Forums are back in action! ×

I Did Squats! With Weight On The Bar!!!

Valiance

As the title suggests, I FREAKIN DID SQUATS WITH WEIGHT ON THE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did some exercising over the summer, but I never had the courage to do squats with weight on the bar because I was afraid I would look stupid squatting with the bar and lil' 5lb wights on each end. But tonight, I not only got into the gym but I DID IT!!!

I did 1x5 just the bar, 1x5 with 10lb on the bar, and 2x5 with 20lb on the bar!!! I didn't know I could do it! I just thought about how pissed I was about failing my challenge and all of the sudden I was squatting with the extra 20 lb better than I had been with just the bar! :)

So I think that means I did squats with somewhere in the realm of 30-35lb? I'm not sure how much the bar weighs, but it felt heavier than th 10lb weighs I was putting on it, but I don't think it was 20lb.

I was going to set a goal for the next six week challenge of being able to squat 50lb but DAMN!!! I didn't know my own pathetic strength. :D Looks like I might have to set the goal a little higher.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Valiance, Level 1 Aasimar Warrior

[table=width: 275, class: outer_border, align: center]

STR: 2

DEX: 3

STA: 2

[tr]

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 3

[/table]

Chapter One: Valiance's Journey Begins!

you should try strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength bro! congrats btw!

"If what you did yesterday was your best, you haven't done anything today""

Body Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'8

Lifting Stats as of Aug 14, 2013
Bench Press: 240 lbs 5RM
Squat: 325 lbs 5RM
Overhead Press: 140lbs 4RM
Deadlift: 345lbs 5RM

Its great when we learn we can do something we thought we couldn't. Way to go!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

If it is an at home bar, just weigh yourself holding it (and any collars you use) and weight yourself not holding it and subtract the two measurements to know the weight of the bar. If at a gym, you should ask the staff how much it weighs.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Congrats! :D You got this!

Usually weight bars are in the 5lb range, but I could be wrong. >.<

There is no way that thing was only 5lb!

If it is an olympic weight bar, it is 45lbs.

On the contrasting side, there's no way that thing was 45lb. O_o I'm not even 100% sure I could lift that much, although I think when I did a fitness assessment months and months ago they told me I have a "pulling strength" of 70lb or something. I stood on a thing and pulled up as hard as I could on a metal bar.

If it is an at home bar, just weigh yourself holding it (and any collars you use) and weight yourself not holding it and subtract the two measurements to know the weight of the bar. If at a gym, you should ask the staff how much it weighs.

I need to ask the staff--it's a school gym. I will definitely ask them next time, and in fact I should've asked the guy when he came over to check my form on the squats.

Thanks for all of the encouragement, guys!! :D I am super pumped to get back in there tomorrow and tear it up again! Not with squats, till next week, but I'm gonna keep moving forward. :) Hopefully my next woot will be along the lines of squatting 100lb. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Valiance, Level 1 Aasimar Warrior

[table=width: 275, class: outer_border, align: center]

STR: 2

DEX: 3

STA: 2

[tr]

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 3

[/table]

Chapter One: Valiance's Journey Begins!