Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Safety razor is the way to go. The only real problem I have with mine, is that now I need to figure out how to get rid of my fusion and all the cartridges.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Safety razor is the way to go. The only real problem I have with mine, is that now I need to figure out how to get rid of my fusion and all the cartridges.

Donate them to the shaving mis-informed?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Donate them to the shaving mis-informed?

That's what I did... sold them half-price to a friend that still used them.  Bet you ask just about any random guy and they will want them.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I plan on using the remainder of my cartridges and then switch myself over to a safety razor.  I also figured I'd keep one or two regular blades on hand in case I need to quickly shave... as I hear doing that with a safety razor is unwise.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I plan on using the remainder of my cartridges and then switch myself over to a safety razor.  I also figured I'd keep one or two regular blades on hand in case I need to quickly shave... as I hear doing that with a safety razor is unwise.

I find it takes me the same amount of time with a safety razor as it did with a cartridge.  I am not the most careful person ever in the morning so I generally have a few spots that aren't perfectly smooth without a second pass, but generally I found I don't need it and my face feels much better the fewer times a blade passes over it.  My (somewhat) daily shave for work takes exactly the same amount of time as it did with a cartridge after I got used to it.  The first few shaves did take about double the time though... so it may be a good precaution at first

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Yeah, the straight razor took me a while at first, but now I'm down to what I feel is a reasonable amount of time. As long as I shave at least every other day. Otherwise it's a chore to shave it all.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Yeah, the straight razor took me a while at first, but now I'm down to what I feel is a reasonable amount of time. As long as I shave at least every other day. Otherwise it's a chore to shave it all.

Which brand did you go with? I am looking at picking up a kit eventually. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm not sure. I bought a cheap yellow one that you just swap out safety razors as you need to. It was about 30 bucks for the thing. And other than that, really all I have is a brush and some shaving cream. Once I get a little more comfortable with the razor I'll buy a real one, and then research how to do it properly. Cuz I'm pretty sure that I'm still just at the "novice" level. I'm definitely no master! Lol.

The first few shaves did take about double the time though... so it may be a good precaution at first

That's mainly where I'm worried.  The initial few times... and getting the motivation to shave on the weekends so I have enough time! Ha.

Though maybe next paycheck I'll look into buying one and see what happens.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I've been wanting to switch over to a straight razor, but just haven't yet. I've also taken to scissor-trimming my beard and mustache. That was a steep learning curve!

I'm about to start scissor trimming at least my mustache because you don't want to have the whole thing the same length. From what I understand, to get the fullest mustache the hair should be trimmed so that they all reach down to your lip, resulting in the ones near the nose being quite a bit longer than the ones growing in closer to the lip. I plan on using the scissors to get rid of the rogue hairs that refuse to fall in line and grow straight out instead of downward, then using the trimmer to cut the hairs at the lip, eventualy using scissors for that too.

I'm gonna get a straight razor eventually. With the beard I'm shaving all of 2 square inches on the upper cheeks and maybe 4 on the neck to get nice beard lines, and that's it. A Straight razor would let me get more consistant lines I think.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I can't say I find flaw with that line of thinking. And if you get the same kind that I have it'll be minimal start up cost, and the blades will last FOREVER shaving so little. Lol

I'm gonna get a straight razor eventually. With the beard I'm shaving all of 2 square inches on the upper cheeks and maybe 4 on the neck to get nice beard lines, and that's it. A Straight razor would let me get more consistant lines I think.

First off, I wish I could grow a mustache... my beard comes in like a lumberjack, but my mustache just never lives up to the rest of my face. 

The barbershop I go to has a nice finishing touch where they use a straight razor on the back of your neck and around your ears, it produces possibly the most beautiful hair line imaginable.  I want to upgrade from a safety razor to straight edge some day, but I want to wait until I have the money for a nice one.  Part of me wouldn't be happy with it unless I had a real nice bone handled blade just to finish out that classic style.  Here's to dreaming!

That's my ultimate goal to. I wanna have to sharpen and strop it old school. But for now the cheapy has me using a straight razor and discovering that I actually like it and can use it. That way I know that I won't just be wasting money on a good quality blade that I'll only ever look at.

First off, I wish I could grow a mustache... my beard comes in like a lumberjack, but my mustache just never lives up to the rest of my face. 

The barbershop I go to has a nice finishing touch where they use a straight razor on the back of your neck and around your ears, it produces possibly the most beautiful hair line imaginable.  I want to upgrade from a safety razor to straight edge some day, but I want to wait until I have the money for a nice one.  Part of me wouldn't be happy with it unless I had a real nice bone handled blade just to finish out that classic style.  Here's to dreaming!

NEVER let that shop close, those places are rare now a days, or the charge waay too much.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

It's $20 for a haircut, so it's a bit pricey, but the quality is fantastic... all scissor work, no trimmers unless you request it that way.  I used to think my hair was too thick, wavy, and just a pain in the ass that it would never look decent unless it was buzzed.  Turns out I just needed a good barber! I would gladly spend the money for the work they're doing.

When I was in college I had a barbershop that would give a haircut, with the straight razor touchup on the neck/sideburns, for $6. That was 2000-2003. A full shave, straight razor and hot towel, was five bucks. They even had a shoeshine guy with low prices.  Even as a broke college kid I could afford to get a haircut, shave and shine.  It was awesome.

Current Challenge

Anybody going to be drinkin beer and watching the draft the next few days?

If anyone is interested here is my 2013 Draft Big Board, especially for all my fellow Packer fans:

http://tinyurl.com/acl2ejy

Fans of other teams can of course follow along, it does (hopefully) cover everybody.  But the color coding is specific to the drafting patterns and team build for the Packers.  A lot of national pundits try to hit the top 100 as close as possible, that is included on my board as well (I got 78 last year, middle of the road, best was Bob McGinn with 85).

I will be updating, crossing names off as guys are drafted.

Its a little different than the big lists you typically see, it is instead a matrix board.  Location within a matrix tier is based on where I think they will be drafted, color coding in the tiers is the probability that they are a Packers target.

I split guys up by body type/skill set which helps deal with position vague players and makes it adaptable to different schemes.  Hopefully the names are descriptive enough.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've got a Thiers-Izard I got from the Art of Shaving store nearby, steel scales and a nice sharp blade. I don't use it all that much currently due to having got a sampler pack of DE blades to test out. It's nice to take the time and get in a nice relaxed shave using nothing but steel to your throat. When I'm not sampling new blades for science(!) I try and get a straight razor shave every weekend. 

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Anybody going to be drinkin beer and watching the draft the next few days?

If anyone is interested here is my 2013 Draft Big Board, especially for all my fellow Packer fans:

http://tinyurl.com/acl2ejy

Fans of other teams can of course follow along, it does (hopefully) cover everybody.  But the color coding is specific to the drafting patterns and team build for the Packers.  A lot of national pundits try to hit the top 100 as close as possible, that is included on my board as well (I got 78 last year, middle of the road, best was Bob McGinn with 85).

I will be updating, crossing names off as guys are drafted.

Its a little different than the big lists you typically see, it is instead a matrix board.  Location within a matrix tier is based on where I think they will be drafted, color coding in the tiers is the probability that they are a Packers target.

I split guys up by body type/skill set which helps deal with position vague players and makes it adaptable to different schemes.  Hopefully the names are descriptive enough.

This sounds really fun, woulda prepped one if I'd known ahead of time.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Was never a big fan of following the NFL draft... however fantasy draft day... now that is a great day to have a metric ton of beers and yell at people.

Posting here feels less like bragging than opening a whole new thread on Woot section, so you'll have to bear with me. :P

Managed to (mostly bike, with a few runs) cover 455km this month.

If my tyres didn't get punctured it'd be easy to go to 500 in two days, but no luck for me.

Serves me well for driving on "city" (thin and narrow) tires that are not kevlar threaded/coated.

I'll have to search either for a really affordable kevlar tyres, or I'll have to go back to MTB tyres to compensate for lack of quality with thickness of material.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Posting here feels less like bragging than opening a whole new thread on Woot section, so you'll have to bear with me. :tongue:

Managed to (mostly bike, with a few runs) cover 455km this month.

If my tyres didn't get punctured it'd be easy to go to 500 in two days, but no luck for me.

Serves me well for driving on "city" (thin and narrow) tires that are not kevlar threaded/coated.

I'll have to search either for a really affordable kevlar tyres, or I'll have to go back to MTB tyres to compensate for lack of quality with thickness of material.

Back in the racing days I rolled around on Specialized Armadillos in all but race conditions.  They're a little pricy on the front end, but I only had to buy two pair in five years, riding ~350 miles per week.