Forums are back in action! ×

Through the Spectrum I glide

Before tripping on a loose rock and tumbling down a good portion of the hiking trail (Eek!). My name is Sir Edward and I am 22 years. Like many, video games and other addictive technology has dominated most of my life and I have just started to take the first step forward into a healthier future! Just this week I have hiked Telegraph Pass in Arizona three times (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)! Each time, however, the path became ever so grueling; perhaps it was my own unfit body weeping for mercy? Anyway, simple story: I, Sir Edward, am severely out of shape and overweight (/cry). But, again, I have taken the first steps toward a healthier future!

I am, sadly, unemployed and attempting to find some sort of short-term employment as to put a little money in my pocket. Not only am I trying to seek employment, I'm also trying to take a step forward in my education and secure my place in the future as an EMT! Though, looking through the requirements and many articles about EMT's, one such fulfillment is being Physically Fit.

So, in a sense, I have already taken my first step forward into becoming an EMT by Hiking the past three days!

I look forward to meeting new friends, too!

unemployed and overweight! been there on both accounts. You, friend, have found the perfect community to provide you with the support and knowledge to change your life. have you read many of Steve's blogs yet?

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Thank you!

Hiraedd - I have a few ideas for more Cardio, but at the moment i am attempting to rollerblade for at least 2 hours. (Attempting, because i ordered them and received the wrong boot size!) as for now, i am sticking with Hiking and so far i've been doing it every day! I want to stay away from the Gym treadmills and what not, as i find it's way too easy to step off; whereas Hiking i'm committed to reach the top of the trail and walk back down! ;]

Any suggestions for additional cardio is helpful! I'm slightly tight on money at the moment and i'd like to avoid using treadmills, olypticals and stair masters if i can. I do, however, use multiple weight machines to restore the muscle i've lost over the years! Nothing too exerting, but i do work my arms and legs!

RandomWanderer - Thanks! And no, i haven't viewed his blogs yet as i'm currently trying to keep focused with studying for the Accuplacer Test Review. Sadly, i got a 69. 5 points short of 74, which is what's required to take the EMT-B course at Mesa Community College! So, i'll try to explore Steve's Blogs when i can! [:

I do have one question: i keep seeing all of your signatures at the bottom and they look fairly badass! Can i figure out how to earn mine by exploring the site? ;]

-Ghostbird (Sir Edward)

I tried rollerblading once thinking hey, it's just like skating! This should be a breeze....and wow was I wrong. Water does everything in it's power to be flat....ground not so much. Yikes! Good luck with the rollerblading though. It's definately good exercise. Other cardio stuff you could do is actually doing stairs (rather than a stair climber), biking, or intervals. Intervals are what I do now, and they are a great way to get the heart going and burn calories in a short period of time. You just alternate going as hard as you can with walking until your heart rate drops back down to a reasonable level, and then do it again...no treadmill required.

As for the signature, you can check out this thread here. It explains it better than I can, there is also a generator created by one of our NF members (Nuala) that is awesome if you want to "create a character" but are having a hard time figuring it all out.

Good luck!! :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I highly suggest reading his blogs as it will help you with your new outlook on life. He talks often about now matter what issues and troubles you have you can turn it around with baby steps and positive habit building.

as for our badass sigs, it all has to do with picking a class and doing challenges.. here are some links for you that will explain.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17753-Real-Life-Roleplaying-Making-Your-NF-Character-and-Updating-Your-Signature

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17755-Real-Life-Roleplaying-Attribute-Points-and-the-Challenges

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

You might also want to consider some sort of strength training on the days you don't hike. If you like hiking, I would definitely keep that up, its great exercise and you will keep doing what you like. The strength training will build muscle, which burns calories faster than fat when you do cardio. Good luck

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Archived