Forums are back in action! ×

One Year of Nerd Fitness!

The Tin Man

Alright I'm a few days late for my one-year board anniversary but whatevers! Here is my intro post.

Now I've worked a desk job for almost 3.5 years. I've played some Ultimate, I'm still not heavy, but I'm not where I want to be. I separated my shoulder a year ago and, while the flexibility returned, I never pushed myself to gain the strength back and I feel weaker than I can ever remember since I was 15. My problem has been that my health/fitness level have been "good enough" to not warrant changing my life. I no longer feel good enough. I want to be impressive.

I now feel as strong as I have in the last 8 years. I am still just beginning but know that I am moving towards being "impressive" instead of going backwards or staying still. This is huge.

Wins from the past year:

-Trained for and ran a half marathon (knee pain made me walk some, but it counts and I'll get it next time!)

-Did dedicated strength training for the first time since high school 8 years ago (this includes squats and deadlifts which I had never done before)

-Hit bench/squat/deadlift numbers of just about 1.0/1.5/2.0 times bodyweight for a 750 lb total (while lifting with a whole bunch of NF people)

-Did a handstand push up

-Tried Crossfit at Crossfit Newton with Staci

-Found and started attending an awesome powerlifting gym

-Learned a lot about mobility and injury prevention/management from the Mobility WOD and other sites (includes passing this knowledge to others)

-Met Steve at the Boston meetup at Miracle of Science

-Did an adventure run (Run For Your Lives!)

-Ran barefoot for the first time

-Helped persuade my friend to run his first-ever half marathon, now he's going to give lifting a go

-Met great new people from around the country at NF meetups of various sizes

-Traveled to Costa Rica (first non-North American foreign country)

-Made an Epic Quest list

What am I looking at for the next year?

-Another half marathon in the spring

-A full marathon in the fall?

-200/315/405 powerlifting numbers (hopefully before the half marathon training)

-A more frequent exercise habit (I will need this to get the others)

-A focus on diet. I am still suffering from "Good Enough Syndrome" in this department

A story, followed by a metaphor:

Story: This past New Year's my sister asked if I wanted to do a half marathon with her Memorial Day weekend. Normally I would have considered it using Ramit Sethi's favorite word: "I really should do that". Instead I was in the Nerd Fitness state of mind and eventually realized "Why shouldn't I? I've talked about wanting to run a marathon at some point in my life. This would be a great first step towards that, I'm certainly making no progress in that department now". Changing my state of mind to accept that challenge gave me the direction and goal to really start leveling up my life.

Metaphor: I was like child Link with the three spiritual stones before going to the Temple of Time: strong enough to take on whatever faced me but not really growing. Accepting the challenge of that race was my entering the Temple. I've gone in, gotten older (and wiser), and see the same world as completely changed and full of new challenges and opportunities for growth. Maybe a stretch of a metaphor but this is Nerd Fitness we're talking about! And I could have made it longer and more detailed. Don't say I never did anything for you guys.

To finish: Maybe I would have done some of this without Nerd Fitness. I absolutely would not have accomplished all of it without Steve's blog to get me started and the amazing community here to keep me going.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Happy nerdversary!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived