stick with something for a couple of months.

i know it looks that way because i constantly consider changing programs but i really don't. I've been on SL 5x5 for nearly a year. there were a few months i couldn't do squats because of an injury. At one point i switched to body weight exercises for exactly one month because i had no access to a gym. then went right back to SL. I have added things here and there periodically but i've always kept to the same routine basically.

I am now doing the 5/3/1 program. I'm going to hang in at it for about 4 months at least. see what it does. I'm also amping up a few things with it. keeping the 4 required days and adding a few others in. Should be interesting to see what happens.

i know it looks that way because i constantly consider changing programs but i really don't. I've been on SL 5x5 for nearly a year. there were a few months i couldn't do squats because of an injury. At one point i switched to body weight exercises for exactly one month because i had no access to a gym. then went right back to SL. I have added things here and there periodically but i've always kept to the same routine basically.

I am now doing the 5/3/1 program. I'm going to hang in at it for about 4 months at least. see what it does. I'm also amping up a few things with it. keeping the 4 required days and adding a few others in. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Ehhh... dude. If you did SL5x5 properly for nearly a year you're almost certainly going to need intermediate programming, so there's you're problem. 5/3/1 will probably fix you right up.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.