Forums are back in action! ×

Crossfit prices

guest439437484421

At the health fair there was a crossfit booth for the local crossfit box. I looked them up and another place in my city (i live and work in two different cities), and both boxes charge $100+. Is this normal pricing?

Also, these seem to be the only boxes in the area.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Seems on the low end of normal from what I've seen. My box charges $150 a month for 3 times a week and unlimited use of the gym while it's open (what I'm currently doing).

What puts it into perspective for me is that this cost is for the classes, which are pretty close to personal training sessions. You will have a trainer/coach at all times during the classes who will help you with form, pointers, and encouragement, all while setting your workout schedule. That works out to about $12.50 a session. Compared with personal training costs at a regular gym (~$60 a session), it's a steal.

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

I've been told by people in other cities that costs can be as low as $80/month. Here, the cheapest is $120 for 3 sessions a week and most are $200/month (unlimited).

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

I pay 175 including tax a month for 3x a week. IT is expensive but if you run the numbers on how much a personal trainer would be it really isn't that bad as long as the following conditions are met:

1) The coaches are good and know their stuff. Not all CF certified coaches are good.

2) The class size is reasonable. 10-15 people is a good size class. Over 20? I'd worry a bit.

3) Programming suits your needs. Some boxes are more met con heavy, some are biased toward strength. Take a look through their workout logs to see how they train.

4) Class times meet your schedule.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

ya, but saying cheap compared to personal training is like when my wife uses how much she 'saved' on her shopping trip to justify how much she spent ;)

(if that came across as snide/bitter it's only because I'd love to go to a box)

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I wish mine was that cheap. I pay around $150 per month for 3 classes a week, and that's after saving 15% because my fiance and I both go so we get a household discount. I'm probably going to go up to unlimited after my wedding, which is another $20 a month.

Although the price is a lot, I know I'm getting what I'm paying for with some awesome coaches who really focus on each person in the class. Plus the price is awesome incentive to actually go. Think of all the people who have $10-$20 a month gym memberships and never go. But when it's ten times as much, you want to use what you're paying for.

I pay $190/month for unlimited access -- and I go about six times a week (M-Th, twice on Tu and W, sometimes on Saturday).

My mental calculation goes like this -- doing CrossFit keeps me from spending money on

My old gym membership (~100/month)

Therapy (~70/month in copays)

Knitting supplies (my old hobby) (~30/month)

Nice clothes to wear on the weekend (~30/month -- I now wear workout clothes when I'm not at work)

And the positive effects really can't be measured. My long-term health costs should be lower. My kids have a great role model of a strong woman in their life. And so on and so on.

Yes, I'm justifying a cost that I would go ahead and incur anyway, but I truly cannot imagine NOT doing this.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Archived