Forums are back in action! ×

Study advice - what helped my finally finish my bachelors degree

Sven

In the beginning of this year, I struggled a lot to finish my bachelors thesis. Even caught a mild depression from it. Just couldn't do it. Deadline drew close again, and a pvp challenge with CalvinHobbes helped, too. But mostly ist was myself that finally managed to push through.

I wrote some of my lessons learned in PMs to CalvinHobbes to help her do the same, but there's no reason not to share it with everyone.

It is mostly based on writing a thesis but can be applied to general studying I guess..

I learned a lot in my last weeks. Here are some tips:

1. Try to get SOMETHING done each day, that helps to get started the day after.

2. Structure your chapters before writing. Divide everything. Chapters divide into sections. Sections devide into aspects/paragraphs. Make little headlines for each paragraph. Do this for your whole thesis or as much as you know what content you want to have already. Then brainstorm and write down headwords for every aspect you want to mention in that paragraph. That way it will be easy to just go paragraph by paragraph and all you have to do is transform the headwords into proper sentences.

3. Use time blocks for your work. Find out how long you can concentrate until you need a break. This is about 45 minutes for me, might be 25 or 60 for you or something in between. At the beginning of each block, especially the first, there will be a phase where you can't concentrate. But don't stop and focus on your next task. Writing the next paragraph for example. After 5-10 minutes, concentration will improve. If it doesn't, take some deep breaths, drink some water, do some push-ups or jumping jacks and immideately return to work. Count those 1-3 minutes into your work time because they help your productivity. No need to be over-exact on what's work and what's not.

4. Take breaks. Take shorter breaks after each block, then a longer break after 2-4 blocks. (Depends on your concentration and block length.) Use your breaks to eat, go outside and get some fresh air, do a short workout or take a nap. Everything that calms your mind and refreshes energy is fine. Reading, watching tv or doing stuff on the internet doesn't help with refreshing.

5. Set times for work and focus on not procrastinating in them. I did 0800 to 1700 most days, depends on when you have time to schedule for your thesis work. Don't do anything but working or taking refreshing breaks in that time frame. This will keep your mind on the task and your brain focussed.

6. Block internet access. This is important. Notebooks can turn wi-fi on or off by a single key press. You might as well plug out the ethernet cable if that's what your connecting by. If you need to research stuff, assign blocks for research. Plug back in, research what you need, plug back out. Remember tip #5 and don't do anything else while online and in your work time frame.

7. Take notes on your thoughts. This is a huge one, too. Have a notepad and pencil within reach, and whenever something not work-related pops up in your mind, write it down and return to your work thoughts immideately. This way you won't forget anything important but can keep focussing on the task at hand. I divided the notes into random thoughts and to-do items, like doing the laundry or washing the dishes. I did the ones like housework in my breaks, because those also helped me relax and calm down. For the other random notes, I'm evaluating them right now, after the thesis is done, to find out if anything of that is still relevant to pursue. Most of it was just my mind trying to wander off though.

8. When writing (as in: not planning your bigger schedule), don't think of the big picture. Don't stress about how much you want to achieve that day. Only focus on the next task at hand. The next paragraph to write. The next diagram to create.

9. Make a to-do list. Always have a list of short next actions at hand. This contains all paragraphs that need to be written out, all diagrams, graphics and tables that have to be added, all questions that need to be researched. That way, tip #8 becomes a lot easier. Once something is done, strike it out. Don't put a check mark on it. Strike it out. It won't be needed anymore. And it helps to keep focussing on what still needs to be done.

10. Write first, edit later. That was a huge one for me, too. If you've written down your headwords, turning them into sentences doesn't have to be hard. I sucked at writing, too. I hated most of the sentences that I wrote, but once I had a thought wrapped up in some sentences (any sentences actually), I've let it be and focussed on the next. This helps you get stuff done and feel some accomplishment. You can assign blocks to edit your paragraphs later and most of the time, on second thought those sentences don't seem so bad anymore.

11. Try to designate a place where you study. Try to do nothing else in this place. I set up a table amidst the chaos in our basement and worked there. It worked like a charm. Go there when you have studying scheduled, and leave to have breaks and when you're done for the day. Helps the mind to get on and off "work mode", which is awesome for stress reduction.

12. Find your why. Make it a strong one. Most rewards won't help. Just having it finished won't help either because you can't fully imagine how that feels. What I did was to focus on stuff I wanted to do on the weekend instead of working to keep my schedule. Getting stuff done in time helps free time to see family and friends on the weekend, have time to play the video game you've been wanting to play so long, or, in my case, having time to attend a jugger tournament.

Please comment if some of this helped or if you have more questions or something helpful to add.

Svane Krios, Level 1 Drell AssassinSTR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3Intro - Fitocracy - Lift - 2013 Goals - Life GoalsChallenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (current)"Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my arms be steady, my mind be clear, and my feet swift.And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness."

This definitely helped me study these past few days for my upcoming stats exam. Thanks for posting it up!

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

You're welcome! Feels great when you finally break that barrier and get stuff done, doesn't it?

I also love the new feeling that there's not always something left that I "should" be doing right now.. feels so liberating..

What's your favorite advice of the bunch?

Svane Krios, Level 1 Drell AssassinSTR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3Intro - Fitocracy - Lift - 2013 Goals - Life GoalsChallenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (current)"Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my arms be steady, my mind be clear, and my feet swift.And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness."

Great tips! I'm working on a master's dissertation right now.

What I already do:

1. Try to get SOMETHING done each day.

3. Use time blocks for your work.

4. Take breaks.

5. Set times for work and focus on not procrastinating in them.

6. Block internet access. (only mentally, I usually can do it)

12. Find your why. Make it a strong one. (Be able to spend weekends with friends and BF, and a final goal of spending winter holidays with playing in the snow with my family, instead of doing last minute writing)

What I need to do:

2. Structure your chapters before writing. (Ooohhh, I can see how this will help me! I easily write to much and get off track and then have to reorder and delete a whole bunch. I've planned chapters and sometimes paragraphs before, but planning ALL off it will make it sooo much easier! Thank you!)

7. Take notes on your thoughts. (Really need to start doing this, there is to much going on my head...)

8. When writing (as in: not planning your bigger schedule), don't think of the big picture. (I do it partly, but need to down focus more.)

9. Make a to-do list. (Mine are not specific enough. It covers month to month and for the next few days, but I need to work on it.)

10. Write first, edit later. (I haven't really started writing first, so this is something I try to do, and will really go for this time. I usually find that it wasn't as bad as I thought when I return to it later.)

Only thing I can't do is have a special place to study. I live in a tiny room. But it is a great idea! I know many of my classmates go to the library or to the school to study, but I don't do much better there then here, anyway.

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

You're welcome! Feels great when you finally break that barrier and get stuff done, doesn't it?

I also love the new feeling that there's not always something left that I "should" be doing right now.. feels so liberating..

What's your favorite advice of the bunch?

Late to reply, but yea, the feeling can't be replicated. It's a huge load of my shoulders at the end of the day, when I can go to sleep knowing I did what I was supposed to do.

As for which advice is my favorite, I can't just choose one! My favorites are 1-6 and 11. The ones that have made the biggest difference though have been #6 and #11. In writing my assignments, #10 has helped me out a lot as well. I'm a perfectionist, so what often happens is that I get so caught up editing as I write, that I forget the point I was trying to reach in the first place!

@Maria: I actually still study in my room instead of going elsewhere to designate that place as my "study place." What I've done is modify the advice to "designating a trigger for study-time mode." What I do is use advice #3 to do something right before I study that triggers my head to see my room not as my room, but as my study place. What's my trigger is that, 15 minutes before study-time starts, I turn off all electronic devices, get up, turn off the lights to my room, go downstairs for a quick refresher, turn the lights back on and then I enter the room to go right into studying. Hmm...rather than a trigger, it's more like a ritual, but hey, it works!

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

@Maria: I actually still study in my room instead of going elsewhere to designate that place as my "study place." What I've done is modify the advice to "designating a trigger for study-time mode." What I do is use advice #3 to do something right before I study that triggers my head to see my room not as my room, but as my study place. What's my trigger is that, 15 minutes before study-time starts, I turn off all electronic devices, get up, turn off the lights to my room, go downstairs for a quick refresher, turn the lights back on and then I enter the room to go right into studying. Hmm...rather than a trigger, it's more like a ritual, but hey, it works!

Awesome idea, never would have thought of that!

Finished my first big Bach hurdle last week. I hear ya, buddy! :D

That's awesome! Crush it!

These are going to come in handy. I'm writing/finishing my bachelor's seminar this spring... gulp! Thanks for the great tips!

The Vigilante - Gorgon Druid (Temp)
STR: 1 DEX: 2 CON: 2
STA: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 3
"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've brought a big bat. I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"-- Dr. Seuss

Challenge goals

Battle log

Archived