Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

For US citizens if you can trace ancestry back to the UK and meet their other critera (and are willing to pay for it) you can get a coat of arms from the Royal College of Heraldry in the UK. (Sorry if I got the name wrong).

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Worth saying that only the aristocracy had or have coats of arms in the UK.  It's very unusual, and I don't recall meeting anyone that posh, ever.  I can think of one or two who might have, but if they did they kept it quiet.

What's sometimes marketed (to tourists) as being coats of arms are genuine coats of arms for a particular family with a particular name, but it absolutely doesn't follow that that's *your* family coat of arms.  Even if it turns out that there is a line of descent, it again may not follow that there's any formal entitlement to use it - not that it really matters.

Short version is that there's a whole industry out there to cater for people (mostly North Americans) who are interested in their cultural heritage and have money to spend and are interested in flattering stories.  Because you'd like to think your ancestors lived in Downton Abbey, rather than being oppressed by their feudal overlords like the rest of us.  See also Scottish family tartans - largely a Victorian invention (at worse) or exaggeration (at best).

Of course, I wouldn't rule out the possibilty that families might be able to trace their origin back to some of great and not so good - after all, there's a family in Australia who apparently are arguably the rightful British royal family (if anyone can argue that there's such a right) because of the likely illegitimacy of one of the heirs a few centuries back.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

There is only one person I know in the U.S. whose family has a legit family coat of arms. But when that person's last name is "von Thaden" you really can't be that surprised, now can you. A name like that just has former nobility written all over it.

Well I'm of Mexican descent, so my history is full of invading countries since the first chisel to rock! I highly doubt I have a Family Crest in my ancestry (probably because they were partially of indian descent) Meaning that Making my own is my only option

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Worth saying that only the aristocracy had or have coats of arms in the UK.  It's very unusual, and I don't recall meeting anyone that posh, ever.  I can think of one or two who might have, but if they did they kept it quiet.

What's sometimes marketed (to tourists) as being coats of arms are genuine coats of arms for a particular family with a particular name, but it absolutely doesn't follow that that's *your* family coat of arms.  Even if it turns out that there is a line of descent, it again may not follow that there's any formal entitlement to use it - not that it really matters.

Short version is that there's a whole industry out there to cater for people (mostly North Americans) who are interested in their cultural heritage and have money to spend and are interested in flattering stories.  Because you'd like to think your ancestors lived in Downton Abbey, rather than being oppressed by their feudal overlords like the rest of us.  See also Scottish family tartans - largely a Victorian invention (at worse) or exaggeration (at best).

Of course, I wouldn't rule out the possibilty that families might be able to trace their origin back to some of great and not so good - after all, there's a family in Australia who apparently are arguably the rightful British royal family (if anyone can argue that there's such a right) because of the likely illegitimacy of one of the heirs a few centuries back.

I was referring to having custom coats of arms made, not purchasing ones off of the internet associated with a family name. The website for the royal college of heraldry makes clear most coats of arms aren't hereditary.

Well I'm of Mexican descent, so my history is full of invading countries since the first chisel to rock! I highly doubt I have a Family Crest in my ancestry (probably because they were partially of indian descent) Meaning that Making my own is my only option

Those websites Rostov mentioned have coats of arms for just about every last name included. I have a lot of hispanic friends and I've found coats of arms for every one of them. Now, as to whether or not they are legitimate...(the coats of arms, not the friends).

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm having trouble seeing how a coat of arms would improve quality of life. Can someone elaborate?

Keeping your pet octopus warm in the winter?

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Beard update: Conditioning moistuizer I've been using has helped soften it up as it grows in, wife is no longer opposed to feel, so it's here to stay.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm having trouble seeing how a coat of arms would improve quality of life. Can someone elaborate?

It wouldn't, but for some people, it could be a nice-to-have. I have considered it but probably won't pay for it.

Beard update: Conditioning moistuizer I've been using has helped soften it up as it grows in, wife is no longer opposed to feel, so it's here to stay.

Nice, congrats!

Current Challenge

That is awesome news my friend!

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Huzzah for significant other-approved beards!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

i'm only allowed up to 2-3 days of growth before i have to shave.  mind you, she doesn't FORCE me to, but there's no kissing or anythign if i'm too rough for her.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

i'm only allowed up to 2-3 days of growth before i have to shave.  mind you, she doesn't FORCE me to, but there's no kissing or anythign if i'm too rough for her.

Same  deal. the moisturizer has been awesome and it's finally getting to a length where it is really starting to soften up.

Maybe she just needs to toughen up!

"I'm only ALLOWED up to...." Does she let you out to play with your friends if you do the dishes too? hahaha! Just kidding man!

Obviously said by an unmarried man.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Maybe she just needs to toughen up!

"I'm only ALLOWED up to...." Does she let you out to play with your friends if you do the dishes too? hahaha! Just kidding man!

yes, every couple of months.

;-)

but yeah, it irritates her skin and gets all red if it's too long.  since mine is so fine it's like little needles.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

My beard used to come in razor sharp... by the end of a day my ex wouldn't let me anywhere near her...

Turns out I just needed to switch to some high quality shaving stuff, stepped up to using a safety razor with a good cream, badgerhair brush, and aftershave and now it even grows in soft enough that I don't get complaints from the ladies anymore.  Which is good because I am wayyy to lazy to shave every day, I am lucky if I make it every other day.  Generally by the time the weekend rolls around I just don't even bother again till Monday.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Plus I just bought a year supply (assuming I change my blade once a week! which you really don't have to unless you want it super sharp) of feather blades on amazon for $20... That price would have lasted me about a month with the ole cartridge kind... I can't recommend it enough.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Plus I just bought a year supply (assuming I change my blade once a week! which you really don't have to unless you want it super sharp) of feather blades on amazon for $20... That price would have lasted me about a month with the ole cartridge kind... I can't recommend it enough.

Exactly, it is soooooo much cheaer and a single safety razor blade lasts a lot longer than an over-engineered quintuple-backflip-super-deluxe-reduce-your-mortgage-payment-8-blade monster.

Current Challenge