Forums are back in action! ×

Modified Weight Training/Workouts

Ok guys, I seriously need your help on this. I've been trying to get healthy, but when I try to do programs most are push ups,dumb bells, and usually a lot of two handed things. Unfortunately I only have 1 hand, so several of these exercises get nixxed immediately. Anyone know of feasible work arounds that can get me the same effort in?

Do you only have 1 hand, or only 1 arm? I had a buddy in college who only had 1 hand in the sense that he had some of a wrist, and a few little flesh "tabs" where fingers should have grown. He was able to do pushups, and I can ask him what he'd do for other things.

I think alecto's got the right idea, but admittedly, those might be pricey.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Alecto - Dude that is so cool, never saw that before. Might have to think on it.

Jacob - Actually I'm much like your friend with my physical situation. I can physically do pushups, but obviously when I do so, due to the length offset the left arm is burdened more, but man I'd be so appreciative if you'd ask.

Alecto - Dude that is so cool, never saw that before. Might have to think on it.

Jacob - Actually I'm much like your friend with my physical situation. I can physically do pushups, but obviously when I do so, due to the length offset the left arm is burdened more, but man I'd be so appreciative if you'd ask.

It just comes down to what your goal is - if it's pure strength and mass, you'll eventually need to use something like that prosthetic.

Pending Jacob's info, you may also look at resistance bands - they give a great workout as they provide resistance through the entire range of motion. They won't require the same type of grip as a barbell or dumbbell, so you could probably fashion something like a lifting strap to use it.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Aside from weight training, you can also focus on interval training, and just getting out there. Sprints of all flat and inclined types, Ultimate Frisbee, swimming, stuff like that. It's not strength training, but it's a good intense workout.

I asked him, hopefully he'll come on here and have some advice!

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I did think of one exercise you can do for shoulders and core that is similar to a dive bomber, but instead of hands it's on your elbows.

You start in Dolphin: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2462

Then slowly straighten out and shift your weight forward into Dolphin Plank: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2463

Repeat 12 times.

I second exercise bands. You can tie the ends in loops so they'll be easier to keep on your arms.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

so, ive been trying to think of something here.

obviously squats will be your best friend - squats, jump squats, one legged squats.

but.

what about boxing?

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

unfortunately ive never done any serious boxing before - but a coworker lives in nashua and does, so ill ask him tomorrow.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

This is what my one-handed friend said:

I was going to post on the fitness site but in order to do that i had to register...it asked me who runs nerdfitness and i didn't know so it wouldn't let me join. Anyway most of the people have already said what i do. I use resistance bands, i connect dumbells together and use straps. I use a lot of machines that just require pushing or pulling (something that my arm allows) I also do push up etc... and it does leave me a little lop-sided but i've come to grips that my left arm is going to be stronger. Hell i use straps and bands for everything..like wii boxing and such. I like the device that alecto showed, that was new to me.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

hah. That question to register was an effort to block spam. Please tell your friend sorry about that!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Alethea: Yeah, I told him. I thought it was hilarious.

RCarper: Why do you dislike it? functional, or appearance?

If appearance, I'd say if anyone paid attention (most people in the gym are entirely self-focused), they'd be thinking "oh cool, look at what that guy is doing!", not something negative. Yeah, you're bound to get questions "how'd it happen?" "what is that?" etc. If you're like my friend, he comes up with a different awesome story every time. Sharks, bears while saving kittens, etc. But soon, the regulars will just know you, and you'll be left alone.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Actually its more functionality, but I can't lie, appearance bugs me a bit too. Guess old school days of getting picked on never truly wear off. I was pretty happy with my hook last night (Its a Hosmer 7) when my trainer set me up for upper body weights. Honestly it felt like a huge hurdle had been leapt, but I'm still trying to get that company Alecto mentioned to talk.